G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shift lever knob

4 posters

Go down

Shift lever knob Empty Shift lever knob

Post by texdave Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:25 am

My shift lever knob on my 73 Monte sits loosely on the metal shift lever. It doesn't fully drop into the lever and doesn't look to be a threaded type of application. Am I missing something or do I need to find another knob? Even so, how does a new knob attach to the lever? Is it with some type of sealant or is it just friction?

Shift lever knob Pxl_2011
Shift lever knob Pxl_2010

texdave
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Shift lever knob Empty Re: Shift lever knob

Post by zucchi Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:21 am

It was originally a press-on fit.
In this case, if you want to attach it permanently, use epoxy. If you think you may want to remove it from the shaft sometime in the future, use rubber cement.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:22 pm

I trust you tried tapping it down onto the shaft to get it to fully seat?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:26 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I trust you tried tapping it down onto the shaft to get it to fully seat?
Be sure to remove the shaft from the column before doing that so you don't risk damaging the column.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texdave Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:00 pm

Thanks for the quick answers guys. I have tried to press the knob down onto the shaft with medium pressure (and tamp it a few times using a heavy wrench) but it never fully seats down. There's always a 1/8-1/4 inch gap showing.

I'll find a pick and see if there's anything stuck in the knob itself. If not, I'll have to go on the search for a new knob. Would a knob for another 1973 A-Special model work or is this a Monte specific item?

texdave
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:26 pm

texdave wrote:There's always a 1/8-1/4 inch gap showing.

I'll find a pick and see if there's anything stuck in the knob itself
There's no need to get a new knob unless yours is complete trashed.

Measure the depth of the hole and compare to the length of the shaft. If the hole's too shallow, in other words not deep enough, drill it until it is deep enough.

Last edited by zucchi on Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:57 pm

Not sure if the knobs were the same across the Chevy "A" bodies, but do know they differed among the other GM "A" bodies. This is a peculiar situation as I've never seen one (in JY's or otherwise) come off the shaft like that. Is it possible the lever was replaced from an unknown source (aftermarket, perhaps)?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Back in the 80’s I know I replaced the knob on my 77 El Camino and I think I replaced it on my 74 Malibu also. I bought it from a local parts store and it looks like dorman still makes this and is available at most parts stores today. I remember it took a few hard taps with a rubber mallet to get it on.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down