G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb primaries question

5 posters

Go down

Carb primaries question Empty Carb primaries question

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:28 pm

I know you guy's can help w/ this, dumb question but I was working on the motor & starting it to see if my custom designed "hot lash" valve covers would work out.  The flap on the primaries is not opening properly @ at start up & I had to lay an allen wrench across them to allow for air infiltration (then it worked fine).  I don't have my throttle linkage & springs completed yet but even still isn't the little air bladder on the drivers side supposed to control them opening & closing?  It doesn't seem to be doing the job & IDK if I might be missing any linkage there?  I didn't notice any- here's a pic of it circled.  Thanks.

Carb primaries question P1010610
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Carb primaries question Empty Re: Carb primaries question

Post by Bruisr Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm not very good with quadrajets, but, I think the primary flap you are talking about is controlled by the choke adjustment housing? (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) I believe its the round object with the black cover directly under your vacuum pod you circled. I know the vacuum pod you circled has a linkage on it, but I think that is to keep the flap from opening when its not supposed to. Try loosening the 3 screws on the choke housing(the black cover) and rotate the cover and see if the flap moves. If it don't then the linkage inside isn't hooked up correctly.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:48 pm

I'll check it out next time, thanks.  Funny thing is that it was working fine before yesterday.  I couldn't start it at first b/c it did not open when I "hit the gas" by hand.  Always something to slow me up...I never should have swore at it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Did you look to see if the power wire is still connected to the choke? Again, I'm not certain, But I think that vacuum pod has a stepped linkage to prevent opening of the choke butterflies at a certain location of the throttle rotation. I have an old quadrajet I could verify this on if you need me too.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:03 pm

I think its called a choke pull off that runs on the vacuum and you adjust the electric choke on the black dial that wire goes too.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 pm

Electric choke is not hooked up yet, maybe I should do that 1st before tearing it apart.  It was rebuilt so it s/b close to tuned.  Thanks guys I appreciate the tips.  I don't think I've tuned a Q jet since about 1990 Laughing
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Paul,what you have circled there is the choke pull off. Make sure that works good by pushing it in and holding your finger over the little port the vacuum hose is connected too. If it holds its good. That is connected to the choke flap  on top the primaries are on the base plate. If the choke dosent open relativly soon after starting the car wont stay running long. If its giving you problems hold it open (rig it open) for now. Remember when its closed the fast idle cam is also on so it will idle much faster. I just looked at your pic. The little hose has to be hooked to the port to make it open. Is the air thin in New England this time of year?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 pm

ant7377 wrote:Paul,what you have circled there is the choke pull off. Make sure that works good by pushing it in and holding your finger over the little port the vacuum hose is connected too. If it holds its good. That is connected to the choke flap  on top the primaries are on the base plate. If the choke dosent open relativly soon after starting the car wont stay running long. If its giving you problems hold it open (rig it open) for now. Remember when its closed the fast idle cam is also on so it will idle much faster. I just looked at your pic. The little hose has to be hooked to the port to make it open. Is the air thin in New England this time of year?
LOL

That pic was a while back (wise-guy)...there is a vac hose on it Laughing 
& thanks
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:11 pm

You sure? Did you read my sentence about thin air. This is might be the problem ya know, ya get a little light headed.

Laughing 
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Ha!  I'm in the low-lands...not the mountains.  The problem with the air where I am is Smoking 

Seriously though- it's hooked up to the carb I think something might be broken between that & the plunger on the other side that the throttle pushes down for the gas.  Good thing for http://quadrajetparts.com/
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:36 am

If you start that engine without an air cleaner, keep your face away from the carb. Singed eyebrows don't look good !Very Happy

Don't ask how I know this !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:42 am

pila wrote:If you start that engine without an air cleaner, keep your face away from the carb. Singed eyebrows don't look good !Very Happy

Don't ask how I know this !
LOL...I almost had that problem but @ the other end. BIG orange fireball out of the R exhaust manifold almost got me when I was looking at the starter engagement a couple months ago. That woke me up quick.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:59 pm

The plunger is the accelerator pump ,its not connected to the choke. It should  just have the arm on top and the little rod attached to the arm that goes to  the the throttle bracket . There is a rod from the choke plate that goes down into the carb in a little chmber on the right side of the carb. That is connected to a small little bracket that the choke assembly which has sort of a D shaped rod on the end of it which goes into the side of the carb attaches too. Maybe the little bracket came off the D shaped rod somehow. I still think its the air.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 pm

It looks as if there is a missing piece near where the adjustment screw is. I'll take a pic but it looks as if something should be there to move the small bars that compress the air bladder.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 pm

A bladder in a Q-jet ??  That sounds bad.  I had a bladder stone removed about 20 years ago...

Oh...did you mean the choke pull-off canister ?Question Idea 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:01 pm

I don't know what it's called...LOL

The thingamawhatsit...maybe it's the flahdoogala?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down