G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel

+5
77mali
thatfnthing
dynchel
ant7377
1973montec
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel Empty Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel

Post by v8power Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi i search for my 74 Chevelle to do my sound system Original:

-A Dash Bezel without a modern radio hole, in Black color.
-A Lower Door Panel in white beige??. Look the picture. I have electrical windows.

Anybody have this parts?

Thank you!

Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel Dashbo10
Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel Doorpa10
v8power
v8power
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel Empty Re: Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel

Post by Joe73 Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Nice looking interior. I have the same color combo in my SS.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Those look like white door panels, but check your Trim Tag on the cowl for the number. I've seen an Off-White or Beige in '73 models with the dash color like yours, but not sure that was carried over to '74 models. Don't get too hung up on only finding a correct color door panel with the power window switch cutout. Any door panel has a cut-out template on the back that shows where you can cut the opening for the switch. the single switch opening on the passenger side is nothing more than where the round hole is for the manual window crank.

Black dash panel shouldn't be hard to find. I've got original radios.

Is that a rear defrost rocker switch to the right of the strg column? Must have the electric wires-in-the window type of defrost?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 pm

I think thats the off-white interior like I have. I've seen that color in 73 and 74. 75 started the pure white interiors.

Interesting on that switch. Never seen one like that before.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 pm

the radio is only gonna fit if the dash itself is fixed,not just the bezel. chris had a couple of 73 montes with that color interior.i think GM called it nuetral. the dash was like a brown/green color,he even has those too.
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 pm

You have to make something to support the radio from the front,I used counter top material,made holes and a rectangle about where the knobs and front are, then put the dash bezel on. the back of the radio can be supported with some homemade bracket.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah...that's a good point. Could maybe fabricate a bracket to reproduce the radio knob holes in order to steady the front of the radio. If not V8Power, let me know and I'll cut a section out of a damaged dash and you can rebuild that section. Other option would be to replace the lower half of your dash...that is, if you have the 2-pc dash.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Use the bezel as a stencil to cut the holes then use a dremel to cut them.I would leave the surrounding area (what I did ) kinda big so you can fit it where you want it slowly cutting away the excess counter top stuff. Its the sample stuff like from Home Depot that they give you to see how it looks in your house,thin pieces.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:24 pm

MCarlo77, if you have an extra radio piece from a trashed dash, I can use it as well. Just let me know what you want for it plus shipping. I need to do the same thing. Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:28 pm

I'll see if I can't get you one in the next week or two. Still waiting for the friggin' snow to melt up here. Tried going out over the weekend and there's still a foot of snow drifted around the cars in the yard. Remind me if you don't hear back in that time.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 pm

Joe73 I have one ready to cut out if in a hurry ?? for it No room to store any of the extra parts I have ....... would swap ya for some parts you have for sale and you pay ship ?

Also Steve Not tryin to step on your toes for this either I know you have alot alot and even alot more snow than it would take for me to go around to the shed at back of house ......
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by v8power Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 pm

thank you guyz for the answers!
@Mcarlo77 Yes the switch is the rear defrost rocker switch.

I search a dash panel without hole and i think repair is not the same quality like the original.
I found this one: ebay item nr 321052036795
but the rear window defogger switch spare are not available.
v8power
v8power
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 pm

I think you may be misunderstanding what we were referring to when talking about repairing the dash where the radio opening was cut out. Behind your front dash bezel is another cutout within the lower dash itself. It was almost certainly cut up as well to fit the aftermarket radio in there. A repair to that area would not be visible. Some dashes were a 2-pc where the lower half separated from the top. If yours is of this type, you could just replace the lower half of your dash. You can easily tell if you have this type of dash as there will be three mtg screws on the outer ends.

Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel Monted10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm

I have the radio piece I need enroute.

Question. Werent the a/c dashes 2 piece and the non a/c the one piece. I've had 4 non a/c dashes from various years and they were all one piece. Just wondering.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by v8power Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:47 pm

ok i understand what you means. Thanks for this important information. I take off the aftermarket radio and watch what's behind.
v8power
v8power
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Okay, Joe! And no, there wasn't any rhyme or reason as to which dashes were 1-pc or 2-pc. My Monte dash is A/C and a 1-pc. This black one in the pic is off a '74 Malibu with non-a/c and is a 1-pc. This dash is in mint condition...I might add! cheers
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:03 pm

I have the same color, non a/c, 1 piece as well. Came out of a 73 Laguna. I also have the back seat from that car in my car. But it'll be coming out and the original seat will be going back in. I always like the pleated laguna back seats.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Okay, Joe! And no, there wasn't any rhyme or reason as to which dashes were 1-pc or 2-pc. My Monte dash is A/C and a 1-pc. This black one in the pic is off a '74 Malibu with non-a/c and is a 1-pc. This dash is in mint condition...I might add! cheers
If that is truely in a '74 malibu the gauge cluster looks to be off a newer car. It has a 100 mph speedometer (instead of a 120 mph). It also reads kilometers which I'm pretty sure '74's don't (at least mine dosen't) This was just discussed two days ago (on another thread) Laughing
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Very observant...and, you're right. I just set that cluster from another car in there 'cause I had nowhere else to put it.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 pm

dynchel wrote:
Mcarlo77 wrote:Okay, Joe! And no, there wasn't any rhyme or reason as to which dashes were 1-pc or 2-pc. My Monte dash is A/C and a 1-pc. This black one in the pic is off a '74 Malibu with non-a/c and is a 1-pc. This dash is in mint condition...I might add! cheers
If that is truely in a '74 malibu the gauge cluster looks to be off a newer car. It has a 100 mph speedometer (instead of a 120 mph). It also reads kilometers which I'm pretty sure '74's don't (at least mine dosen't) This was just discussed two days ago (on another thread) Laughing

Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel Cfbt0110 ??????
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 am

Maybe for cars built in Canada? Mine was, though I've never seen this decal.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 am

I think there were cars built in Canada for shipment to the US also that might not have included the kmph? I don't know though just guessing at that. It's been so long since I've looked at my sweep speedo that I can't remember if it has the km & mph of just mph. Over the years (old days) GM has built cars for foreign markets that had both & had the km in smaller script (which would tick me off if I was in a km country & had to squint to see how fast I was going. Shocked
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:33 am

My car was built in Canada for the us market. It does not have the kilometers only miles per hour. Also being'74 the gas gauge says "fuel" instead of the later "unleaded fuel only"
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by v8power Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 pm

i have a only km/h version on the dash.
v8power
v8power
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by v8power Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:23 pm

I put out my aftermarket radio and see a damaged mounting bracket (see pictures).
Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel Image10
Dash Bezel and Lower Door Panel Foto10

Whats the easiest way to repair this?
I found on ebay Mounting Bracket for 78 to 85 Cutlass. Can I use this in my 74 chevelle too?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olds-Cutlass-delco-radio-mounting-bracket-78-85-ETR-Cassette-8-Track-/221118479079?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337bb03ae7

Thank you for you help!
v8power
v8power
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next