G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood

+8
whiskeyboy84
guna
fishhead
Psychlonic
77ElClassic
74 chevelle malibu
Joe73
1973 454 MONTE
12 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood Empty Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood

Post by Psychlonic Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Basically I'm looking for the best deal on a 4" cowl hood that will use the hinges. Fiberglass. And the last thing is that I'm looking for one that doesn't come up entirely to the nose of the hood, there's a little bit of gap left that's still flat before it rises up into the cowl.

US Body's 4" heavy duty cowl hood meets this criteria, but it's also basically $800 which is ridiculous when other companies offer bolt-on hoods for $500 or less. VFN Fiberglass seems to offer a nice one, but the cowl comes completely out to the nose. While I think it looks better, it's a deal breaker for my application. Fiberpartsconcepts offers absolutely no information on their hoods nor a picture of the G3GM cowl at all so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into with them.

Any other companies? Anyone seen the FPC cowl before? I've been doing tons of body work and I really want to avoid glassing my own, I'm getting sick of the body work and would like to hurry up and get the damn thing painted already.

EDIT - Guess I should probably add, this is for a 73 Laguna.

Psychlonic
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood Empty Re: Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood

Post by 77mali Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 am

Check out the 1st few pages- maybe you can mod one of these if necessary into you original hood?

http://www.eharwood.com/pdf/Harwood-catalog.pdf
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychlonic Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm looking for an all fiberglass hood for weight savings. I could mod a stock-style fiberglass hood but I'd rather not have to if at all possible.

EDIT - Just got off the phone with FPC and they seem like really good guys. Their hood is bolt-on which the site doesn't say and I need to give them a ring back on Monday so they can pull the mold and see exactly what the specs are on the cowl. If it meets my specs I'll likely be doing business with them.

Psychlonic
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

While on the phone, can you see what they have for 73-77 montes?
Thanx in advance
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 pm

I'd also recommend the lightweight hood springs for a glass hood. Got them for my L88 glass hood. Makes everything operate smoothly.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychlonic Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Joe73 wrote:I'd also recommend the lightweight hood springs for a glass hood. Got them for my L88 glass hood. Makes everything operate smoothly.

Thanks for mentioning that, actually. I had that in mind awhile back but somehow had lost track of the thought more recently. I can imagine the stock springs would be brutal on the fiberglass hood when trying to close it.

1973 454 MONTE, I can throw the question in there but their website seems to suggest they don't support our Montes. Sad

Psychlonic
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 chevelle malibu Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:25 am

Post what you find out . I have been looking also but don't want to drop that much money and not be happy with product.
74 chevelle malibu
74 chevelle malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 77ElClassic Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:20 am

I spent today walking the Carlisle Nationals (http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/) swap meet. I found one vendor selling cowl hoods for G3s. So far, he's only got the Chevelle/El Camino for our years. He had one in stock - 4" cowl. The cowl does start several inches back from the nose and he has a nice, heavy lip on the front and sides. Also a nice gauge steel reinforcements for the hinge bolts. They are advertized at 449.00 on the website - http://fiberpartsconcepts.com/1272797.html - but he offered it at $395.00 at the close of the show. I know he's near Philly and states they are all hand made their locally.
77ElClassic
77ElClassic
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychlonic Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Hey, thanks a ton for the information. Seems like the best option for me then.

Unfortunately for me I'm clear across the country in Oregon so shipping is a necessary evil. Total cost is going to be... a lot. Sad But still far better than if I went with US Body.

Psychlonic
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:31 pm

I grafted a harwood 4" onto my 73malibu factory hood but had to compensate for the difference in the middle ridges.It looked killer but it was annoying looking through the windshield,i wouldn't recommend a 4" on the street because of obstructed view.I'm planning on a 2-2 1/2" for my next hood,i think they look a little more natural.Just my humble 2 cents.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by guna Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:46 am

GLASSTEK.COM they offer flat bolt on and 4" cowl hood use lightweight hood spring for a 70-72 chevelle
guna
guna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by whiskeyboy84 Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Hey BRother Check Out VFN Fiberglass they are the original producers of this hood I bought one from them about 10 years ago now they offer flat 2in and 4in also in bolt on and pin on plus they stock the matching light weight springs they can also be found on the el camino store the light weight springs that is.
whiskeyboy84
whiskeyboy84
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by whiskeyboy84 Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:45 pm

hey also forgot to post about the length of the cowl on the VFN give them a call I know mine was one of the first 2in cowls they did and it doesnt goe all the way to the nose of the hood it lacks getting there by 4 to 6 inchs I would go measure it but the car is in texas and I am here in kansas I am having a buddy of mine replace both rear quarter panels this winter since I cannot drive her up here.
whiskeyboy84
whiskeyboy84
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:00 pm

73 long time ago i posted site for montes had hoods fenders ect if memory serves had doors and deck lids
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I've seen people actually cut into the top half of their stock hoods in order to raise the metal upwards to form a cowl (like the type you see on the 68-72 Chevelles). Most have just used a bit of extra sheet metal to form the sides. It'll allow for flexibility as far as how far down you actually want to extend it & leave the center "bead" in the hood. It looks like a pretty easy operation as long as you are good enough with metalwork, can weld or know a good welder.

I googled the term- "Weld on cowl hood" & under images, there were quite a few that showed this- mostly Truck forums I think.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 pm

I got a good deal on a glass hood with no scoop so I've been looking at the add on scoops. I would HIGHLY suggest mocking it up with cardboard on your current hood to see what you like in person. I did this last night and I'm really glad I did. I thought I wanted a 53"Long scoop and realized I hated how little flat there was before the scoop, so I cut 6" off of it and liked that much better.

No scoop

Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood F21950B8-58EC-4326-AC62-98700A302760-2820-000004AFB2F35DC5

47"

Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood C9B7F5E1-59D5-41CB-A241-4470BCEFAB72-2820-000004AFB7160DCC

53"

Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood 5E8E813B-A0D5-437D-A24D-AAB012F1A98F-2820-000004AFC71BDA0A

Just something to think about when you actually buy one.

Also, I was curious as to how bad it'd be to look over/around the scoop while driving. I'm kinda tall but this is what it'd look like inside to me.

Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood 9D256105-4C10-42FF-916F-2C334106107B-2820-000004AFD57D0707

Don't mind the baby sh*t green dash.. Barf

Last edited by Brainstain on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:01 am

here are pics of mine. mine i bought the cowl off ebay and riveted it to my factory hood with large rivets. plans are the use fiberglass and body filler to smooth it out.
Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood 1510
Need Help Choosing Cowl Hood 1612
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down