G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any changes to your "automotive family" soon?

+8
knightfan26917
SeeTen
orange Juiced
pila
Roadcaptain S3
Limey SE
IndyG3
FormulaZR
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Any changes to your "automotive family" soon? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any changes to your "automotive family" soon?

Post by JB2wheeler Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 am

I'm just gonna HAVE to move to Arizona so I can get my hands on some of those really nice cars. Around here, if you look at an older car and it has enough rust free metal in it to keep the body on the frame you consider it a good deal. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Any changes to your "automotive family" soon? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any changes to your "automotive family" soon?

Post by The Dude Thu May 12, 2011 9:39 am

The wing is either a modified T/A - Z/28 wing or it's a 77 Chevelle SE wing.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu May 12, 2011 9:45 am

Wouldn't it be a bitch...if it's an original 77 SE that someone made it into ^that^ not knowing what it truly was?

Evil or Very Mad

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 am

Exactly what I was thinking. An SE should have a front chin spoiler also, but without paperwork it's just another Malibu Classic.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBottle Thu May 12, 2011 10:58 am

Rago wrote:The wing is either a modified T/A - Z/28 wing or it's a 77 Chevelle SE wing.

The guy selling it was going on, and on about the rear wing. Saying how rare it was.

This is the quote from his add:
1977 MALIBU CLASSIC SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION 350 very rare only 50 made w/ rear spoiler for Daytona 500

I couldn't find any information on any Daytona 500 edition, or anything like that. It resembles the Z/28 wing in style, but it fits perfectly to the sides of the car, and trunk contour, and shows no signs of modifications. The paint on the car is very dry and typical of AZ, any cutting or modification of a plastic wing would show by now. (It has a molded on cowl induction scoop, that has shrunk down and looks terrible) My thought was possibly some older aftermarket form the 70's 80 Question
OnTheBottle
OnTheBottle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu May 12, 2011 11:16 am

http://g3gm.forumotion.com/t1587-1977-se-in-wichitakansas

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu May 12, 2011 11:22 am

OTB, if that car is indeed what the previous owner says it is, then you really do have a rare car. Too bad you don't have the paperwork for proof. Here's some threads to keep you busy for a minute. We are still researching this rare car since not a lot of info is out there for them.

https://www.g3gm.com/t1587-1977-se-in-wichitakansas
https://www.g3gm.com/t2049-chevelle-se-website?highlight=chevelle
https://www.g3gm.com/t758-1977-chevelle-se?highlight=chevelle

There are more threads, but I couldn't seem to find them. This is a decent start though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu May 12, 2011 11:23 am

The Chevelle SE Website is down.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBottle Thu May 12, 2011 11:42 am

The wing looks exactly like the one pictured in that thread. The interior is like the red interior of the silver one. Swivel Buckets and all.

Any changes to your "automotive family" soon? - Page 2 3n93m710

Would any information found in the build sheet tell me if it was an SE or not? (would give me an excuse to take the seats or tank out too look for it...lol)

Damn I had a set of turbine wheels the followed me for several cars, because no one would buy the beaters I kept swapping them onto for any real money. I think I finally got rid of them with my old cutlass.
Any changes to your "automotive family" soon? - Page 2 L_e1b710

OnTheBottle
OnTheBottle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu May 12, 2011 11:43 am

OnTheBottle wrote:Would any information found in the build sheet tell me if it was an SE or not

No. The SE was a dealer thing.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu May 12, 2011 11:48 am

Unfortunately, there is no proof of it being an SE to my knowledge unless you have the SE paperwork, which we now know that they had. I'm hoping to one day contact the company that did these conversions & get all of the info. This is proving to be a very tough task. Contacting the people behind this car could be a big breakthrough as they may still have all of the VIN #'s of the conversion cars.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBottle Thu May 12, 2011 4:55 pm

What was the name of the company that did the conversions? Was it only through one dealership in KS? What was the name of that dealership?
OnTheBottle
OnTheBottle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri May 13, 2011 10:04 am

The SE was created by a company in Wichita, Kansas called Special Editions, Inc.

Most say that there were only 50 produced. If that's the case, then we have pictures on here of nearly half of them. A guy that's local to me has the nicest example I have seen & he swears 1,500 is the correct number. I'm going to assume 50 is correct though since that is the number that sticks with most people. Go back & read all of those threads I posted as they have most of the answers to your questions about these cars.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBottle Fri May 13, 2011 3:07 pm

To bad the Chevelle SE web site is gone.

I haven't been able to find any pics of the front air dam anywhere. The pics of the black one and silver one on here are both missing it. I mentioned it to my friend that went with me to get the car. And he said when we were loading the car onto the tow truck to take home, he noticed bolt holes where what looked like a front spoiler would go.
OnTheBottle
OnTheBottle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2