G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need opinon on whats going with my car

+5
The Dude
bigredlaguna
Limey SE
JB2wheeler
74Malibu383
9 posters

Go down

need opinon on whats going with my car Empty need opinon on whats going with my car

Post by 74442guy Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:43 pm

not all the time but some times my under hard acceleration the motor dies so im not sure if my stock fuel pump is starving my carb or im running to rich or idk if anyone has any info or if this has happened to please let me know so i can get this thing flawless with no engine stall when i run here this year and so i dont look like a fool lol talking about how fast and bad my car is then the dang engine stalling ha ha ha and look like a noob so any info would help thanks guys
74442guy
74442guy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

need opinon on whats going with my car Empty Re: need opinon on whats going with my car

Post by The Dude Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Is this a new problem or has it always existed? I'm assuming new problem so it's probably bad gas or a clogged fuel filter. I have been known to be wrong a time or two though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

need opinon on whats going with my car Empty Re: need opinon on whats going with my car

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:30 pm

What kind of carb? Holley? I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a power valve. Totally felt like an electrical problem to the point where I replaced the distributor, MSD box, and Coil. All things I was planning on replacing, but not at that particular moment in time.

In any case, if it is a Holley, replace the power valve. You can't tell if they're blown just by looking at them. It's usually about a $6.00 part, so at least you're not out much either way.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:55 pm

It might be the choke closing up on you. If so, its easy to check out. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Also check your accelerator pump linkage Look in the carb (car off) and make sure you see gass come from the booster as soon as you move the throttle bracket.
If its dying while you are in it and moving I would to a fuel starvation problem.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 74442guy Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:19 pm

thanks guys and yes its a holley lol
74442guy
74442guy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:25 pm

I was thinking a fuel starvation problem due to the bigger motor, my friend has a 70 chevelle and he runs a mechanical one for everyday street driving and when he wants to get on it hard he turns on the electric to aid the fuel starvation prob and yes his is a holley as well

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm

There's your problem. You're running a Holley carb, lol!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:29 am

What model # is it?
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 74442guy Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:51 am

its a custom built 4150 well custom built lil over a year ago 750
74442guy
74442guy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 pm

I'll suggest starting with the basics since it is an intermittent problem.

First, check the float level. A low float can cause starvation problems even with good pressure.

JB mentioned the choke may be closing, make sure it is open.

If the car still behaves the same after adjusting the float, then make sure the pressure is adequate for acceleration runs.

If it still has a problem, the next easiest thing to adjust is the pump squirter. Try one size larger. If this causes a stumble or you see black smoke because of this, then go back to the original size squirter.

If one of these checks doesn't fix it then let me know. Sounds like your carb is fairly close and this problem is going to be a matter of basic adjustments IMO.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:37 pm

Still haven't answered the question. Is it a new problem or pre-existing?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74442guy Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

new problem
74442guy
74442guy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:00 am

What kind of fuel filter do you use? I had a problem last year with one of those inline brass sintered ones disentigrating and getting in the bowl and needle and seat. Check the rubber line in the back that go from the metal hardline on the tank to the metal hardline on the body .Its a short piece of 3/8 rubber lien that gets split and may not drip just suck air.You have to get under there and squeeze it to see the split.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:42 pm

check the fuel filter before ripping your carb apart
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:23 am

Need more info on problem!!!!!!
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 74442guy Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:51 am

lot of people are saying to put a better fuel pump on it that the stock one is not going to cut with a performance motor
74442guy
74442guy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down