G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

d**** intake leak.

3 posters

Go down

d**** intake leak.   Empty d**** intake leak.

Post by thepossumface Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:39 pm

well sense i go put the Edelbrock mid rise rpm intake it started leaking on the pass side so i got the edelbrock intake manifold gasket as the book said hoping for better results but now only the front driver side (by the Tstat ) is leaking and my valve covers along with thr tstat which are all brand new, any ideas im sick of taking it on and off if it dont stop ill pull it out the car, its getting fusterating
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

d**** intake leak.   Empty Re: d**** intake leak.

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Are you using the thicker gasket? Fel Pro makes the stock gasket which is .060 (#1206) and then the thicker gasket which is .120 (#1266). Both will work and the thicker one is usually recommended for aluminum manifolds and most aluminum heads. I'd go with the thicker one if you havent already. BTW, those part numbers are off the top of my head, so double check if your ordering.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:56 pm

yeah the book i got from edelbrock wen i bought my intak #7101, said to use the thicker one which was 0.060
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 pm

I think they do make a thinner one (less than .060). I'd put a set of .120 in there and torque it to spec in proper sequence. That extra thickness should take care of everything. No sealant on the intake gaskets, just some Black RTV for the front and back and let it set up some before installing the intake.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Are you following the proper torque sequence?  Also when torquing bolts to final specifications (with a torque wrench)...it's good to take your final spec and do it in 3 increments.  For example- if the spec is for 20 ft lbs- set the 1st go around @ 10, then torque them all to 15, then all to 20 ft lbs.  I also use a little bit of RTV black on the back-side of the gaskets where they mate to the heads (again not a lot) just enough to get them to stick a bit so they don't move around when torquing the bolts. let them dry before installing the manifold.  There is also sometimes a problem area on the heads both in the front and in back where the manifold and heads meet (where the edges of the gaskets are by the block deck).  Also use plenty of sealant on the front & back of the manifold where it meets the engine block.  As far as the sender goes- are you using the teflon paste compound?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 pm

well i took it off got a new thing of sealing and tourqued it as it was suppose to now no leaks! except my hose 2 the stat is leaking a few drops, might need to redo that but all is well,for now
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down