G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little ink -

+2
Limey SE
Keith Seymore
6 posters

Go down

A little ink - Empty A little ink -

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:37 pm

Just saw this on the NMCA web page:

https://www.nmcadigital.com/blog/keith-seymore-is-committed-to-honing-his-skills-and-his-combo-for-multiple-drag-racing-classes/2148

A little ink - Attachment
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Limey SE, 73ss, Finn Monte and jpowen49 like this post

Back to top Go down

A little ink - Empty Re: A little ink -

Post by Limey SE Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:24 am

Very Cool Keith Way to represent the G3's

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:35 pm

Keith, what a great write up on you and your Chevelle!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:49 am

So - I lied in the article about the wheels.

After 44 years I'm dropping the rallys and going after the weight savings.

These are what I have chosen:

Between those and going from the factory swivel buckets to aftermarket lightweight race bucket seats I'm hoping to net about 90 lbs savings.

Going from the 4 point bar with standard steel (60 lbs) to a full 8 point cage in chrome moly - I'm hoping that will be a wash.

I just figured when you get down into the nines (mid nines, maybe) that it's ok to make some concessions in appearance.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:17 am

That is a serious wheel/tire combo. They should look great on your car and hopefully get you a smaller number on your time slip.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:54 am

I really liked the Hoosiers that I've run for the last several years:

They hook as good as a M/T drag slick - but - Nitto is paying a $1000 bonus if you win in True Street.

So - I figured if I can win that once this year then that's paid for a couple sets of tires.

K

Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:40 pm

So does that mean Limey may actually have a chance to grab them 10" rear wheels or keeping them for street cough cough use. I cant wait to see how much the weight takes off your time, Good Luck Be safe and come back with a timeslip Please

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:43 pm

Keith - Nice write up, what a background you have!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:19 pm

Any future Norwalk dates?

Does the class require an exhaust? If so, What are you running for a exhaust system?
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:47 pm

Keith Seymore wrote:So - I lied in the article about the wheels.

Between those and going from the factory swivel buckets to aftermarket lightweight race bucket seats I'm hoping to net about 90 lbs savings.

Going from the 4 point bar with standard steel (60 lbs) to a full 8 point cage in chrome moly - I'm hoping that will be a wash.

I just figured when you get down into the nines (mid nines, maybe) that it's ok to make some concessions in appearance.

K

Here's the seats.

Factory swivel bucket (31 lbs for the seat portion, less swivel) and the racing bucket on the right (12 lbs).

I'm pretty tickled with the way that seat cover turned out.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:55 pm

73ss wrote:Any future Norwalk dates?

Does the class require an exhaust? If so, What are you running for a exhaust system?

Yes - NMCA Norwalk is August 24th-27th.

Nostalgia Muscle does not require an exhaust.   True Street requires some kind of exhaust, DOT tire, insurance and registration.

For many years I ran 4" intermediate pipes into Flowmasters, with turn downs at the rear axle.  That complete setup was 60 lbs.

Last year mid season I went to a Dynomax bullet muffler right on the header collector.  That really picked it up, either because of the weight or the flow, and that's pretty much when I started hitting the nines with some regularity.

K

Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:28 pm

Keith Seymore wrote:
Keith Seymore wrote:So - I lied in the article about the wheels.

K

Here's the seats.

Factory swivel bucket (31 lbs for the seat portion, less swivel) and the racing bucket on the right (12 lbs).

I'm pretty tickled with the way that seat cover turned out.

K

Seats turned out great!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:06 am

I agree with G3 they almost perfect match to original color of swivels if you didnt know you swapped them you never would know

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:22 pm

Keith Seymore wrote:
73ss wrote:Any future Norwalk dates?

Yes - NMCA Norwalk is August 24th-27th.

Nostalgia Muscle does not require an exhaust.   True Street requires some kind of exhaust, DOT tire, insurance and registration.

For many years I ran 4" intermediate pipes into Flowmasters, with turn downs at the rear axle.  That complete setup was 60 lbs.

Last year mid season I went to a Dynomax bullet muffler right on the header collector.  That really picked it up, either because of the weight or the flow, and that's pretty much when I started hitting the nines with some regularity.

K

I'll Try my best to get out there, I'll drive my '73. It's an hour plus from here.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue May 09, 2023 2:03 pm

Aw righty! - I have an update.  I'll type the long version but put a summary paragraph at the last in case anyone wants to just skip to the end.

I got the call from the chassis shop last Monday (5/1).  I hustled over there about supper time while Ernie finished up a couple extraneous beads and got the car loaded and right back home.  No issues with the car starting after being in the shop all winter, or with moving around.

So now - I'm faced with a dilemma:  My next race would be that very next weekend (5/5-5/7), in St Louis.  Do I hustle and try to get there, or let it go and wait for Martin at the end of July?  If you can surmise anything about me from my posts I bet you can guess my decision.  I elected to try my best to get there.

Keep in mind the car interior is totally stripped out and the windshield is out, both to help facilitate the cage install, and because I broke it.  Next stop is the glass shop - which is a whole separate story - but suffice to say the car was returned to me Wednesday early afternoon with glass intact.

At that point some priorities seemed to be in order.  I figured I'd better focus on the things that would get me to St Louis and let go of some things that could wait until after.  As a result the plan shaped up that I would leave the cage raw/unpainted, leave the new carpet out (I needed it out to get the cage certified anyway), no new headliner, and not attempt to fit the lightweight seats.

