G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

even more snow.......

+5
Mcarlo77
IndyG3
Biomedtech
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

even more snow....... Empty even more snow.......

Post by pila Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Just as I was getting motivated with the slightly warmer weather, to get going on my Elco project, we get more snow. I did get the power steering hoses on, which was an issue of bending the steel parts of the lines to get them to fit. And I have the stainless exhaust pipes built and installed. They are built with sections of mandrel bent tubes and straight tubing, from Summit. A friend TIG welded the sections together, and did a fine job. So they are coming back to just behind the cross member, ready for mufflers.

Maybe I'll get at it again when the snow melts again........

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

even more snow....... Empty Re: even more snow.......

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:38 pm

I hear ya! We finally saw bare ground for the first time in four months and I was getting all ready to peel back the car cover and start getting some work done. Wake up this morning to several inches of snow and forecast of below freezing temps for the next 5-7 days. In other words, this isn't going away in the next day or two...sigh......
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Looks like we will have to work twice as hard when spring actually comes! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 pm

We have been darn lucky this winter. We only had one bad episode here (inside city limits). That was an ice storm with snow on top and then more ice. Everybody all around us got it bad, even just 50 miles away in any direction. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:40 pm

You got that right, Pila! One thing is for sure...those of us living in the snow belt sure know how to work/play hard once warm weather arrives!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 pm

I kind of like not being able to drive my cars for half of the year. Keeps the miles off. Both of my cars have original mileage, and I hate racking it up.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 pm

So very true...I've only put 7,000 miles on my Monte in the 15 yrs I've owned it. Not to mention, it feels like I'm driving it for the first time all over again after it has sat under a cover for five months!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 pm

I've put 10k on mine in about 4 years. But, for a while, it was my only car. But, I still never drove it in wet weather. I have forgotten how many miles last summer. I think about 2k...

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 pm

I know you can appreciate this...it's such a novelty to own a car that is only driven in the summer months and not having to watch it rust away little by little every year like our daily drivers.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Nail on the head my friend.

I have a '98 Monte Carlo for a DD. 95-99 Montes & Lumina's are HIGHLY notorious to rust out under the gas door. Eventually, every single one will. When I got it in May '09, it was perfect(in that area), and not one sign of rust. Now, after two winters, it is starting to bubble up and get me pissed off. I don't want to drive a rust bucket.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Yep...I don't mind dumping money into a car for mechanical repairs as long as it still looks good on the outside. But, as soon as the rust takes hold and it starts looking like a beater, I lose interest in keeping it up.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 pm

If anything, that will make me pay more attention to keeping it clean...maybe it will divert attention from the rust! Lol.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 am

I bought my Malibu in 1990. with 1002500 miles on it (rolled over past 100k) It now has 33,000 on it, so it's not many miles per year. It got drove more before restoration than it does now, but I wanna drive it more this year. It's a Georgia rust-free body and I would like to keep it clean ( for posterity ?) Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:51 am

cmon guys, cars are made to be driven, dont be afraid of putting miles on them. unless you plan on selling them in the future, but i doubt that this is the case.

its like having a super hot girlfriend and being afraid to f*** her too often.

i see it as a good thing if i put a lot of miles on my car.it means that i had much fun. i dont drive it when the roads are salty, but thats it.

ON TOPIC: to bad you are snowed in again, i was just abaut to mail you for some parts. let us know when it melts!

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 am

I don't like racking up high miles on original un restored cars with heavily documented original miles like both of mine are. If they were not original, and not original miles, I would not care. I don't NOT drive them. I drive them several times a week. Just not far.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:10 am

My frame of mind, exactly. Mine is all original and documented as well. I do get the look of "Really?" from the wifey sometimes when I talk about preserving it and not wanting to put a lot of miles on it. She thinks it's ridiculous to have it sitting in the garage most of the time and not being used more often. As I said before, when you grow up in this part of the country where you've watched all your cars slowly corrode to death, it's just a state of mind to want to preserve something. But, I get your point as well, Andrej...especially about the girfriend! Just kidding! Laughing
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:29 am

What is this "rust" that you guys speak of? Razz

Sorry to hear about the snow, it's already been a rough winter. This is why I'm glad I live farther South. We already got ticks coming out & kids running through sprinklers.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Rago wrote:What is this "rust" that you guys speak of? Razz

Maybe I'll send you a box of some , so can see some first hand! We call it Michigan cancer around here. Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:06 pm

pila wrote:
Rago wrote:What is this "rust" that you guys speak of? Razz

Maybe I'll send you a box of some , so can see some first hand! We call it Michigan cancer around here. Very Happy

It's the bane of any car guy's existence!
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Kids running through sprinklers already, eh? I thought it was a major breakthrough on my part to finally get a chance to drag out the garden hose last Sat. to wash off the rust causing, salt-ladened truck in 45 degree temps. It rained the next day...of course.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:52 pm

It got warm in Indy for about 3 days, then it decided to get back into snow territory Mad Looks like the tan I got is gonna look weird for a few more weeks...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:24 am

Head Bang Spoke too soon. Weather just dropped back into the 40's. Might be dipping into the 30 degree weather tomorrow which sucks since Muddy Gras is happening this weekend at D Day Adventure Park. over 200 acres of trails, some rockcrawling, mud bogging, log jamming, & hill climb competitions going on as well. Sorry, it's the wheeling side of me coming out & we were planning on going topless in the Bronco.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 am

Please...do the general public a favor and keep your shirts on in the Bronco! affraid
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:39 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Please...do the general public a favor and keep your shirts on in the Bronco! affraid

YIKES please keep your shirt on we do not need Rago man boobies all over the place

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 am

LMAO! But I need to air out the fat rolls.....
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next