G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any comments?

+10
driveit
thatfnthing
77mali
BicknellWelding
fishhead
BlackChevelleSS
JB2wheeler
ant7377
bigredlaguna
Laguna Budman
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Any comments? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any comments?

Post by dynchel Mon May 06, 2013 8:48 pm

If you like it don't let anyone discourage you. I'm not a purist and I think the look you're going for can look very cool. You just need a supercharger that had a on/off switch. Laughing
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Wouldn't that be a blast! I want to get a blower when I grow up!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm

dynchel wrote:If you like it don't let anyone discourage you. I'm not a purist and I think the look you're going for can look very cool. You just need a supercharger that had a on/off switch. Laughing

Are you referring to the movie, "My science project" that had the gto with the blower on a switch? Can't attach a clip from my phone.
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Mad max, as well as my science project bothvhad the hollywood only on/off supercharger.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon May 06, 2013 10:31 pm

I heard there was a guy in Australia that had designed something like that. I could never figure out how the engine got air and fuel when the blower isn't "on".
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 am

Your car dude...do whatever the heck makes you happy.

How would it look w/ the tails mitered & welded @ a 45 up top? That way no rain will collect in your system. Just a thought.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 am

Food for thought: for the water issue, assuming you don't get huge amounts of rain, you could try a simple drain:

o Drill a 1/8" or 3/16" hole in the bottom of the elbow where it turns up toward the bed.

o Either make sure the pipes angle downward slightly from the mufflers to the elbow or hammer a bulge in the bottom of the elbow.

This way the water runs out the drain hole instead of heading back toward the engine. Some exhaust gas will escape that way also, but as long as it's a small hole and the elbow happens after the mufflers it shouldn't have much effect on sound.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Kinda neat!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 pm

For now there will be no mufflers. I say now because until I hear it run I might not like the way it sounds, but mufflers are not in the plan, however cut outs are. I'm even contemplating and "x" pipe.
Drilling the small hole is a great idea, I might just do that.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue May 07, 2013 5:01 pm

[img]Any comments? - Page 2 Downsi13[/img]
Not permanently installed yet, adjustments will be made to height also. I removed bed panel to clean up and reseal, after mock up is finished. I'm thinking about getting some aluminum diamond plate and cut to shape of bed panel, so as not to destroy original one.[img]Any comments? - Page 2 T2ec1610[/img]

Got idea for diamond plate from this pic I found on youtube.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue May 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Here is the pic of the second pic above(side view)[img]Any comments? - Page 2 T2ec1611[/img]
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue May 07, 2013 5:50 pm

I've seen regular p/u trucks with the diamond plate bed floor. It looks good and is way less prone to damage than the original sheet metal. I think it would work good with the "mad max" theme you're going for.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue May 14, 2013 5:05 pm

[img]Any comments? - Page 2 Downsi15[/img][img]Any comments? - Page 2 Downsi16[/img][img]Any comments? - Page 2 Flo-8410[/img]
This is what I have so far, I'm working on the underside now. I'm gonna see what it sounds like without mufflers, but, if I don't like it, I found a set of mufflers that will work perfectly with the way I plan to route the pipes underneath.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue May 14, 2013 5:12 pm

The larger pipe is used to keep any fumes from entering the interior, and provide a much needed drain when the bed accumulates water. The 3 in. pipe is fully welded to the floor board. The smaller 2.5 in. pipe is just sitting in there now until I make the connection to the headers, at which point I'll fabricate the hangers and cut to the desired height. The flowmaster mufflers might be added. If so, I plan to mount perpendicular to the driveshaft where the head pipes will run parallel to the driveshaft and 90 degree bend to the stacks.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Tue May 14, 2013 6:13 pm

u got to put some flappers on there u got to love the sound of the tappin at idle
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Wed May 15, 2013 1:35 am

Still working out some ideas on how to do that. Been trying to figure out how to design something like butterflies on the carb. baseplates. Offset the pivot pin so the butterfly will always close when engine is off, but, not too much resistance so it will open easily. The Dual outlets measure 2 1/8x 2 1/4, times 4 pipes. Not to mention oval shaped and slant cut. I'm not a machinist, and don't have access to that equipment. I'll have to cut and grind each individual flap.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed May 15, 2013 6:42 am

I think dynomax sells flappers for their truck stax. Maybe you could make those work?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 15, 2013 8:32 am

Here ya go Boss already made

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynomax-35907-Exhaust-Flapper-/400444155205?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item5d3c54e545&vxp=mtr

Any comments? - Page 2 $T2eC16VHJF8E9nnC7OHMBRTNmtjEww~~60_35
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 pm

I made up 90 percent of the underside exhaust pipe yesterday, got some hi heat paint, and painted the exposed pipes. I have 2 hang-ups. 1- trying to design some hangers to support the pipe. 2- I want to be able to remove the stacks if for whatever reason. Having a hard time figuring out how to make it disassemble, yet not wobble around. I'll post some pics.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm not a computer savy person, but apparently the way I used to upload pics doesn't work anymore, go Figure.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Bruisr wrote:I'm not a computer savy person, but apparently the way I used to upload pics doesn't work anymore, go Figure.

https://www.g3gm.com/t1052-how-to-post-pictures?highlight=post+pictures
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat May 25, 2013 11:37 pm

[img]Any comments? - Page 2 Secure10[/img]
Much louder than I really expected, I really like it, my son loves it, and all the wife would do is smile real big! A few tweaks to be made, then its on to the removeable cover. Have a few ideas in mind.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat May 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Limey, It wasn't the website giving me problems. It was my own computer. I take the pics with my cell phone, then send to wife's email, then save to file on computer, then download as you described. Today it decided to work for me, go figure!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat May 25, 2013 11:46 pm

One final adjustment will have to be made when I assemble the 454 and install in the car, the header length on the small block currently in the car, will be shorter than the big block headers so I'll have to trim the pipe just after the collector.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2