G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do about rust stained seat belts

2 posters

Go down

What to do about rust stained seat belts Empty What to do about rust stained seat belts

Post by lagunaman Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Anyone ever get the seat belts cleaned or replaced My seat belts are kind of a sandy colored . The interior is white and am debating about getting them rebuilt . So what did you do and how much ? Thanks

lagunaman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

What to do about rust stained seat belts Empty Re: What to do about rust stained seat belts

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:49 am

I've harvested a lot of belts from the JY's over the years and have learned that it's impossible to remove rust stains completely.  On dark colors, they can be cleaned so that they aren't quite as noticeable.  Light saddle tan...never to my liking.  That leaves replacement as your only real option.  I once called Snake-Oyl in TX who is a well known seat belt restorer about 5 yrs ago.  If memory serves, they quoted $135 per side just to replace the front retractable shoulder strap.  That didn't include restoring the retractor assembly hardware if that's the source of your rust problem. If you can find someone who will sew seat belt fabric, you can do these yourself (contact me and I would gladly share the how to's).  But, due to liability issues, I found that nobody in my area would touch it.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down