G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chevelle stance

+3
77mali
Joe73
pila
7 posters

Go down

Chevelle stance Empty Chevelle stance

Post by Joe73 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Ok guys, just going to throw this out there to get some opinions. I've always loved a high stance (like 1973 454 monte Thumbs up ). My current setup is great but I think I'll be going to just plain "heavy duty" and not look for a sky high look. A little higher than stock would be great. You can see my current stance in my video http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=30vopj6&s=6

As it stands, my front springs are for a 454 w/ac, heavy duty. The rears are quite a bit bigger than stock. I just recently took off my bottom shock bolts and let the shock extend. The shock only extended about 1.5-2 inches. So of course the rear suspension is "topping out". I have no problems with the front suspension at all.

My car is a 350, NO a/c, NO power steering and battery in the trunk. I've run run all the different front springs like 350 HD, 350 HD with a/c, 454 no a/c HD. So basically my front springs are the heaviest stock springs made for our cars without cross referencing anything.

No looking for lowering the car at all. A nice firm suspension would be great.

So guys with stock type suspensions, what are you running and how the stance?

I'm actually thinking of just getting new HD rear springs and see how she sits. I have no problem with adding a spacer in the rear to give it a little "rake".

I also considered some Moroso "trick" springs for the front and rear to match up with my drag shocks. But moroso says not for street use and I do want more of a streetable car without sloppiness.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Chevelle stance Empty Re: Chevelle stance

Post by pila Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

A car that's raised puts the center of gravity higher, so I usually don't do it because of that.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 pm

I have the same big block with ac springs that you have. I cut one coil off of the front because I wanted to lower it. I have springs spec'ed for a '74 olds 98 in the rear (however I have a set of stock replacements waiting to be installed. The front rides very nice, but the rear feels like a empty dump truck over speed bumps. Beer
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Mine is unaltered- front & rear factory springs for a 305 w/ AC. I'm going to keep it stock for now. I like that look you're talking about but like Pila said- too high might affect how it handles.

Chevelle stance P1020810

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Mali, are those springs 305 a/c heavy duty? Or just the regular 305 a/c?

I'm not too worried about handling. Once this frame swap is done, I'll be putting in my factory original bars front 1 1/8" and the 7/8" rear. Glad I saved them all these years. Since the mid 80's I've been running a factory chevelle 7/8" front bar and spaced the frame mounts about an 1" from the frame. And I removed the rear bar. Man it cornered horribly. But I was looking for the weight transfer which it did nicely. But turn a corner and hold on. So everything will be bolted up normally for a stock ride.

Just looking for a little height and rake.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I don't know if there was a difference for a 305 w/ AC or "HD".

I can tell you I have 1 spring out right now & it got about 60% taller uncompressed and it looks like even after over 35 years the front spring seems as good as new. I don't know when the car lost the 305, when I bought it there was a 350 block in it. The car is sitting way, way higher with the motor out obviously but I don't think there is a lot of weight difference between a cast iron 305 vs 350.

Chevelle stance P1030510
Chevelle stance P1030910
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:49 am

heres how the monte looked when i bough it
Chevelle stance Stance10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Kinda sat cool in that pic. Maybe if the back was a 1/2 inch lower.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Always liked the old school stink bug look
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm

ant7377 wrote:Kinda sat cool in that pic. Maybe if the back was a 1/2 inch lower.
That is my ideal stance, low in the front with a little rake. GoFast
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down