G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

will the resdent big block expert get ahold of me

5 posters

Go down

will the resdent big block expert get ahold of me Empty will the resdent big block expert get ahold of me

Post by cp15613 Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:58 pm

putting together a 454 out of a 98 suburban to go into a 75 monte, want to keep it fairly low buck but want a real beast when done......any ideas on what cylinder heads, intake, carb and cam will be best......will have headers and sidepipes when done.....running 3.42 gears and a stick......thanks for ny help you can throw my way!

cp15613
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

will the resdent big block expert get ahold of me Empty Re: will the resdent big block expert get ahold of me

Post by Sinister Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Everything needs to be matched for best performance.
Super Chevy just had a head shootout in the last two issues.
AFR heads if money is no object.
Compression ratio will indicate how big you can go cam wise.
Holley for the intake and carb duties.
Sinister
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

will the resdent big block expert get ahold of me Empty Re: will the resdent big block expert get ahold of me

Post by Admin Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:30 pm

98 suburban will be vortec headed full injected, Also is the gen 5 motor so its roller, sure you want to use this motor? I would suggest finding a running 78ish 454 engine out of a truck. pull the thing down hone the cylinders, new iron rings, new bearings with a polished crank, find some closed chamber heads to bump up compression with 2.19 1.88 stainless one piece under cut valves, then find a 110 lobe seperation cam thats around 550 lift something about like this
http://www.competitionproducts.com/Elgin-Hydraulic-Flat-Tappet-Complete-Cam-Kit-Chev-BB/productinfo/E929K/

If your content on keeping the vortec 454 find a roller zz502 hot cam with some major work done to the heads, or install a set of 781 or 049 open chamber heads with 2.19 1.88 valves

Admin
Management
Management

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:12 am

There are many great crate motors out there for really reasonable prices. Its hard to build one yourself without using used parts and beat the price of the crate motors. I saw a fairly complete 572 engine for under $5,000 at the pickup point. It was in a crate engine shootout in one of the latest magazines, forget which one. The security guard at Walmart would not let me read the whole thing. I like Edelbrock stuff, but they are a little on the high side. They offer complete engine packages that are engineered to make sure all the parts work great together. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 2fat2fly Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:35 am

cp15613 wrote:putting together a 454 out of a 98 suburban to go into a 75 monte, want to keep it fairly low buck but want a real beast when done......any ideas on what cylinder heads, intake, carb and cam will be best......will have headers and sidepipes when done.....running 3.42 gears and a stick......thanks for ny help you can throw my way!
you have the cubes you just need to stay with a torque motor and stay away from the rpm thing. the more duration you run the higher the rpm ratio goes. stay in the 260 ish to 272 duration area and you should be able to make some good torque with out having to rev. a bunch. with a heavy car I think that's where it's at, although you can get away with a bit more with a stick. keep the rear gears to 3.20's up to 3.73's. the 049's are a good choice and some port matching wouldn't hurt.
Carbs. always match the cubes and rpm that you want to run and that will give you an ideal of the cfm needed
2fat2fly
2fat2fly
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down