G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A reminder

+2
JB2wheeler
77malibu77
6 posters

Go down

A reminder Empty A reminder

Post by JB2wheeler Sun May 09, 2010 11:02 pm

Just thought I would put a bug in you'lls head. Our cars have huge hoods and huge doors. Both items need lubrication more than once evry 50 years. Dont ask me how I know. Alright, I will tell you. Last winter we had a bad, but short, cold spell. I wanted to crank my cars to get their blood flowing and the batteries were low. I opened my hoods on my 73 LTD and my 74 Elky and when I got them, both, about half way up they froze up on me. Not from the cold, but from lack of lube. I forced them both up and bent the hinges on both cars. Now the back corner sticks up an inch or so above the level of the fender. Yeh, dumb move, but I was cold! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

A reminder Empty Re: A reminder

Post by Limey SE Sun May 09, 2010 11:13 pm

well I can help you with the elky hinges JB if you want let me know

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun May 09, 2010 11:42 pm

I will look tomorrow and see if the Elky left hand hinge can be straightened. I know the LTD one can, I checked it today. It just happened to one side on each car. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun May 09, 2010 11:44 pm

LET ME KNOW MY FRIEND MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP YA

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun May 09, 2010 11:45 pm

10-4. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks for pointing that out for some of the young pups. This should be something that's done on all older cars. On the plus side, we don't have the shitty hoods that 70-72 Chevelles had. One good push on a stuck hinge & the hood folds in half.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon May 10, 2010 11:33 am

how come the doors on a malibu are lighter than on a el camino
and the front bumper almost seems lighter
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon May 10, 2010 11:43 am

They shouldn't be. They are all the exact same parts. Even Pontiac, Monte Carlo, Oldsmobile, & Buick doors will swap with one another (different body lines though). I think Limey had a relative with a "Pontiacamino" or something like that.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon May 10, 2010 11:51 am

hmm
idk because the camino weighs 4200 and the malibu weighs 3750 total
and when i changed the doors out i swear they were lighter and none of them had the windows in
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon May 10, 2010 1:05 pm

The only differance between the doors is the window glass, which is shaped differant to conform with the roofline. Everything forward from there is the same, except El caminos have twice as much horswepower from the factory. GOTCHA. JB BTW, I checked the Elky hinge and can not find anything bent, it just might need adjusting. I got strep throat and checked it fast so I could get back in here, its time for my NAP.
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon May 10, 2010 1:32 pm

First off, these are all good questions that you have come up with. I might have another answer, but again, they are the same pieces.

It's possible that they felt heavier because for some reason or another, G3s had bad quality control over consistency. I used to have a 76 Chevelle that weighed in at 3,5xx lbs (not stripped either, forget the exact weight) & at the same time, there are some out there that weigh 3,900 lbs similarly equipped. Bryan's car (74Malibu383, PHR feature a couple of months back) weighs 4,2xx lbs! Some say that the metal got thinner as the years went on, I call BS. My current 76 has thicker metal on the front bumper than my 73 does. Quality control is the only explanation I can come up with.

OTOH, El Caminos in general shouldn't weigh more than the wagons. Wagons were rated around 4,100 lbs & built on the same 116 inch wheelbase as four doors & El Caminos. Chevelles got the shorter 112 inch chassis. I would assume an El Camino body weighs a few hundred pounds less than a wagon body.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon May 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Everybody knows that a pickup truck is light on the back end and they have to have a lighter brake bias on the rear. An Elky is not quite as light as a regular pickup on the back, but it has a lower center of gravity than either a station wagon or a regular pickup. The 4 inch longer wheelbase and boxed frame will add a few pounds over the colonade coupe. A lowered Elky with the right suspention will corner like a rabbit. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon May 10, 2010 4:13 pm

77malibu77 wrote:hmm
idk because the camino weighs 4200 and the malibu weighs 3750 total
and when i changed the doors out i swear they were lighter and none of them had the windows in

malibu from factory specs I have weighs in at 3950 with no driver ?? HMMMM where did you get your info at ?? I am just curious is all

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon May 10, 2010 8:37 pm

You don't have a bunch of mud around there, do you? It's possible to have a couple hundred pounds in just the front crossmember. A buddy of mine cleaned up an old 74 Cuda while he was rebuilding the engine and that is how much dirt he weighed just from scraping a thin layer off.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon May 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Note to self: clean off mud BEFORE drag racing.

That's a lot of mud in just the front crossmember! Maybe he should have been running 33's like the racing Monte Carlo ad from last week, lol!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon May 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Rago wrote:Note to self: clean off mud BEFORE drag racing.

That's a lot of mud in just the front crossmember! Maybe he should have been running 33's like the racing Monte Carlo ad from last week, lol!

A reminder 3n73k410
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon May 10, 2010 8:48 pm

It was more like years of build-up, not just a mud road bash where you knew it had to get washed. Funny thing is, looking at it before the teardown you would not have thought there was ANY dirt in there. It was mostly in the crevices and hard to see places.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum