G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

69 ss

3 posters

Go down

69 ss  Empty 69 ss

Post by Tim Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:49 am

Just a quick question, what is a 69 chevelle ss worth ? It's a non numbers matching,non running,needs all pan replacement,has parts,needs completely restored etc. Im guessing it's worth lk $3500 as is, how far off am I?.

Tim
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

69 ss  Empty Re: 69 ss

Post by Iggy Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:19 am

That is a tough question to answer, you would need to do some research to determine where to start. In 1969 the SS was an option on any model 2-door with any engine, not just the 396 big blocks. To even start to evaluate you need to know what model you have (300 Deluxe or Malibu) and what engine and trans originally came in the vehicle. Then you will come upon the wall of the lowest rating for pricing is for "Fair Condition" - Complete running drivable vehicle with cosmetic issues but no rust.

Here is an example of a car in "Fair Condition" that is for sale, though not a Chevelle SS - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/188226726658491/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Adbd96d83-001c-4a47-a3b1-fc5f1ca31571
I used to own this car and is now owned by my son and he is selling. As you can see "Fair" is a long way from what you describe.

I think you need to contact an expert on that generation of Chevelle, someone that knows how to identify an actual SS and is more familiar with repairs of that body - if it truly is an SS, I think you are low if it is restorable. You may want to post some photos of what you have and ask the same question on Team Chevelle, there are a lot of folks there that know a whole lot more about the 1968 and 1969 Chevelles there, they even have a "What is it worth" section.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:26 am

Will check into it more , thanks

Tim
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:41 pm

Actually the Chevelle could ONLY be an SS 396 in 69. The Camaro and the Nova could be an ss350. Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure if the car is a true SS without a build sheet. Up to 68, the SS was differentiated by a 138 VIN code where the standard was a 136. There are tell tale signs for a big block car, however, many of these parts could be bought aftermarket now. Hopefully this car is untouched or has been sitting long enough to be outside the clone realm.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:46 pm

The body tag says it's a Malibu but not the original engine to check the numbers on, color code on the tag is green not orange or yellow. So is that a way to differentiate between the two?

Tim
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:42 pm

What rearend is in it?
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:30 am

Thanks for the info guys, the guy is no longer responding to my messages so I'm guessing it's not a tru SS car and not wanting me to look at it to inspect and assure it was.

Tim
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Unfortunately without some distinguishing facts, you have to assume it isn’t. My 70 has no buildsheet. But if I look for the tell tale signs, big block steering shaft, f-41 rear arms and sway bar, gauge dash etc etc. But even in the tach it’s got a mismatched 5000 rpm tach that should have been in a small block car. So does that mean it’s not an ss? In my case no, the car was built in Canada so the tach was probably incorrect at build or all they had left. Being mine was built in Canada it was required (unlike the us) to stamp z25m40 on the trim tag. On a build sheet these codes would be ss396 t-400 trans.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info but unfortunately I Can't find out anything else, he's not responding to my messages anymore or pics of tags etc. Makes me suspicious so done with it to be honest.

Tim
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum