G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frames back from the sandblaster

5 posters

Go down

Frames back from the sandblaster Empty Frames back from the sandblaster

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Just picked up the frame from the sandblaster. Cant paint it tonight so I have it in my garage (currently 62% humidity) with my dehumidifier running full blast. Guy did an awesome job. Actually, I've never seen such a thorough job. I cant find a nook or cranny that didnt get blasted. Even inside the over the axle tubes and front horns. Real professional, huge shop. He does lots of refurbs of county vehicles. He blasts all trailers inside and out, then the frames and cabs. Then reassembles and it goes out for new drivelines. I paid $300 for the job and cant be happier. Address for the company is

Riverview Industries
3012 Albany Post Road Cold Spring, NY 10516
(845) 265-5284

After much thought, I purchased Summit racing black epoxy primer and summit racing semi-gloss epoxy black for the job. Even though you can put the black epoxy directly on the frame, I opted for the primer for a smoother finish. I blew off the frame and immediately sprayed some Eastwood Internal Frame coating in the four enclosed parts of the frame. I used 2 complete cans of the stuff. That long hose and fogging nozzle they give you is great and works well.

I know this thread is nothing without pics, so here you go. More pics will follow.

Frames back from the sandblaster 34g54j8

Frames back from the sandblaster Swbcis

Frames back from the sandblaster 10dfc69

Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Frames back from the sandblaster Empty Re: Frames back from the sandblaster

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Looks great &

looks like you hate rust as much as me...LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Joe does the guy do soda blasting too? Not to be nosey but why are you doing this? Is yours bent?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Ant, they guy doesnt do soda blasting but I heard that behind Sams Ceramic on Rt. 6 in Mahopac is Buckshollow rd. Behind sams, on that road is a small industrial park. I heard there's a soda blaster guy in there.
As for the frame, I've wanted to make a bunch of changes to the car for years. My current frame has been dipped in galvanized steel. When I did that it was a rush to put it in the car. I drove the car to my friends yard and did a full frame swap in only 7 hours complete. And that was with ALL HAND TOOLS, no air. And I drove it home. So I never got the chance to clean up the floor areas above the frame, I reused the body mounts and bolts, etc. The galvanize also gets some whiteish oxidation in some spots which its supposed to do. So I figure I can take it out, wash it with phosphoric acid to etch it and then paint it. But then I came upon another 73 back in January and I have a buddy with a GMC Sprint who needed parts. So I bought it (now my 8th 73) and we parted it out. Now I can take my time and get the frame just like I want it and then swap it over. Which then makes me want to install my 292 cam and victor manifold, so the motor will be coming apart as well. I have no real mileage on the entire driveline since I rebuilt it back in the mid 80's. I have the time and the space, so might as well play with it. I will be selling the 2 1/4" exhaust with stainless mufflers to make room for a 2 1/2" with 2 chamber mufflers. I guess just too much spare time on my hands.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:49 pm

I know the place. Where the wire shop is. I have to go over there I think this weekend with a friend to drop off his GMC pick up. I will look around.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Great job on the frame Joe. Very Happy Did the same on my Elco project. These frames will outlast all of us, now that they are blasted & re-finished.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 am

Joe-

Can you post a pic of the hose & fog nozzle? Think I'd like to make one. Thanks!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 am

No problem, here you go. Hose is very thin, looks like about 1/8". Same diameter as the tip/nozzle. Hose is about 24" long. Tip might be hard to make. Let me know how you make out.

Frames back from the sandblaster Ie1kih

Frames back from the sandblaster Aonk2h

Frames back from the sandblaster 1juskl
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks!

Think I'll try & make something out of 1/8" or 3/16" metal tube. I thought It would be a metal wand of somekind- the spray can top must be proprietary- never seen one like it on the shelf. I'll have to adapt it somehow to the spray gun- just thinking about how to get way down into the hollow's of the frame.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:08 pm

I would run over to a hobby shop that deals in remote control gas cars. I'd grab some 1/8" id fuel line and an 1/8" hose barb with threads on the other side. Grab a normal spray can cap, drill it out and thread in the barb. Then add the hose. Also take a look around in the hobby shop for something to make the tip that also has the barb on it. Slide it into the hose and drill out the tip with 3 or 4 tiny holes.

Frame is primed and painted. Pics to follow.

Mali, check you pm's.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:29 pm

Just- Pm'd you back Bud...LOL

Going the spray route with compressor & customized wand. Thanks for the pics earlier- that 360 degree spray tip is cool. It's totally the way to go to even have a shot at an even coating in there.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 am

Ok, frames painted and I like it!! 2 coats epoxy flat black primer, 2 coats epoxy semi-gloss black. Both products from summit racing and flowed nicely. From what I've found on the net, I believe they are Eastwood products and it had UV protection. I called to verify. In the final coat of color I put in 1 oz. of reducer to 19 oz. of material. Instructions say it makes it smoother. Just a tip. I picked up (2) 10 foot long, 1/2" pieces of rebar from Home Depot. I slide one through the holes that look like tow tabs on the front of the frame. Then put a barrel under the center. On the rear I just slid the rebar in through the rear most bumper mounting bolts on the sides. Then work horses on each side. Remember, 73 rear bumpers mount to the sides of the frame unlike 74-77. Suspended the frame nicely to get underneath for spraying. Here's the pics.

Frames back from the sandblaster Dtngg

Frames back from the sandblaster 1okm14

Frames back from the sandblaster 2d1s0fk
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm

The frame looks really nice Joe Very Happy
When I did my El Camino frame, I painted the inside with Rustoleum rusty metal primer, then black paint. I used my Binks engine cleaning gun which has an adjustable nozzle, to adjust the amount of paint it puts out. The gun is actually made for spraying solvent etc. I also painted the insides of the quarter panels etc. I figured that every little bit helps keep the rust at bay......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Wow Joe ,looks great!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Nice job Joe- looks real clean!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 2fat2fly Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 pm

ant7377 wrote:Wow Joe ,looks great!

happy bowtie happy bowtie DITTO, JUST SAYING , AND AGAIN DITTO, DITTO ,DITTO Frames back from the sandblaster 978692
2fat2fly
2fat2fly
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 am

Thanks guys.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member