G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

700r4

+3
Malicruiser
IndyG3
BlackChevelleSS
7 posters

Go down

700r4 Empty 700r4

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:16 pm

finally picking up a 700r4 core this weekend...looking for rebuild kits...my strategy for transmissions and rearends if build them as strong as possible so you dont have to worry about breaking them...anyone know of any good kits? or kits they have used and are happy with?

looking at this one right here so far

http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/203_204_206_338/products_id/571

i also want to add i dont know much about transmissions, and this is going to be a learning experience for me.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

700r4 Empty Re: 700r4

Post by pila Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:33 pm

The early 700 had durability problems, so here's hoping you get a later one, like '87-up. There is a break-in procedure for the band in there, from what I'm told, and if the old band is in good shape, you may want to use it. I'm just passing on what a trans guy told me. If you do the re-build yourself, get a video on the re-build, as well as a manual. The Monster trans kit looks like a good one, with heavy duty parts etc.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:45 pm

700s are very picky and kind of difficult to rebuild, as compared to 400s and 350s. I recommend getting a tool to install and remove the pump, as if you install or remove it wrong, might as well just buy another trans. Also there is a piston in the very bottom of the case that needs to be removed and new seals installed, I recommended finding the tool to remove and install it, as its easy to bend and then you have to buy another.
Im not sure about rebuilding it as for strength, I just did a stock rebuild on a few of them and did a few mods as stated in the rebuild manual.

Now a turbo 400, I can pretty much tell everything that needs to be modded in it for strength.

700r4 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:38 pm

pila wrote:The early 700 had durability problems, so here's hoping you get a later one, like '87-up. There is a break-in procedure for the band in there, from what I'm told, and if the old band is in good shape, you may want to use it. I'm just passing on what a trans guy told me. If you do the re-build yourself, get a video on the re-build, as well as a manual. The Monster trans kit looks like a good one, with heavy duty parts etc.

my mistake, i probably should have mentioned that i did know that 87- are better, the core im getting is out of a 93 z28, i also bought a manual on the rebuild from "performance how-to" my girlfriends dad has all the special tools you need for the build.

i appreciate the advice on the band, and do you like any of the other kits out there or know of any that you like?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:700s are very picky and kind of difficult to rebuild, as compared to 400s and 350s. I recommend getting a tool to install and remove the pump, as if you install or remove it wrong, might as well just buy another trans. Also there is a piston in the very bottom of the case that needs to be removed and new seals installed, I recommended finding the tool to remove and install it, as its easy to bend and then you have to buy another.
Im not sure about rebuilding it as for strength, I just did a stock rebuild on a few of them and did a few mods as stated in the rebuild manual.

Now a turbo 400, I can pretty much tell everything that needs to be modded in it for strength.

good stuff, thanks for the info...my girlfriends dad has any special tools that we'll be needing for the job, as far as the rebuilds, the parts between stock and performance should be the same right? except for stronger? i guess what im asking is, is there anything im going to be putting in here as far as "extra" parts?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:56 pm

im guessing the basket is pretty much a replacement part, although Ive never replaced it.

700r4 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:im guessing the basket is pretty much a replacement part, although Ive never replaced it.

what does it do?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Its the input shaft and drum

700r4 129_0706_02_z+june_2007_4x4_products+input_shaft

700r4 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Make sure you definitely get an upgraded sun shell, at the very least. It gives you 2nd gear, and the factory didn't use very strong strong sun shells. From what I've seen and heard, the Monster rebuild kit gives you just about everything you need for a good rebuild.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:10 pm

I see that "Monster" has three stages of rebuilt 700R4's, like 1,2, & 3. You might call them and ask what comparable stage you will have with the kit you listed in the link. How much power are you gonna have on that trans ? I see level 2 is 500 HP, and not likely you would need any more beef than that, but knowing how the kit matches up to their re-builds would be good to know.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:03 pm

pila wrote:I see that "Monster" has three stages of rebuilt 700R4's, like 1,2, & 3. You might call them and ask what comparable stage you will have with the kit you listed in the link. How much power are you gonna have on that trans ? I see level 2 is 500 HP, and not likely you would need any more beef than that, but knowing how the kit matches up to their re-builds would be good to know.

yeah that might not be bad at all..obviously going to run a trans cooler as well, so that will help
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:39 am

A cooler is always a good idea, since heat is the enemy of auto transmissions, and if using a higher stall converter, there may be a bit more heat.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:51 am

IndyG3 wrote:Make sure you definitely get an upgraded sun shell, at the very least. It gives you 2nd gear, and the factory didn't use very strong strong sun shells. From what I've seen and heard, the Monster rebuild kit gives you just about everything you need for a good rebuild.
Monster Transmission is who we go to for performance rebuild and replacement parts, as far as 700r4's go they are top of the game IMO.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

pila wrote:A cooler is always a good idea, since heat is the enemy of auto transmissions, and if using a higher stall converter, there may be a bit more heat.

definitely will also need a stall converter, when i did the top end i ran way too big of a cam for the stock converter and the thing idles at like 100 rpm in gear
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:21 pm

You got it to idle at 100 rpm? Suspect

How bad does it surge when in gear? That's the real question.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Rago wrote:You got it to idle at 100 rpm? Suspect

How bad does it surge when in gear? That's the real question.

scratch that, I forgot the tach is measured in fifths, so it idles at 200 rpm...but still pretty low. it doesnt surge too bad, ive definitely heard worse, im really excited to see how much performance picks up once i get the 700r4 in there with the stall converter and the better first gear and then the rearend with the 3.73's and the posi, because this motor is a torque monster, you can tell the stock converter really holds it back though.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:32 am

Kinda strange how some of these engine will idle slow. The 408 SB in my Malibu has a Comp 280 M cam in it with Rhoads lifters, and if I back out the idle speed screw, it will sit at 350 RPM in neutral. With the slowest lope I ever heard! Weird! I suppose the leak-down in those lifters kill-off the lift and duration enough to make a tractor engine envious! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:49 am

pila wrote:Kinda strange how some of these engine will idle slow. The 408 SB in my Malibu has a Comp 280 M cam in it with Rhoads lifters, and if I back out the idle speed screw, it will sit at 350 RPM in neutral. With the slowest lope I ever heard! Weird! I suppose the leak-down in those lifters kill-off the lift and duration enough to make a tractor engine envious! Very Happy

haha yeah its a little weird...thing always sounds like its gonna die on me, but never does, i have the opposite effect, in park and neutral the thing revs up to 1000 but in drive or reverse it will sit around 200
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:34 am

My dad dose Trans. if you need it. With 700 you will also need the reprogam kit for it and a tv cable will need to be right on or it will burn up.
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:17 pm

thanks 74 chick, saving up for the rest of the stuff still, ill be sure to add it to the list
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down