G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to remove the front clip?

+2
micara928
77mali
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

how to remove the front clip? Empty how to remove the front clip?

Post by 73 Guy Wed May 09, 2012 1:04 am

I'm working alone and was wondering if you guys could give me a removal process to take the front fenders and nose off. Can the fenders come off with the bumper still installed?

Thx

73 Guy
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

how to remove the front clip? Empty Re: how to remove the front clip?

Post by 77mali Wed May 09, 2012 7:22 am

Remove your headlight housings & bumper fillers under the light housings that attach to the fenders

Mine is a 77 & the grille & attached components can be removed as one piece, 73 might be different though, not sure.

Remove hood (protect your windshield)

Remove fenders & wheel wells either together or separately (you'll have to detach the battery tray, overflow tank...etc...)

I think that's about it.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by micara928 Wed May 09, 2012 12:27 pm

shouldn't we warn him if he is working alone and it is a laguna nose, the nose alone weighs a ton!!
micara928
micara928
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Fenders are easy 5 minute job that can be done with the bumper on. Instructions per side after you remove the hood: One bolt on top by firewall, open door - one bolt near hinge, a couple more bolts up front attached to core support (take headlight buckets off with fender). All 73-77 fenders unbolt the same.

Front Laguna nose is heavy, but since you asked if it could be done with the bumper still on I am assuming you have either a Malibu or Chevelle Deluxe. Pop off the fenders & take out the radiator. Core support should only have two bolts remaining. Bumper is only attached to frame & nothing else.

If you wanted, you could have a buddy help & be able to remove the entire front clip as a unit. I have done it before & it is a little quicker but heavy. Just unbolt the rear fender bolts (top & bottom), & unbolt the core support. After everything is unplugged, it will come out as one piece. 6 bolts & 10-15 minutes including disconnecting all wiring/lines.

SOAK EVERY BOLT IN PBLASTER a day or two before attempting this job. Will make things go much easier.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 Guy Wed May 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Wow thanks for the help I wasn't expecting that much info. Yea my car is. 73 Malibu. I'm just trying to clean up the firewall and engine bay so this info is excellent.

73 Guy
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed May 09, 2012 6:06 pm

ive taken my whole front off in one piece. 12 bolts after the hood.
how to remove the front clip? 4-07_n10
how to remove the front clip? Tarp_m10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Wed May 09, 2012 7:06 pm

If you're just doing clean up. I would go with the one piece method. Its a lot less involved. If you prepped it alone, and could find someone to just help you with the pull off, you'll save time all around. Either way remember to watch for spacers between the fenders,and mark were they came from. Once you get going, The car will basically show you itself how it comes apart. Good luck
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down