G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Steering Gear Sugestions

+5
pila
77mali
Joe73
Tom77
ant7377
9 posters

Go down

New Steering Gear Sugestions Empty New Steering Gear Sugestions

Post by Tom77 Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 am

Looking to replace steering gear. What would be some of your suggestions on which to buy. Just for daily driving no road courses in Ghost Riders future.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

New Steering Gear Sugestions Empty Re: New Steering Gear Sugestions

Post by ant7377 Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 am

When you say steering gear do you mean a new steering box or do you mean new tie rods and stuff? If you mean a steering box many have been pleased with this guy- http://lee-powersteering.com/index.htm

Mike from Poland used him on his 73 Monte and he is very pleased.

As far a front end rebuild ive used kits from here- P-s-t.com
worked well for me.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Looking on rock auto and they have three kinds. Stock 10 to 1 and 16 to 1. Just wondering would this make a big difference?
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Depending on what your going for, I remember when guys would grab a monte SS steering box and put them in their older cars. If I remember correctly the thread for the hose into your pump needed an adaptor. The monte box was metric. But it gave you a nice quick ratio box.

Just a thought.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:17 pm

The 12.7:1 is considered to be a good upgrade and a common swap from the 70's & early 80's Camaro & Firebird, If I'm remembering correctly.

Never heard of a 16:1 ratio for our cars, that's interesting.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:26 pm

On my Malibu, I exchanged the old hi-ratio box for a rebuilt 12-to-1 box., at Advance Auto. That was around 1999 or so..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm going to put a Monte SS in my Laguna. I put one in my daughter's 77 Skylark and it really makes it fun to drive.

However, if you just want to cruise and have fewer turns lock-to-lock also, a variable-ratio box may be the ticket. The Monte box is very sensitive to off-center inputs and if you aren't used to it, you will be weaving down the road like a drunk driver.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 am

I have put the 12:1 boxes in my 68 Firebird and now my son's 75 Malibu. I love it in the Firebird but have not driven it in the Chevy yet. You can get the with either kind of fittings just do a little research. I think the one in the Firebird came from an early 70's T/A.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 am

If you care about parking lot maneuverability, then don't use one from a T/A. The turning radius of the car will increase because the total sweep of the gearbox is less than the factory box.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 am

I had a 79 firebird I used for a few parts. The front sway bar and the steering box. I'm not certain of the ratio, but I know it feels and reacts alot better. I'm gonna guess it to be a 12:1. It bolted right in. I don't understand what bigredlaguna states about total sweep, but I don't think I have that problem. I don't have any specific goals in mind with my elco, but with the poly bushings,kyb shocks, 1 1/4 front sway bar, and stock rear sway bar, with a half coil cut out of front springs, the handling was a much welcomed improvement! It corners like a slot car I think! I like it!!!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 am

There is a chart somewhere on the web that lists the degree that each box will turn. Some do turn more than others. My Firebird seems ok to me.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 am

IIRC the sweep of the factory gear is in the mid 80* range, and the T/A gear is in the 70* range. All it means is that the wheels don't turn as sharp at full lock.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 am

That makes sense now. I can honestly say, I never noticed it if its happening to me. I don't like to make u turns, and rarely go to full lock. I usely just goose it and slide thru the corner! LOL, when I was younger, and could afford them tickets. HAHA!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:13 am

I have a firebird box in my Laguna... has great road feel and response, but the turning radius is not as tight for sure. I have to make a sharp u-turn to get to my street sometimes, and before the change I could make it in one motion. Now it takes two. All my other cars can make the turn in one motion too.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down