G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WOW, have parts gotten expensive!

+7
Mcarlo77
relic7680
impalamonte
ant7377
1973 454 MONTE
crice63
zucchi
11 posters

Go down

WOW, have parts gotten expensive! Empty WOW, have parts gotten expensive!

Post by 77camino Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:43 am

I can’t believe that NOS parts have got this expensive for our cars. I bought a NOS set of wheel well moldings about 15 years ago for $250.  I understand supply in demand, but I’m still shocked.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-77-Chevelle-El-Camino-NOS-wheel-opening-moldings-Full-set-of-4-/284652304218?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

WOW, have parts gotten expensive! Empty Re: WOW, have parts gotten expensive!

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:09 am

Back in '97 (a year after I picked up my '77 Monte), I went looking for wheel opening moldings. Even then, it was a scavenger hunt trying to find one here and one there at various dealerships around the country as they were already discontinued. When I did find them, the price was $54/ea. for the fronts and $30/ea. for the rears. Guess this Seller figures someone will pay his price for the convenience of getting all four at one time.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:32 am

The price of unobtainum will forever continue to increase.

If you can arrange for someone to tool up to bang out 100,000 sets and saturate the market, you may be able to get these for less.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:35 pm

The dies to re-create these x4....would cost a minimum half million each . And I may be low in that assumption.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:54 pm

impalamonte wrote:The dies to re-create these x4....would cost a minimum half million each .  And I may be low in that assumption.

Using that scenario, @ $2M, that comes out to $20.00/set for 100,000 sets plus materials and labor. Even if the dies were twice as much, then adding material, labor, and profit…, who here wouldn't pay $200.00 or even $300.00/set for pristine new manufacture pieces?

The biggest challenge would be to find 100,000 buyers.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:42 pm

Don't some of these companies get ahold of the original dies? That would be the way to go here.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by relic7680 Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:26 am

I've been after a set for my '76 for years....saw some during my early days on eBay ('05-'06) but passed on them for a few hundred bucks. That was a mistake. I still don't think these cars are popular enough for somebody to justify reproducing good ones, unfortunately.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:42 am

monte parts are not that cheap either...ww moldings sold for 1800$.

so glad i bought mine in 88 for $10 each..
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:39 pm

Be thankful if you are only looking for Chevy parts.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:29 pm

This is why you'll never see much in the way of repro trims for our cars...a couple wks ago I decided I needed to run back out to my favorite yard (French Lake Auto) where I've had such great luck finding nice parts over the years.  It had been a year and a half since I'd last been there.  They had not gotten any new G3 arrivals in that time (which was very unusual for this yard) and had crushed a few of the old ones.  Of those still remaining, as far as I could tell, not one had been picked thru since the last time I was there.  In some cases, I noticed the parts I had set aside inside the cars were exactly where I had left them after deciding not to buy; including a floor console/shifter assembly.  That, and along with my keeping a pretty watchful eye on Craigslist while noticing that what few parts are listed linger unsold for months...and, who knows if they ever sell, or the Seller just pulls the listing.  Maybe things are different on Facebook marketplace...but, I just don't think this area I live in has much of an interest for these cars.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:24 pm

I've wondered the same as to why more reproduction parts are not made for our vehicles. Companies like MotoRealm have faithfully reproduced the wheel well trim for 73-77 Lemans/Grand Am/Can Am vehicles and they cost $250 a set. Maybe with the advent of 3-D printers they were able to make inexpensive molds to produce these??? I have confidence that more and more reasonably priced reproduction parts will be available for our cars in the near future.

WOW, have parts gotten expensive! Motore10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:11 pm

I remember buying them in the dealer for 25 bucks each. I even bought them down at Carlisle for fifty bucks each at the end of the 90s. I wonder if they can be 3d printed and wrapped in chrome 3m wrap? You would think they would sell well since they cross 5 years of Monte Carlo's and the low rider crowd likes them on the cars.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:49 pm

Sad to hear Mcarlo77. French Lake has been one of my go to yards for parts for our cars. I haven't had the need for anything lately though. Great yard for sure.
As for these cars here in the Twin Cities, they're out there. I've seen a few more in the last couple of years in my daily travels. Not to mention that this body style has gotten a little bit more attention on late at some of the big auctions.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:53 am

Also, one would think that our cars would be gaining popularity as a lower cost alternative to get into the car hobby.

Stylish , 2-door , etc.

Guys...have you seen the prices people are asking for old 4-door cars?.....unreal at times!!

64-72 Chevelle , Nova , Camaro are mostly outside the realm of purchase due to outrageous "asking price" for people wanting to "get in".
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by relic7680 Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:14 pm

I've seen some crazy asking prices for marginal 73-77 El Camino/Sprint as of late....but who knows if these cars are actually selling....maybe just dreamers trying to ride this bubble that's about to pop. Dolled up parts cars for 8 grand and so on....ridiculous.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:49 am

$525 for a set of 76/77 nos headlight trim bezels! I know they are nos but that’s outrageous.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403499759129?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qI-umWVgRha&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XCaKMidBRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:15 am

77camino wrote:$525 for a set of 76/77 nos headlight trim bezels! I know they are nos but that’s outrageous.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403499759129?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qI-umWVgRha&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XCaKMidBRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And, then to ask Buyer to pay shipping on top of that!

Then there is this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225030875190?hash=item3464e2a836:g:TIwAAOSwGo1iplmj
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:59 pm

relic7680 wrote:I've seen some crazy asking prices for marginal 73-77 El Camino/Sprint as of late....but who knows if these cars are actually selling....maybe just dreamers trying to ride this bubble that's about to pop. Dolled up parts cars for 8 grand and so on....ridiculous.

I would have to agree relic7680. These cars take a "special" kind of person. Oh wait.. I meant a determined type of person. lol I bought mine in 16 when prices were a lot lower. I paid $2500 for a running driving Chevelle. To date I have around $9500 total investment in it. This includes everything I've done to it already, and the needed parts and materials to finish it. Finish it? Yeah right! I feel I'm still on the good side of what I could possibly get for it, as opposed what I have in it.
I think some of those selling now might be the ones that are in it to make some good money on a p.o.s. they've had laying around for some time. Those of us that hang on to them thru this time are the ones the appreciate what these cars have to offer. Loads of good times, go fast, and handle very nicely. And don't forget. They're sexy!WOW, have parts gotten expensive! Barn16
WOW, have parts gotten expensive! 18154410
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Limey SE, crice63 and relic7680 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:25 am

Here is a good one. I really do like original/nos parts but $100 for two license plate bolts is a bit much. I can do local parts stores on this one for a couple bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165556682697?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Pnc0OaA3Txm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XCaKMidBRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:24 pm

77camino wrote:Here is a good one. I really do like original/nos parts but $100 for two license plate bolts is a bit much. I can do local parts stores on this one for a couple bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165556682697?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Pnc0OaA3Txm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XCaKMidBRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And they are charging for shipping LOL!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

WOW, have parts gotten expensive! Empty search term circus

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:59 am

A big part of the problem with sites like ebay or amazon are their non standard descriptions coupled with search term sensitivity. Wheel well trim, wheel arch trim, wheel opening moldings are variants used by listers. I'm sure there are others. You will get wildly different search results using those different terms. Would you believe that you get very different results putting in 1973 malibu or 73 malibu etc? If you are looking for parts there you have to use a wide assortment of search terms. Ironically I did see a set of NOS wheel trims listed for a modest price of about $100 not long ago but didn't need them so I never bid on them. Maybe i could have flipped them for double the price if I had this thread then. I can't remember how they were described but must have been with odd terms to not get snapped up.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down