G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shoulder harness attachment

4 posters

Go down

Shoulder harness attachment Empty Shoulder harness attachment

Post by pila Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 21:15

Since my Elco project is a '75 body, all the interior stuff I saved from the '77 I scrapped isn't a bolt-in.
Today I was going to bolt the shoulder harness take-up reels in place, but noticed that the '75 is different. The '75 uses two small bolts to attach the reel, while the '77 type uses one big 1/2-13 bolt with torx type head, like the same type used for attaching seat belts on the floors.
So an alteration was necessary, like locating the reel down lower like the '77, and drilling new holes to mount the reel brackets. Luckily, I could reach through the vent hole in the rear door post where the plastic louver goes, to get a large area washer, a lock washer & nut on the bolt. The plastic interior trim is also different between those two model years, but it's working out OK (so far) Very Happy
I'm taking some pics as I go along, to include in the album on photobucket.
I'll post some here when I get it together.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Shoulder harness attachment Empty Re: Shoulder harness attachment

Post by jerry46765 Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 21:57

Interesting, could you swap the top reel from the '77?

I have been hoarding seat belts, and didn't notice the difference.

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 22:22

My 77 coupe uses the same 2 larger bolts. Is this set up the same as you have? Here's an older pic pre-paint.
Shoulder harness attachment P1000110
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 7:47

Know what else is weird on those '75 Elkies...some came with shoulder retractors and some with the stationary mounts like on '73 cars. Learned that recently when helping a guy with his restoration.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 20:17

Mine may have been one without the take-up reels. It's a 1C80, the cheap model. The Classic is a 1D80 from what my manuals list.

Anyway, I have all the interior plastic trim mounted. Next is the carpet. I have the back half of the carpet laying on my office floor, and the front half laying on the guest room floor. Some wrinkles in them from being rolled up in the box. I used the wife's hair dryer to warm up some of the wrinkled places, to get them flat.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 20:19

So Bill- when will you be driving it? Seems like you're pretty darn close- Congrats!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 20:33

Not sure when it will get totally done. (good question !!) When I get the carpet in, I'm gonna cover it with plastic to keep it clean, then install the seat, and steering wheel. After that, the weather strip will be next I think. The little stuff is what eats our lunch so-to-speak.
So it's 95% done, and 95% to go !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 20:40

LOL- I'm not liking all the little stuff! I'm the same percentage on my motor, the worst part is all the stuff you think should be rudimentary & it turns out you need a doctorate to figure it all out. Sheesh.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down