G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Valve Seals

2 posters

Go down

Valve Seals  Empty Valve Seals

Post by 76 Malibu Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:25 pm

While I am doing some upgrades on my engine this year, I have decided to replace the valve stem seals on the heads. I am going to do the job without removing the heads. Does anyone have any recommendations on some decent valve stem seals for my '76 350? I am assuming I can get something better than what Chevy used in '76.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Valve Seals  Empty Re: Valve Seals

Post by Joe73 Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:10 pm

I would take a look at seal made from Viton. That stuff is excellent. I have a viton material rear main seal in my engine.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:36 am

I am assuming that my car would have come equipped with just the o-ring style seals. I was thinking of going to an umbrella seal and the o-ring. I like the idea of Viton. Looking at Rock Auto, Fel-Pro lists both the o-ring and umbrella seals for my car, but I think they are just rubber.

Does anyone have a specific part number/brand that would work with stock 1976 350 heads?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:05 am

I see some on summit from Manley. Notice the different valve diameters. Might need to make a call to Manley to confirm size. https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/engine-valve-stem-oil-seals/product-line/manley-viton-valve-stem-seals

https://www.jegs.com/p/COMP-Cams/Comp-Cams-Viton-Metal-Body-Valve-Stem-Seals/1122701/10002/-1

More should come up if you google viton valve seals.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks for the links, but those are all positive stop seals. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the positive stops only work on factory heads after machining? That's why I thought my only options were umbrella seals or o-rings.

When I have more time, I will search around Summits website to see what I can find.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down