G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash Swap Tips, Anyone?

+2
73ss
73 ss wgn
6 posters

Go down

Dash Swap Tips, Anyone? Empty Dash Swap Tips, Anyone?

Post by 73 ss wgn Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:56 pm

The dash in my 73 had multiple cracks. I bought a complete used one in much better shape years ago, and finally got around to sending it to Just Dashes for a restoration. Not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for. Anyhow, I'm screwing up the courage to do the swap, the entire piece, not just the pad.

The dash light dimmer function is crunchy and inconsistent, so I'm putting a new headlight switch in. I'm also installing an original AM/FM/8 Track stereo and a new dash speaker and every single dash light bulb will be new. Anything else anyone can think of that will be easy to replace now and a PITA when it dies a month from now?
Thanks!

73 ss wgn
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Dash Swap Tips, Anyone? Empty Re: Dash Swap Tips, Anyone?

Post by 73ss Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:06 pm

Heater core, especially if it's a A/C car.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:31 pm

I'm making plans to do the same thing in a year or two although I'm not going to spend 2k .on Just Dashes. Besides the heater core you should also check the box itself for proper function. Also the air duct tubes which have a tendency to fray and tear, The firewall insulation should also be checked. I have a slight issue with a Bowden cable as well. And what about the dash wire harness. Does that just about cover it??
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 ss wgn Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Why did someone have to jinx me and say "heater core"?

73 ss wgn
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:44 pm

While your replacing the heater core, be sure and clean and test your vacuum motors. (4) if its an a/c car.
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:30 am

This is the best time to clean up and tidy up everything all the previous monkeys "jury rigged" under the dash. (what seems like) A million years ago (actually, it was around 1987) when I replaced my dash pad, I traced each wire and compared it to the diagram in the service manual. I found a few that made me wonder if they may have been causing/contributing to some of the odd and erratic electrical behaviors I'd been observing. I rearranged them per the factory diagram and added some redundant grounding wires. Cleared up all the problems.

I wish I had this advice when I replaced my dash pad.
76Chevelle2Tone wrote:I have a slight issue with a Bowden cable as well.
I second what 76Chevelle2Tone said about a Bowden cable. I wish I had replaced/reinforced the temperature selector/adjustment cable for my AC/heater control. The plastic connector on the end that attaches to the door (don't recall the specific name of that "door" but it you'll recognize it when you see it) broke within a year of my dash pad replacement. If yours is intact, I suggest you reinforce it with JB weld and lubricate it while it's out.

If now or sometime in the future you intend to add anything such as auxiliary gauges or any factory options that your car didn't come with, now would be the time to prep the foundation (laying wires, splicing connectors, drilling holes and installing grommets, etc.).
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 ss wgn Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:48 pm

Great thoughts!

I have a factory cruise control set up so I might as well put that and the new speedo cable in. Mission creep may turn this into a two month project.

73 ss wgn
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:57 pm

73 ss wgn wrote:Great thoughts!
I have a factory cruise control set…
I suggest you look over the cruise control thread: https://www.g3gm.com/t11302-cruise-control
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:15 pm

I ran a few wires from on the top of the dash from the passenger side to the drivers side in case I wanted to add anything in the future. I installed two aux fuse panels on the passenger side so if I need to run power, I have a couple of options.

Here is the fuse panel thread.
https://www.g3gm.com/t12091-additional-fuse-panel
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down