G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Schematics/Vin Lookup

+4
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Hawk03
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
dvolcensek
8 posters

Go down

Schematics/Vin Lookup Empty Schematics/Vin Lookup

Post by dvolcensek Fri May 14, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi all! My dad recently passed away and left me his 1974 Laguna S3. It is a big block 454 with a manual transmission and it's numbers matching. We were slowly getting it restored but unfortunately he passed before it was even close to being finished. I have the same car in a small block so I have a reference, but does anyone know where I can find schematics for everything? I promised him I would finish it and I want to make sure everything is right. I have the Chilton's service manual but as you can guess, it's not all encompassing. Also, he used to say this one was relatively rare but I don't know much more on that. Is there a way to use the 13 digit Vin to find out more about it? Everything I have found wants a 17 character Vin which.... it was the 70's come on now.

Thank you for any help!
dvolcensek
dvolcensek
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Schematics/Vin Lookup Empty Re: Schematics/Vin Lookup

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Fri May 14, 2021 6:47 pm

Hey. Sorry about your dad. The Chilton manual has let me down on many occasions. I just completely re-wired my entire car and the manual was not much help at all. I know a member on here that has the original dealer service manuals that has the info that you need. You can find them on eBay sometimes. What exactly are you trying to do? Where do you live? I might get bored one day and come help you.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

dvolcensek likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri May 14, 2021 9:19 pm

Glad you are able to work on the car and hope you are finished with it soon.

This search is for older VINs: http://www.vinwiz.com/
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat May 15, 2021 12:10 pm

What you need is a factory service manual like this. It will be a lifesaver. You can purchase these on Ebay and Amazon. It covers electrical, mechanical, torque specs, etc. It will be the best $40-$50 you'll ever spend.

Schematics/Vin Lookup 1974_f10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sat May 15, 2021 12:37 pm

“It will be the best $40-$50 you'll ever spend.”

I don’t know about that. I remember this time in Saipan.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dvolcensek Sat May 15, 2021 1:35 pm

Thank you! I thought this would give me more lol. Apparently it was made in Maryland so that's cool. But the other stuff I knew. I really appreciate the help!

Hawk03 wrote:Glad you are able to work on the car and hope you are finished with it soon.

This search is for older VINs: http://www.vinwiz.com/
dvolcensek
dvolcensek
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dvolcensek Sat May 15, 2021 1:40 pm

Well I'm not too sure what I'm in for to be honest. It's been sitting in the garage in the same spot for 40 years. I have the parts and we already rebuilt the engine and mounted it to the trans on the frame. I know I need to put the body mounts in (which I have and the service manual shows where they go) and then just the norm I guess. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a wiring harness so I think that is my biggest obstacle. Other than that just getting it to run, body work, and oh bumper fillers! Does anyone know where I can get those? My dad hadine custom made so if I have to I can use mine as a mold. I just need to know where to go or if someone already makes them.

REVINKEVIN wrote:Hey. Sorry about your dad. The Chilton manual has let me down on many occasions. I just completely re-wired my entire car and the manual was not much help at all. I know a member on here that has the original dealer service manuals that has the info that you need. You can find them on eBay sometimes. What exactly are you trying to do?  Where do you live?  I might get bored one day and come help you.
dvolcensek
dvolcensek
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sat May 15, 2021 6:34 pm

Hey. Post some pictures of the car. This could turn out to be a great build.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat May 15, 2021 7:28 pm

Good luck with your resto. As for the wiring harness. Id look up M&H electric. They my exact stock factory replacement harnesses for our cars that are plug and play. They even have some options like if you have a points distributor but will be installing HEI, they have that harness. And they cover options like a/c or no a/c, manual trans harness, round gauge lights or actual gauges, etc. Ive used several of theirs and they are all excellent down to colors, sheathing and clips. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat May 15, 2021 10:51 pm

Welcome Aboard Really Sorry to hear about your Father, Im sure he is looking down smiling at the Progress your making Share some Pictures when you can

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by dvolcensek Sun May 16, 2021 10:20 am

Wow! Thank you so much! That would make things so much easier!

Joe73 wrote:Good luck with your resto.  As for the wiring harness.  Id look up M&H electric.  They my exact stock factory replacement harnesses for our cars that are plug and play.  They even have some options like if you have a points distributor but will be installing HEI, they have that harness.  And they cover options like a/c or no a/c, manual trans harness, round gauge lights or actual gauges, etc.  Ive used several of theirs and they are all excellent down to colors, sheathing and clips.  Good luck with it.  
dvolcensek
dvolcensek
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dvolcensek Sun May 16, 2021 10:28 am

Thank you so much. I haven't started it yet but I will for sure be taking pictures when I do Smile

Limey SE wrote:Welcome Aboard Really Sorry to hear about your Father, Im sure he is looking down smiling at the Progress your making Share some Pictures when you can
dvolcensek
dvolcensek
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sun May 16, 2021 10:48 pm

Welcome. Take your time and enjoy the journey. You said that you have one also, post pictures of yours too.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Wed May 19, 2021 11:45 am

Hi and welcome. Here you will find alot of help and knowledge. When i restored my 75 chevelle, i bought a complete wiring harness from the elcamino store.com the elcamino and chevelle is the same. Only rear light harness is different. The have all years and options, different gauges and so on. God luck
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by dvolcensek Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 am

g3chevy wrote:What you need is a factory service manual like this. It will be a lifesaver. You can purchase these on Ebay and Amazon. It covers electrical, mechanical, torque specs, etc. It will be the best $40-$50 you'll ever spend.

AhhhSchematics/Vin Lookup 1974_f10
Ahh. Amidst the other Chiltons I found the exact same one!
dvolcensek
dvolcensek
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down