G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pontiac rear end verses chevy (1973)

+2
Wallyuph
Joe73
6 posters

Go down

Pontiac rear end verses chevy (1973) Empty Pontiac rear end verses chevy (1973)

Post by Wallyuph Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 am

I have a question on the whole rear end for 1973. I have a Chevy Malibu and took out the stock non posi rear end. I installed a 1973 Pontiac Lemans rear end with 308 gears. Just went to get axle seal for it and for got about the Pontiac thing and said I needed one for a 1973 Chevy. ( I had the old seal with me)The axle seal was not right. It was to small for axle. Then I said wait it’s a Pontiac. (parts guy must think I’m Looney now) it was bigger and fit. Did Pontiac have larger axles?

So my question is what is the difference if both years are the same?
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Pontiac rear end verses chevy (1973) Empty Re: Pontiac rear end verses chevy (1973)

Post by Joe73 Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:50 pm

I think the guy gave you the wrong part. I just ran a 73 lemans and a 73 chevelle on rockauto.com. Both use a National #2043 axle seal.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Pontiac rear end verses chevy (1973) Empty Re: Pontiac rear end verses chevy (1973)

Post by Wallyuph Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:02 pm

I was at my local Kath auto parts. I don't like big chain stores. When I looked them up on Auto Zone they list 5 different axle seals all with different sizes for ID and OD demensions. But it pulls up the same seals for eighter Chevy or Pontiac
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:18 am

I'm dealing with a ten bolt rearend in my 1974 Malibu classic, it has a rearend I have yet to completely identify, it is a ten bolt rear cover but is shaped kinda like an hour glass, or rather a circle with two scallops cut into it inline with the axle tubes. When I pulled the cover, low and behold, NO C Clips! they are bolt in axles. The ring gear is bolted to the carrier with ten bolts and measures at least 8.5 but may be 8.7" but my measuring under the car a tape measure and a couple flat pieces of metal to stick on either side of the ring gear seems inaccurate at best. So I spent a long time on the internet trying to find out what it is and basically found out it is harder to get parts for. It has 3.08 gears, 40 ring gear teeth 13 pinion. Did the Malibus come with bolt in axle ten bolts?
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 am

carcass wrote:I'm dealing with a ten bolt rearend in my 1974 Malibu classic, it has a rearend I have yet to completely identify, it is a ten bolt rear cover but is shaped kinda like an hour glass, or rather a circle with two scallops cut into it inline with the axle tubes. When I pulled the cover, low and behold, NO C Clips! they are bolt in axles. The ring gear is bolted to the carrier with ten bolts and measures at least 8.5 but may be 8.7" but my measuring under the car a tape measure and a couple flat pieces of metal to stick on either side of the ring gear seems inaccurate at best. So I spent a long time on the internet trying to find out what it is and basically found out it is harder to get parts for. It has 3.08 gears, 40 ring gear teeth 13 pinion. Did the Malibus come with bolt in axle ten bolts?

Its an Olds rear,I have one in my 77 Monte, came that way factory. The carrier is an 8.5 just like all the others but the axle bearings are different. Really all the stuff but the axle bearing are the same. You need timken part # set 9 (thats the part# -set 9) and the corresponding seal and race and they must be pressed on.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Okay thanks for that info, that being said can a guy get oversize 30 spline axles and use a 30 spline eaton posi in the diff or are you stuck with the stock 28 spline press bearing axles?? Is it worth spending 1500 on one of these olds housings? Or should a guy shuck it and get a nine inch?
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 pm

1500 bucks!? The guy wants that much to put all the stuff in? Thats really alot,if you want to go for the Furd 9 inch and it only a little more than do it but I cant see it costing that much to redo the rear maye a little more than half that, parts included.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:35 pm

1500 might be a bit high but a good carrier is 5 bills and gears and a setup kit are several hundred, and if a guy replaces axle bearings too thats well over half the 1500 just in parts, If you can replace the axles with 30 spline mosers theres at least 3 bills right there, add welding the tubes to the center with nickle rod and a tig gun and 1500 for the whole unit seems about right to me am I wrong please show me the way.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:37 pm

plus good luck getting a bearing support cover for this crazy looking scalloped flambanoid.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 pm

I just spent 2300 setting up a twelve bolt for my Nova and I thought it was a good deal,
30 spline Moser axles
Moser bearing support rear cover.
2 inch 1/2 screw in wheel studs
Eaton Posi
3.73 richmond street gears
Mark Williams steel bearing cap drivers side
Inland empire 1350 input yoke
Bill scribner welded the tubes to the center section and reinforced the spring perches
So an Olds ten bolt is only 750 to set up?? How?
Eaton posi five bills
richmond gears 195 bucks
richmond set up kit 125
labor??
how about a rear cover and axles?
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Thats alot of dough,I dont know what your intentions are for a motor and yeah if you need axles I guess that adds quite a bit to it but I just did the 8.5 in my 73 Monte and it was about 5 - 650 in parts thats with a new Eaton carrier all new bearings and seals and races ( I have a little hook for that but not much) and around 5 hun in labor & odds and ends. So I guess If you need the 30 splines then yeah thats what its going to cost. How much is the 9 inch? I didnt need any special cover for bearing support. It was a little more than what I said above when you start looking at receipts.
FYI I got my carrier and gears from these guys -good price
http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:59 am

For that price range, you're better off buying off this guy.

9" Inch Furd Complete Rearend Axle - GM A-Body Chevelle

http://bit.ly/RTqT7P
That one is for a 68-72 but he makes complete bolt in assemblies for 73-77 if you ask.
Super nice dude. That's where I'm buying my 9" housing for my wagon.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:58 am

Check out this guy.

Turn around is 2 days, uses brand name parts, and is in your backyard (NE Indiana).

http://www.moserengineering.com/housing-axle-packages/moser-9/9-housing-axle-package-inch-part-number.html
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Because eBay dude builds custom housings cheaper than Moser. I'm getting adjustable lower mounts and a 3" narrower housing for $0 extra.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 pm

And in this case, is cheaper better?
Shipping alone is $150?

I had someone else send me a link to some rear end that had OP stamped in the lower control arm brackets. Did you look at the construction, brackets, and compare it to any others? The upper mounts had roll cage gussets for support. Currie, Moser, and others use brackets that look like OEM and uses metal thickness equivalent (or better) to your OEM housing.

If you were building a street stock or an oval track claimer, knowing you would run it for a season or until it gets crashed, sure go for it.

In a street car?

My last 9" swap came from Speedway Motors only because I looked over someone else's swap and was surprised by the quality of parts and its low cost (Axles & housing for $800).
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:17 am

Yes! and American mad axles and components means alot to me. Moser provides a larger percentage of that.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down