G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picked up a Console, need parts

+3
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
76 Malibu
7 posters

Go down

Picked up a Console, need parts Empty Picked up a Console, need parts

Post by 76 Malibu Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:07 pm

I picked up this console for $40, but it's not complete. I figured it wa a good deal, but how hard is it to find the remaining parts? The console armrest and compartment and the shifter bezel?  Are these parts unobtainable? Any of the parts reproduced?

Picked up a Console, need parts 20240610
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Picked up a Console, need parts Empty Re: Picked up a Console, need parts

Post by Limey SE Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:23 pm

The Parts Place Inc has the glovebox insert just need to source the padded top or make one and cover it in vinyl

MCARLO77 may have shifter plate if he doesn't check with Nick Wellik on FB

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:12 pm

Armpad will be the hardest part to find. No repros that I'm aware of. Sorry, don't have a spare shifter plate, either.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:38 pm

Thanks for the info on the console insert. So, if it does not have the arm rest pad on it, does it have the  base for the pad?  How does it all go together?

Has anyone ever made there own arm rest pad or is finding an OEM my only option?

I would prefer an original shifter if I can find one, but has anyone ever retrofit an aftermarket shift in these consoles? B&M makes a shifter for a 70s Camaro console. I wonder if it could work in a Malibu  console?

https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/shifters_components_and_accessories/automatic_shifters/quicksilver/parts/80688
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:55 pm

Here's a listing for a used AT shifter bezel trim which may fit. I think you probably need an upholsterer to do the armpad if from scratch unless you have those skills.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276445234152?fits=Model%3AMalibu%7CMake%3AChevrolet&itmmeta=01HZXAW6Y45ZKWC2S1PCT1ZW3D&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8PuTfOoxBmi5posprBgOFO1T0osG%2Fa79dPdxVyNkrhfX6kKT5d4Dv4NTRV1WAEo9Q6P3z5nC%2BBBH6N1vBQ5Wg%2FDJOM5MKNprV8awVVnjhXKhyxpfi2ktY4R3mdmPKvc%2FU7x9SD8gYW%2FchrHJ1tlrmk5rQbyEqtUV8eb3OSFbkEq%2B4GcRNlzeIVvwYepeR09u8ZKn2IFqKd2j%2BkpLmkoa1Vo8ZrFuQm9OHMBaiE7aY3oBZreDcGGaCrRX%2Bh6USm%2FOijZ4uqxErDgxyxnVz0Eg5Dhp0n7qdI7w1NDZN0z96vzEu0GTZ9n6LhQaeokLKNMzsg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5Tv8Kr_Yw
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:06 pm

The OEM arm pad simply attaches to the new box/hinge assembly with four screws.  However, along with the pad, you would need the catch latch that keeps the pad closed...and, the curved stop arm with spring that attaches to the bottom of the arm to aid in keeping the arm pad open.  If those two features aren't an issue for you, I'm certain you could make the pad and cover it with vinyl or some such mat'l. and just attach it to the new box/hinge assembly.

UPDATE: This is the stop arm and spring assembly I was talking about. Best get it now as they are near impossible to find.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304282124933?fits=Year%3A1973%7CModel%3AChevelle&itmmeta=01HZYYCVK2P85X05WG0SJN8WW6&hash=item46d8a0c285:g:VB8AAOSwNk5hzOaQ&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0HzfJgNcmD8Mk5SeNj%2Ba52875eOi%2FOKvBTTbSZsqoTwYOTmSkcKyI3LVTnah8SOTrh3TD%2FifpAPiVKvgkTkhDY2zm0LFuwEm3YUEZxkawoRYAFJ3UbNszt9wp%2FYK8ogaFMMMofXR0XO91XGyqDKW8e0o6%2BgnymaHFA4hocxXTCPXuzBt9GmAD%2BKZWNFAaEVbPCa%2F3Xxm2NgaZCjHMWeTj6sSylAafXz8eUA7RkK3BAjzu2YE8CJEABqGQyvi9MdL7jYHl%2FKnOCd2t89lBabrNDM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9K5s97_Yw
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by relic7680 Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:49 am

Get yourself the GM parts and service manuals for your car, and keep an eye on eBay for the console parts. Also look out on marketplace for part outs.
Eventually, these parts will materialize....but the process will not be quick or inexpensive. That's how getting G3 parts is.....can't just order from a catalog.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:41 am

My Friend Nick in Iowa has the pad he says $120 plus ship from Eastern Iowa Blue and a Tan one your Choice

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:34 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:The OEM arm pad simply attaches to the new box/hinge assembly with four screws.  However, along with the pad, you would need the catch latch that keeps the pad closed...and, the curved stop arm with spring that attaches to the bottom of the arm to aid in keeping the arm pad open.  If those two features aren't an issue for you, I'm certain you could make the pad and cover it with vinyl or some such mat'l. and just attach it to the new box/hinge assembly.

UPDATE:  This is the stop arm and spring assembly I was talking about.  Best get it now as they are near impossible to find.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304282124933?fits=Year%3A1973%7CModel%3AChevelle&itmmeta=01HZYYCVK2P85X05WG0SJN8WW6&hash=item46d8a0c285:g:VB8AAOSwNk5hzOaQ&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0HzfJgNcmD8Mk5SeNj%2Ba52875eOi%2FOKvBTTbSZsqoTwYOTmSkcKyI3LVTnah8SOTrh3TD%2FifpAPiVKvgkTkhDY2zm0LFuwEm3YUEZxkawoRYAFJ3UbNszt9wp%2FYK8ogaFMMMofXR0XO91XGyqDKW8e0o6%2BgnymaHFA4hocxXTCPXuzBt9GmAD%2BKZWNFAaEVbPCa%2F3Xxm2NgaZCjHMWeTj6sSylAafXz8eUA7RkK3BAjzu2YE8CJEABqGQyvi9MdL7jYHl%2FKnOCd2t89lBabrNDM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9K5s97_Yw

Thanks for the information. I will check out that listing. It's too bad G3's are so ignored, you can buy complete console setups for the previous generation Chevelles.

relic7680 wrote:Get yourself the GM parts and service manuals for your car, and keep an eye on eBay for the console parts. Also look out on marketplace for part outs.
Eventually, these parts will materialize....but the process will not be quick or inexpensive. That's how getting G3 parts is.....can't just order from a catalog.

I have the service manual but need to get the parts manual. Do the parts manuals come in digital format? I know I have seen the Ford parts catalogs on DVD.

Limey SE wrote:My Friend Nick in Iowa has the pad he says $120 plus ship from Eastern Iowa Blue and a Tan one your Choice

Do you have an email for him? If so can you PM me. I also found another console that is complete for maybe less money to add all the parts to this one. I might look into getting that one. I knew it would be expensive, but didn't expect it to be this much to complete this console.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by relic7680 Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:16 am

Ebay is really sparse on the post-'75 Chevelle/Malibu GM parts books. But there is ONE right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183771223844
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:34 am

Looks like your console top is a 73-75 design. Make sure the storage compartment lid matches it. The 76-77 design had simulated stitching our the top edge.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:42 am

QUOTE: "I knew it would be expensive, but didn't expect it to be this much to complete this console."

I think the person you bought that console from probably came to the same conclusion. Just make sure that complete console you're considering has an intact hinge when comparing prices as most all of them being sold on social media sites are broken. That will add another approx. $100 (including tax & shipping) to purchase a replacement box/hinge assembly. Good luck.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:07 pm

73-75
Picked up a Console, need parts Consol10

76-77
Picked up a Console, need parts Consol12
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

76 Malibu likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the help.  I guess I will have to do some thinking on what I want to invest into this console. The guy who sold me this console bought it from a parts car for a '76 Monte Carlo.  He long sold the car and was clearing out his old parts stock.  Still at $40, I don't think it was a bad deal.

Are there any brackets used to mount this to the floor? If so, anyone got pics?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:31 pm

This video should help you with where the console brackets go. This is on my 75 Hurst/Olds Cutlass which is pretty much the same as what Chevy used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SE5x4WHwU&t=1s
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:17 pm

76 Malibu wrote:Thanks for all the help.  I guess I will have to do some thinking on what I want to invest into this console. The guy who sold me this console bought it from a parts car for a '76 Monte Carlo.  He long sold the car and was clearing out his old parts stock.  Still at $40, I don't think it was a bad deal.

Are there any brackets used to mount this to the floor?  If so, anyone got pics?

I circled the mounting points . ( 76 laguna s3 ).Picked up a Console, need parts Thumb111
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down