G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exhaust intake? so lost :(

5 posters

Go down

exhaust intake? so lost :( Empty exhaust intake? so lost :(

Post by rebel101150 Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:43 pm

posting on behalf of a friend. his 350 is going through this in his 74.

hey guys, Engine is cammed, different head, just about nothing is stock. Anyways, I bought it off a buddy of mine a few weeks ago. He mentioned that he replaced the exhaust gasket and manifold a month or so ago. He did the right gasket but said the left looked fine, well as i'm driving down the road I kicked on the fan and exhaust starting coming through. that same day the car started sounding like a truck or an angry vw bug. Hard to explain really. Well now light smoke is coming out of the left side of the gasket/intake area. Anyone know what the hell is going on? he left me another one just in case it happened to go. i'm pretty lost, the car sounds obnoxious now and the smoke comes through the vents if I kick the fan on. (heater is removed). I take it its not too bad right now but dont want it getting worse. a buddy of mine said replace Valve cover gaskets, intake mani gaskets, carb to mani gasket and I should be good. idk...so lost. any insight helps.

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

exhaust intake? so lost :( Empty Re: exhaust intake? so lost :(

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:28 pm

The old VW sound is an exhaust leak. I would recheck the header bolts, and look for any signs of a burnt gasket.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:45 pm

we have a replacement already but i feel like we're going to need two.not to mention a way to patch the exhaust leak then

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:18 pm

if headers are cheapo may have a warped flang but if ya get real good a.k.a expensive extra thick copper gaskets from like POL and a few others you can work around the issue with out having to get new headers.also make sure to recheck your header bolts they like to loosen
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:53 pm

dragons_lair59 wrote:if headers are cheapo may have a warped flang but if ya get real good a.k.a expensive extra thick copper gaskets from like POL and a few others you can work around the issue with out having to get new headers.also make sure to recheck your header bolts they like to loosen

i'll probably end up getting both or patching the old ones. ive heard you could with liquid weld.

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:14 am

shoot theyre headman headers...

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 pm

surfaceof head may not be perfectly flat. how thickis the flang that bolts ro the head some cheaper headmans even have a thin flang that warps
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Sounds like maybe the bolts need to be tightened? The gaskets around the ports are probably shot if they were not torqed all the way to begin with. As mentioned already, I'd start there also & a good set of gaskets is the way to go. Mr. Gasket makes a set of bolts that have an allen head built in- the set comes with a 3/8" socket with the allen built in (Advanced Auto Parts) that makes torquing the bolts a bit easier around the pipes. It might help to get those when replacing the gaskets.

As far as the other gaskets go I wouldn't mess with them just yet.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:50 pm

A less expensive alternative to copper gaskets is to double up paper gaskets. This is how i have always done it. You just have to make sure the bolts do not loosen up or they will blow out.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by rebel101150 Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:04 am

dynchel wrote:A less expensive alternative to copper gaskets is to double up paper gaskets. This is how i have always done it. You just have to make sure the bolts do not loosen up or they will blow out.

can I buy any chevy 350 exhaust gasket or do I have to get a specific one for the engine?

rebel101150
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 am

Just need sbc header gaskets. I always get them from at auto zone in they're performance isle. My experience is that the round port gaskets tend to seal better than the rectangular ones. Good luck.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down