G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73-77 GM A-Body Crossmember ( Compucar Inc) For true dual exhaust

+6
77mali
pila
Mcarlo77
WholesaleAutoPartsExpress
Bruisr
JB2wheeler
10 posters

Go down

73-77 GM A-Body Crossmember ( Compucar Inc) For true dual exhaust Empty 73-77 GM A-Body Crossmember ( Compucar Inc) For true dual exhaust

Post by WholesaleAutoPartsExpress Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Hello guys,

New member here. First off I want to whis everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I have 10 brand new in the box Compucar Cross members for the 73-77 Gm A body. These replace your transmission crossmember and allow you to run a true dual exhaust set up. I am having trouble uploading the pictures but I do have them listed on ebay if you would like to see the pictures. I am asking $200 plus $25.00 for the shipping. Again I have 10 of these that I bought from them years ago an I need to get them off my shelves. Please pm me with questions. Just search the title of this thread in Ebay to find my listing.

Thanks aguys!

Rich

G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

73-77 GM A-Body Crossmember ( Compucar Inc) For true dual exhaust Empty Re: 73-77 GM A-Body Crossmember ( Compucar Inc) For true dual exhaust

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Do they fit 74 El Camino? JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

73-77 GM A-Body Crossmember ( Compucar Inc) For true dual exhaust Empty Re: 73-77 GM A-Body Crossmember ( Compucar Inc) For true dual exhaust

Post by Bruisr Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 pm

If they fir the montes and chevelles they will fit the elcos. The 4 door cars I believe have the smaller crossmembers
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 pm

My Elcos, '76 & '77 that I had, used '73 Chevelle cross members. Also have Chevelle cross member in my '75 Elco project. Not sure about the Monte though...

Here's a pic of the frame before sand blasting. There's a '73 or '74 ( same thing) cross member bolted in, to be sure it fit right.
73-77 GM A-Body Crossmember ( Compucar Inc) For true dual exhaust P1010560

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I have one of these -- bought it a few years back when I was upgrading to the 200-4R. It's an excellent piece and is very strong. The only difference between it and the stock piece is it has a slight arc to it as you look at it from above, whereas the stocker is straight.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by WholesaleAutoPartsExpress Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:48 pm

I Just talked to Scott at Compucar and he told me that these will not fit the El Camino. The Camino was a little bit narrower. He said there is a chance that this could be modified to fit but that will be on you to make any changes. Can you measure the center to center measurement on your crossmember bolt holes?

Thanks in advance

Richie

G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:48 pm

They must be just a bit longer ? Should be easy enough to trim them, and if necessary, tweak the holes a bit etc.
The stock '73 and '74 members aren't too easy to find these days, with many of the old cars scrapped in recent years. Good price on those Richie ! Welcome to the fun here !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:18 pm

I sold a factory original dual hump off a '73 El Camino recently and here is what it measured:

- 46 1/2" O.A.L.
- 45" lg. Ctr-to-Ctr hole
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:15 pm

A pic would be nice. There's a how to stickey:
https://www.g3gm.com/t1052-how-to-post-pictures-take-two
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:21 pm

WholesaleAutoPartsExpress wrote:Can you measure the center to center measurement on your crossmember bolt holes?

Tried to measure it this morning, but the driveshaft and the exhaust prevent a straight-line measure with a tape. I could probably do t with a plumb bob, but I didn't have time. Probably easiest to just pull one out of the box and measure it if you have them handy.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:31 pm

I was just looking through my notes, and came across the measurements for the '73 cross member in my Elco project. The mounting hole centers are 54 1/2 inches to centers. and the centers of the "humps" are 19 inches apart. Don't know if that helps.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Sure that isn't 45 1/2"? The longer '73/'74 dual humps for Montes, Chevelles, etc. aren't even 54 1/2" in total length. The 45 1/2" would correspond (pretty much) with what I measured on my Elko dual hump and posted previously.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Might just be a type-o....45, 54.

No pics yet eh?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Yeah, it might be that I copied it from someone else. These are old notes in my book. If you measured it yourself, I'll go with that & change it in my note book. I did measure the humps though, when planning where my exhaust was gonna be located.
Since I have a TH400 trans in it, i had to mount the cross member to the back end of the frame tabs & holes.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Ok so here is a link to this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-77-GM-A-Body-Transmission-Cross-Member-for-True-Dual-Exhaust-Compucar-Inc-/170957570241?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cddd80c1&vxp=mtr
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:02 am

Mine must have been a slightly earlier design -- it does not have the adjustable end, which would have made installation significantly easier. Smile

Also didn't have all those slot options on the trans mounting pad -- but there was plenty of material for me to make mods.

Everything else looks the same.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kyle1979 Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey guys, I know this is an older thread, but I am now looking for a dual exhaust crossmember for my 73 Laguna wagon. If you have one for sale, please PM me.
Thanks,
Kyle
kyle1979
kyle1979
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:26 pm

I didn't buy one for mine, but I did make one. Here's a thread that might help you some.

https://www.g3gm.com/t10383-dual-exhaust-crossmember?highlight=crossmember
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:39 pm

[quote="kyle1979"]Hey guys, I know this is an older thread, but I am now looking for a dual exhaust crossmember for my 73 Laguna wagon.  If you have one for sale, please PM me.
Thanks,

Doesn't your 73 Wgon have one from the factory?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down