G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guess How Many A-bodies GM Built Between 1973 and 1977?

5 posters

Go down

Guess How Many A-bodies GM Built Between 1973 and 1977? Empty Guess How Many A-bodies GM Built Between 1973 and 1977?

Post by Johnny Hunkins Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:42 am

I spent a half hour yesterday researching and collating production figures using the Encyclopedia Of American Cars, and guess how many A-bodies GM produced between 1973 and 1977? If you only count Chevelles, Malibus, Monte Carlos, LeMans, Cutlasses, Centurys, and Regals (there may be some others I was unsure of, like Grand Prixs--the long-wheelbase A-bodies which I can't tell from B-bodies--and some division's wagons, plus I didn't count Elkos or Caballeros), the total is around 7,430,000. The Olds total alone was over 2 million. Talk about crash and burn. They had the world at their feet at one time. In one year alone--1977--Olds built 632,400 Cutlasses.

These numbers are staggering. No wonder you still see them around in quantity. My question is this: Why did the aftermarket go from producing parts for '64 - '72 A-bodies, and go directly into '78 - 88 G-bodies? Since I know many of these industry guys personally, I can say they aren't stupid at all. Nevertheless, even I didn't fathom the sheer number of cars produced, so my guess is that the ignorance of the facts is more at fault.

Moreover, it appears that many of the parts on the '73 - '77 GM A-body are common with trucks and other platforms.

Johnny Hunkins
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Guess How Many A-bodies GM Built Between 1973 and 1977? Empty Re: Guess How Many A-bodies GM Built Between 1973 and 1977?

Post by Oidar Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:08 pm

I have two classic car shops in Oklahoma City, and they both shake their heads and say the same thing. "There's just nobody makin' anything for those.... Yet" They get lots of inquiries though. Both the guys I talked to seem to think our time is coming. We'll see, but for now... Sad
Oidar
Oidar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Guess How Many A-bodies GM Built Between 1973 and 1977? Empty Re: Guess How Many A-bodies GM Built Between 1973 and 1977?

Post by yogreasygramma Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:42 am

Yes, they did produce a ton of them. No, I can't figure out why nobody produces parts for them, or why there are practically no NOS parts available.

Did you find in your research any production numbers for Y-code (454) Chevies produced, or specifically, Y-code Montes? I'd really like to know that for each year. And how many Montes, Chevies, and GM cars produced each year with the electric skyroof. And how many Y-code Montes produced with the skyroof in each year. Thanks!
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Hunkins Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:11 pm

The Encyclopedia of American cars does not break down Montes by option code, only by Sport Coupe, S Sport Coupe, and Landau Sport Coupe. The book is already 4-inches thick, and breaking it down by option code would make it completely unwieldy.

Johnny Hunkins
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:39 pm

I dont believe you can break down these years by options. I remember reading it wasnt documented . I know it cant be broken down by engine options just maybe models. Johnny, I cant agree more about Olds it really pisses me off that they are no longer around. What jackass made product decisions for them? It makes me nuts when I read stuff like the sheer amount of Cutlass' they sold not to mention all their other great cars.
I was told by this retired salesman that sold Olds that in 1983-85 they sold every single Cutlass they could get no matter the options they got new car money for 2 year old cars (Cutlass') .
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:51 pm

the government doesnt want them on the road because they know they cant build a car fast enough to keep up or out perform them Very Happy i have never driven a car so nice the handling and ride are phenominal and i get decent fuel mileage for the hefty holley, (edelbrock carbs suck), i got hiding under the hood
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down