G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash Pad For Sale

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dash Pad For Sale - Page 2 Empty Re: Dash Pad For Sale

Post by zucchi Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:36 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:…non-A/C dash (1-pc) … A/C dash (2-pc).

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm still puzzled by the 1-pc vs 2-pc thing. Does 1-pc mean the pad or cap is permanently affixed to the frame?
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:48 pm

Thanks very much for the pictures mcarlo . I didn't intend for people to exert themselves. Again the dashes that are pictured here are visually different than the one in the listing in the area of the instrument cluster. They also appear visually different than the GM illustration. Your point about the air ducts is relevant for the large opening on the left that has different shapes across the various dashes discussed.

It is necessary to remember that the listed dash has not come out of a specific car but instead  has never been installed. I assume though he must have been the one who painted it in rather slapdash fashion. We also don't know its origin and when purchased. That's all I'm saying. I have no idea whether the differences of the dashes posted here with the listed dash (and also the GM illustration) are merely cosmetic or have a functional difference. I asked the seller again if they could find a part number on the back anywhere and showed them the GM illustration of the dash to compare.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:18 pm

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm still puzzled by the 1-pc vs 2-pc thing. Does 1-pc mean the pad or cap is permanently affixed to the frame

Yes...the upper portion of the dash can be separated from the lower portion on the 2-pc. Would think this would make it much easier and cheaper to have restored. An easy way to tell which one you have without removing the instrument cluster/bezel is to open the car door and look at the outer end of the dash. A 1-pc will only have two mtg screws. A 2-pc will have three (see attached photo).

Dash Pad For Sale - Page 2 20231014
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:32 pm

Quote: "Thanks very much for the pictures mcarlo . I didn't intend for people to exert themselves. Again the dashes that are pictured here are visually different than the one in the listing in the area of the instrument cluster. They also appear visually different than the GM illustration. Your point about the air ducts is relevant for the large opening on the left that has different shapes across the various dashes discussed."

I'm still not sure what you are seeing that is different...other than I have the left vent duct housing installed on both of mine in the pics. I'm still certain there is no functional difference in any of these dashes and can all be interchanged within the '73-'77 makes/models. Exception being the dash emblem mount specifically on the '73 vs '74-'77.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

zucchi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:01 pm

I thank you again mcarlo for taking the time to respond. I can see at least three areas that have visually different openings /apertures among the dashes here, the listed dash and the GM illustration but that is unimportant if they are all functionally the same apart from the A/C.  I think this is sort of like the discussion about rear sway bars where the more we looked the more different ones we found but all were functional. That's the only question I was trying to nail down.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:20 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:I can see at least three areas that have visually different openings /apertures among the dashes here…
You must have much keener eyes than me. The only difference I could see was in the area I circled in yellow; one looks flat whereas the other looks recessed.
Dash Pad For Sale - Page 2 20231010
Dash Pad For Sale - Page 2 20231011

And, of course, that big ol' crack…
Dash Pad For Sale - Page 2 Dash10
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:36 pm

Zucchi I don't want to belabor this and be tiresome for folks because I am now convinced that the differences are cosmetic not functional. I was very analytical because $1600 is too large a sum to throw away on a mistake particularly given the unknown origin of the ebay listed dash.

To satisfy your curiosity the 3 areas are 1. the shape of the large opening for the air duct on the far left side, 2. the area above the rectangular opening that is just above the steering column and 3. the area where the clock is.  For 1 the exact shape of the opening differs between the dashes here, the ebay dash and the GM illustration. For 2 some dashes have an opening just above and to the right of the rectangle opening above the steering column while others have what looks like a Chevy cross (not sure if if it is an opening or logo. For 3. on some dashes there is one long oval opening while on others there are two separate openings.

I hope that's clear enough haha. But as you pointed out with the recessed/flat area, there are likely different vendors making slightly different dashes that nevertheless can be installed correctly. I do wonder at the variety of shapes for the left side air duct and the fact that none seem close to the GM illustration. I also agree that in the end the possible large crack is the most concerning issue to which I have yet to get a response.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:38 pm

So, after examining both dashes again, here is the explanation for the area above the left vent opening being recessed on the red dash (2-pc) vs the flat backing on the black (1-pc) dash...the recess allows for another mtg point/tab for attachment to the upper dash.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:43 pm

MCarlo, thank you very much for that explanation which certainly seems the true one. GM I guess couldn't stand to do things in a simple way. If you standardize the dash across A bodies and then introduce variants like 1 and 2 piece types these will of course require other collateral changes. You have to shake your head. It's unfortunate that they didn't stick with the 2 piece dash as this would make replacement and repair much easier.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:05 pm

Did you ever hear back from this Seller regarding your question about the possible crack...and, what vehicle his/her father bought this for initially? Just wondering as I see nobody bid on it first go-around and it's been relisted. Not responding could be a red flag as Seller has "0" feedback. I got burned by a Seller on an item this summer who had "0" feedback. Knew I was taking a chance, but dollar amount was less than $20. e-Bay reimbursed me however, once I opened a case with them.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:38 pm

The seller is either a bit of a scammer or is out to lunch. First, note that he has zero feedback but doesn't offer an explanation about why he is new to Ebay or whether he has or had other accounts or where these parts are coming from.

Second the items for sale do not appear to be from an estate as claimed and on one of them he notes irrelevantly that "his guy" gave him the part to sell.  Initially I thought from his message  this was just a family estate sale of the parts the "father" had but it is not that at all. They are all priced way over what others are selling the parts for. He has a set of supposedly NOS front and rear bumpers for about $130+120 when others are selling  used ones for about $30 a pair that look better than his ?NOS. He had a very confusing and suspicious write up where he claimed the chrome bumpers were new but the rubber pads were not. He deleted that when relisting the item.

Third, the dash is used not NOS as claimed but I'm not sure to what extent. Re the possible crack he  denied it was a crack but said he wasn't sure what I was referring to. The seller has elcamino in his user name but doesn't seem to know much about el caminos chevelles etc. The part number on the box which he thought was the part number for the dash  isn't of course. Someone threw a used dash into a suitable box and wrote incorrectly that it was a 73-77 dash. Obviously the dash was repainted - adequately but not professionally IMO but the reason is unclear whether for an install or to hide some defects. If it were going for $400 it might be worth it on a dare but I am not paying $1600 with no return for  a used dash of uncertain origin.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:29 pm

I agree...this Seller raises some concerns. Could also be he's a "flipper" who knows of this dash for sale on some other site and he'll be working as a middle-man once purchase is made. Too bad as NOS (if that is what it really is) almost never comes along and somebody would love to have it.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:11 pm

I thought all NOS were black? Anyway this was definitely repainted at some point in its history for unknown reasons  so I do not view it as NOS.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2