G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temp Sender locations

+3
dynchel
Joe73
ant7377
7 posters

Go down

Temp Sender locations Empty Temp Sender locations

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 pm

There are of course 2 locations for a temp sender on each side of the cylinder heads for coolant chamber temp reading (ideal) but since I have my exhaust manifolds set up like a boat engine, for a test fire/break in- the cut-outs in the headers for sender placement are covered by the "rearranged" exhaust manifolds.

So, I'm going to have to place the temp sender on the intake manifold for obvious reasons- which location (if it matters) would give the best reading? I have 2 locations that should work fine & the gauges I have came with the 3 common sized threads. I'm leaning towards installing it in this particular location (There is a-plug there now, but see photo). Thanks.

Temp Sender locations P1010610
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Temp Sender locations Empty Re: Temp Sender locations

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:58 pm

I've never seen a manifold with a temp sender port in that location. I always use the port right next to your "made in USA" sticker. I dont use the head locations anymore.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Paul,I have mine in the location Joe is talking about. Works fine there.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Guys, take a look at this pic from when I pulled the motor...did i screw up where the blue arrow is and reversed it? My old non vortec intake had the hose nipple in that location up top that you guys have your sender. Mine was set up for an idiot light on the side of the block. It worked fine set up like that as far as the coolant flowing through the block & heater core, etc.

Temp Sender locations P1030310
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:53 pm

I've never seen a heater hose hooked up to that side, but I think it would work fine. Your heater core is on the passenger side of the firewall. So the hose you have on the water pump is good and the other heater hose would normally go to the manifold port on the passenger side of the engine. Right above cylinder #2. I'd put your temp gauge where your manifold heater hose is now.

If your just doing this for engine break in, I wouldnt go crazy. I'd just plug both and forget about the heater core until the engine is installed.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Quick question, my '74 had some sort of sensor on the rear of the pass side cylinder head. What was this for? It went into a blind hole. I have looked in service manuals and wiring diagrams with no avail. It obviously isn't that important as the car runs the same with or without it. Just wondering.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Going into the cooling chamber? If you plugged it, then It was most likely a temp sender.

I was looking at pics of my old intake & the nipple was where the larger plug is now. Ooops, lol. I'm going to have to rethink this but yes I suppose it makes more sense to put the sender up top.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm

If the sender is up-stream, like before the thermostat, it should read the high temp, just before going to the radiator.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:38 pm

I have seen some lt1 motors that the blue arrowed connection connected via a hose to the water pump, not sure if that is because of the reverse flow or not tho.
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm

I think what I'm going to end up doing is place the sensor up top & remove the nipple for the break in. Afterwards, I think I'll unplug the smaller one @ the bottom of the blue arrows I marked in the pic. I think I still have a brass nipple that came w/ the manifold that I'll put in its place & just run the hose there instead. Make sense?

I'll still need to figure out a heater valve too but I think I'll put it in the rubber line off the manifold over by the heater core somewhere.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:08 am

77mali wrote:
Temp Sender locations P1010610

when motor installed,i would block off (red square) put sender next to (USA sticker) than your heater valveTemp Sender locations Valve10 can go in the other threaded hole on the other side.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:24 am

I did not know the HV would thread into the larger port. Very good advice- Thanks! U da man..lol

Appreciate everyone chiming in too!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down