G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i need to remove the glass, any tips?

+8
Limey SE
JB2wheeler
BANNED USER
74Malibu383
BlackChevelleSS
Laguna Budman
McCauley5983
badbiscayne66
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

i need to remove the glass, any tips? Empty i need to remove the glass, any tips?

Post by BANNED USER Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:14 pm

should i try and remove them myself? i am really sketched out about it and i dont think i should try myself because the back 3 windows are hard to find
is there any tips they would help
the front windshield is cracked already so im going to have to replace anyways i was thinking about trying to remove that myself and see how it goes
please any comments questions or concerns would help for i am really needing to get the glass out to finish the restoration

BANNED USER
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

i need to remove the glass, any tips? Empty Re: i need to remove the glass, any tips?

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:28 pm

piano string and a pair of really thick gloves and paitence, soak the edges of glass with wd-40 for a day or so to soften the sealant up

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

i need to remove the glass, any tips? Empty Re: i need to remove the glass, any tips?

Post by Laguna Budman Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:41 pm

See if you can get ahold of a cold knife at a glass shop. Air cutter works great to if you have access. If not on ant of the above Limey is right piano string a buddy 2 pair of vice grips and patience. "priceless"
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Just pay somebody...........out quick no problems.......Guy came to my house and when i needed put em back!!!!!!!!
A few years apart Head Bang
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 pm

If your really bored u can use a utility knife and get it out also. But again you have to be really bored cause Ive done it.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:26 pm

some body wanted to charge me 200 bucks i did it for 30 that was for paint sand paper and sealer. 20 lbs test and a putty knife got the three back ones out for me .no leaks
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Side windows and a utility knife are a cakewalk on most. Back window a little tougher but can be done with persistence.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:53 pm

I had a star chip in the windshield of my 74 for about 30 years. It never did spread. I got tired of it and paid a company to replace it. They charged me over $400. After several weeks I noticed a crack about a foot long in it, you had to be standing at a certian angle to even see it. Called a differant company and paid $200 for the job. I have my fingers crossed! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by BANNED USER Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 pm

aight thx for the tips ill try to get the front windsheild out tomorrow and wish me luck
the side windows look easy to get out i just dont want to brake them black clips holding it on i already broke 2 so far haha

BANNED USER
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 pm

You broke the metal clips?
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:01 am

get the trim off, if its the original tape seal it could probably already be detached, ours was.....If somebody hadnt put 30 tubes of silicon on the windsheild it wouldve came out good but broke in the corners.

i need to remove the glass, any tips? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 am

My two cents.....
- Put full glass coverage on your insurance, it's not going to run you more than $30 a year.
- Call them out to replace your windsheild - Free
- When the guy comes out, offer some cash on the side to remove the rear - $20?
Those guys are super fast and they know what they are doing.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:22 am

Here in Kentucky the insurance companies are required to replace a broken windshield without a deductable. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 am

I believe it's the same in most states JB. I have ALWAYS carried full glass coverage on all of my vehicles. There's always so much construction in AZ, you're bound to lose a battle to a rock once a year. My record is two windsheilds in 1 week, same vehicle.... There's just nothing you can do when it's coming at you. With the price of windsheilds these days, I don't think you can afford NOT to have the coverage.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BANNED USER Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:42 am

yeah but heres the thing i dont have the car insured just my el camino because its my daily driver, and i went with state farm so.....yeah Sad

but in like 5 minutes im going to try and take the windsheild out myself

BANNED USER
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by BANNED USER Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:44 am

Laguna Budman wrote:You broke the metal clips?

no when you take off the sail panel there are like 3 or 4 black plastic clips holding the window up, they dont look like there doing anything but yeah

BANNED USER
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:07 pm

cromags76_ wrote:yeah but heres the thing i dont have the car insured just my el camino because its my daily driver, and i went with state farm so.....yeah Sad

Should be the same windsheild.... Just call them and tell them the Elky's is broke. Slip the guy a $20 to replace the Chevelle's. They're all independent contractors.... Bet it would work.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BANNED USER Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:43 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:
cromags76_ wrote:yeah but heres the thing i dont have the car insured just my el camino because its my daily driver, and i went with state farm so.....yeah Sad

Should be the same windsheild.... Just call them and tell them the Elky's is broke. Slip the guy a $20 to replace the Chevelle's. They're all independent contractors.... Bet it would work.

haha sounds like a plan but i already got the windsheild out lol it was already cracked before and so i just cracked it some more lol but i got it out and thats all that counts i have to do some rust repair so i wont be putting a new windsheild in it for a while silent

BANNED USER
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Did it have the radio antenna in the glass? Some did and some didn't. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:30 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:Did it have the radio antenna in the glass? Some did and some didn't. JB

yeah it did but when i took off the windsheild it ripped at the bottom, is that repairable?

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : -6

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:35 pm

nope it s not

at least I have never seen it repairable

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Limey wrote:nope it s not

at least I have never seen it repairable

well what if when i buy a new windsheild with the antenna in it should it give me the little plug that goes to the antenna?

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 pm

I dont know ?? If they can find one with an atenna it should have it but dont hold your breath

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by cromags76 BANNED Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:09 pm

yeah on elcaminostore.com its tinted with antenna for 279 but i got the plug i just hope i can connect them if it doesnt come with it i aint tryin to have a big old antenna anywhere on my car

cromags76 BANNED
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 pm

if you buy a NEW w-s it will come with the antenna wire and plug.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next