I set about swapping tire/wheels around, loading the seats and belts, putting all the stickers back on (that took the better part of an evening) and cleaning, Cleaning, CLEANING!  My goodness, everything I owned looked like 10 miles of bad road.  Using all the time available for completion I finished up about 9 pm Thursday night and my son and I set out with the idea of being at the track when the gates opened Friday morning.

After driving through the night (we did stop and get 4 hours of sleep - a luxury) we arrived at the track without incident.  I got through tech with my usual ET limitation and safety limitation of 10 flat with no issues, and then was handed off to an NHRA inspector to get the chassis cert on the cage.  No issues, and he applied the sticker and I was on my way.  Car is now certified to 8.50's, that’s done done.

Next up was to talk to the competition officials about licensing passes.  There are 6 passes required, of varying degrees of acceleration, and your performance is signed off by a track official and two current license holders.  License passes must be singles (bye runs) and so can only take place during time trials and qualifying.  I left my paperwork with "Brad" the competition director and waited for the call to the lanes.

You may recall I also was trying out some new tires and new lightweight wheels.  The tire purchase hinged on the manufacturer, Nitto, paying $1000 bonus to win in my "True Street" class.  I attempted three passes on these and could not get them to hook at all.  I went back to my year old Hoosiers so that I could get down the track and by the end of the day Friday I had two licensing passes (three passes total) under my belt.

Saturday is always a big day for me, because it is a continuation of time runs and then qualifying for the Nostalgia Muscle class, plus the True Street 30 mile cruise and three competition runs, and often the first round of eliminations for Nostalgia Muscle.  I was able to get two more license passes and made it through the 30 mile cruise – and that’s when things began to unravel.

Since I still needed two more lic passes, and since in True Street you are racing the clock (and  not the guy in the other lane) I asked “Brad” the competition director if I could get those last two lic passes during my True Street “elimination” runs.  He debated, but ended up saying “sure”.  That way I figured when I left the track I’d have everything I needed to send the paperwork in and be done.  Well – when I pulled to the line the official pulled another car up next to me and waved me in.  He came over and said “no licensing passes during eliminations – them’s the rules” and I certainly was in no place to argue, being fully suited up and sitting in the car with it running.  So I pulled in, did my burnout and made an easy 10.20 pass – and then heard all kinda noise.

I shut it off on the return road and had Joseph retrieve me and tow me back to the pit area.  We pulled the valve covers and checked the lash and discovered a problem with #7 exhaust.  Since we weren’t going anywhere we elected to continue with the diagnosis and yanked the intake manifold to determine that the roller was missing off the #7 exhaust lifter.  We were unable to remove the broken pieces from the lifter bore in the block – so – engine’s got to come out and we were all done.

Winched the car up into the trailer, threw all the removed parts into the bed of the truck, and headed for home Sunday morning.  They car is now in the garage, up in the air, getting ready for the motor to come out and off to the engine builder.

So – in terms of the aforementioned summary:

Cage Cert – check
Licensing passes – 4 out of 6 complete
Win True Street (nope) and get that sweet, sweet Nitto contingency money?  - Double nope
Nostalgia Muscle – didn’t even make it to the first round

It looks a lot worse when you say it like that.  All the hard stuff - bar placement, visibility, head clearance with the helmet on, swing out function, access to door handle and window cranks, window net fit and ease of use, new full face helmet, etc - was good.  I can have the motor out in about 45 minutes and I doubt it will take Scott long to turn it around.  I can be painting the cage and installing the carpet and headliner and seats while he is doing that, so I don’t foresee any problem being ready for Martin by the end of July.

With that, here now are some engineering documentation photos of the install, and a couple lame attempts at glamour photos of the outside demonstrating the new tire/wheel assemblies.

K

Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE and 76Chevelle2Tone like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue May 09, 2023 4:20 pm

Not gonna Lie gonna take me some time to get used to the new Look of wheels your rallies were your trademark and now well you kinda blend in still Looks good just no rally, And good call on ending the trip and taking home to fix and get it fixed right.

What caused the break though of the rocker that's what you have to figure out I guess Keep us posted, Anthony

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:13 pm

Ok - I'm ready for an update:

The motor is put back together and in the car.  I did a quick test session at "Lapeer International Dragway" last weekend and managed a 9.97 so I'm back in the game.  (There's more to the story than that but that is the briefest summary).

Roll cage is now painted, padded and the interior back in the car:  home made rear package tray, rear seat installed as before, new carpet, new lightweight bucket seats and new belts (same as old belts but the cert had expired).  Only thing lacking at this point is the new headliner, which I have but will install later.

Next event is this weekend at US131 Dragway in Martin, Michigan.  Plan is to finish the last two licensing passes and then participate in NMCA Nostalgia Muscle and True Street categories.

K

Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE, fasrnur, Finn Monte and 76Chevelle2Tone like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:35 pm

Best looking 9 second car out there! Can't believe these big old A Body cars can move that fast!

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:54 am

This came in the mail last night:

Same content as the blog, in the first post, but in print form.

I was not expecting that.  I figured my 15 minutes were over after the electronic version.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:57 am

And I still intend to do a full summary of the 2023 race season, because there is a lot to report, but here are some partial results from Indy a couple weekends ago (since I'm here):

Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:16 pm

Congratulations. Andy Warhol has been contacted to update his remarks.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum