G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally! Proof that it exists!

+7
Limey SE
74Malibu383
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
BlackChevelleSS
Roadcaptain S3
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Finally! Proof that it exists! - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally! Proof that it exists!

Post by The Dude Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 am

Even though I don't care for Rally wheels, I love your stance! I think Salt Flats would definitely set your car off! So what's your current tire size & do you care to let us know more details about the springs?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Finally! Proof that it exists! - Page 2 Empty Re: Finally! Proof that it exists!

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:06 pm

my guess is 275/60 rear and 245/60 front?

Finally! Proof that it exists! - Page 2 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Kinda what I was thinking, but maybe 235/60 up front judging by the gap. Either way, that stance is awesome. I'd even be tempted to go one more inch lower in the front if nothing scrapes.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Black was right on the tire sizes... 245/60's on the front and 275/60 rears on 15x8 rallyes all the way around for now. A congratulatory handshake is in order for him! Laughing

As for the springs, they're whatever Global West's 1 inch lowering spring is. I picked them up since they were about $10 more than the factory style replacements...couldn't pass up on a deal like that! They ride surprsingly well. They're much shorter than factory springs, but they're a bit stiffer to make up for the size difference. They definitely firm up the ride without making the car uncomfortable to drive on Indiana's fine, un-crater-filled roads. Oh, wait, that's a lie...Indiana roads are terrible, and I'm amazed the car still rides very well for all the suspension work that's been done. Rago's right, this thing WOULD look great lowered another inch or so in the front, but this stance is as comfortable as I'll get with lowering it. I can barely get a jack under it how it is. It sits really, really low in person. Cool
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Looks great man. I'm sure the springs will settle a little over time anyway. I feel your pain with the jack issues. I can't get my floor jack under the crossmember without using another jack from the side.... Kind of a PITA, but worth the look!
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:03 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:Looks great man. I'm sure the springs will settle a little over time anyway. I feel your pain with the jack issues. I can't get my floor jack under the crossmember without using another jack from the side.... Kind of a PITA, but worth the look!

You mean you don't have a low profile racing jack? Neutral I'm actually surprised as cheap as they are.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:22 pm

I honestly don't even think it would fit. It's low man.... really low. Probably too low.

I took the transmission out last weekend and sent it back to BTO for a rebuild. It was doing some funny things and I was almost up on my warranty. Once I get it back in the car and put it on the ground, I'll take a measurement for you.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:10 pm

If I remember right Norther Tool sells some aluminum low prow racing jacks for around $200.00. They are pretty low, my brother had to get on for his mustang. Works pretty good so far. Just a suggestion.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:20 pm

I cant get a jack under the crossmember on my 70 SS or my cousins 73 SS
without a slight pull up on the front bumper.

Finally! Proof that it exists! - Page 2 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Malicruiser wrote:If I remember right Norther Tool sells some aluminum low prow racing jacks for around $200.00. They are pretty low, my brother had to get on for his mustang. Works pretty good so far. Just a suggestion.
Arn't those the ones that are on sale now? I heard they are not very good, but have never used one. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Dude...I love the stance. Not big on wide rims like that...but that looks sweet as hell!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:09 pm

These cars demand wide rims. Hell, I say go wider!
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Hate to admit it, but I'm a fan of the big N littles. Once I saw what they look like on our cars though, I knew I had to go wide. There's just too much fender not to go big all around. I'd still like to have a set of skinnies for the drag strip, but daily drivers need at least 8" all the way around & 10" out back would look even better.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:14 pm

you got a prob with skinnys out front LMAO

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:40 pm

You know on any other car I prefer them, but there's something about the way an 8" front wheel looks on a G3 Chevelle that I changed my mind.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:32 am

Rago wrote:Hate to admit it, but I'm a fan of the big N littles. Once I saw what they look like on our cars though, I knew I had to go wide. There's just too much fender not to go big all around. I'd still like to have a set of skinnies for the drag strip, but daily drivers need at least 8" all the way around & 10" out back would look even better.
What? Big N Littles like this Rago?! affraid Finally! Proof that it exists! - Page 2 74mali10
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:45 am

MMMmmm.......... & Draglites to boot! It's pretty hard to say no to that. Still look at the front fender gap. On a drag car it looks sweet, but for an every day driver, I'm on the fence. I'm slowly being convinced by the pro-touring & autoX crowds that wider might be better.

Man that car looks freakin beautiful. I miss my Draglites. Sad
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:43 am

Well Rago I miss my Draglites too. I use to have 8" wide Draglites on all fours of mine but since they were 14" I was having too hard of a time finding big enough tires to fill the fenders. That's when I bought my Bassit nascar rims then (thanks to a discount from a friend) put Goodyear Eagles on them. But if you had 8" wide draglites or even 7" on the front of a fully tubbed 3rd gen I think it would look Hella Mean. Cool
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:40 am

IndyG3 wrote:Finally! Proof that it exists! - Page 2 Chevel13

Wow ... VERY nice! Love that color.

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * 07/24/2010=ChitownMeet #3 *
MCs.Caprice | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Tell them we're survivors" ... Rascal Flatts ... 'Life Is A Highway'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am

Best thing about that car..... full black vinyl top! It definitely sets the car apart from other G3's.

I don't know about 8" draglites up front, those are straight drag racing wheels. I would go with 4" - 6" or maybe 7" & a skinny tire. Again, I would still need a different set to drive daily. Skinny tires not only look empty on these cars, but for a street car, they feel awkward. Draglites always look badass though. Very Happy
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 pm

That's the cool thing about it being my car- my opinon's the only one that matters. Razz

As soon as I get the drivetrain sorted out, I'll start looking for some Salt Flat style wheels. I saw them on a 77 Century in an issue of PHR and decided that that's the wheel style I want. I "think" I want some 17's up front and 18's in the back.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Thumbs up
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:24 am

IndyG3 wrote:That's the cool thing about it being my car- my opinon's the only one that matters. Razz

As soon as I get the drivetrain sorted out, I'll start looking for some Salt Flat style wheels. I saw them on a 77 Century in an issue of PHR and decided that that's the wheel style I want. I "think" I want some 17's up front and 18's in the back.
Don't you mean you saw it in an issue of Hot Rod. They had it in the Dare To Be Different section if I remember right.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 am

Rago wrote:Best thing about that car..... full black vinyl top! It definitely sets the car apart from other G3's.

I don't know about 8" draglites up front, those are straight drag racing wheels. I would go with 4" - 6" or maybe 7" & a skinny tire. Again, I would still need a different set to drive daily. Skinny tires not only look empty on these cars, but for a street car, they feel awkward. Draglites always look badass though. Very Happy
I just remember seeing the same set up on my uncles pro street 88 Chevy pickup. Ever since then I've always kinda liked wide draglites up front for a street car.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2