G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for info on re-chroming

+3
pila
thatfnthing
dynchel
7 posters

Go down

Looking for info on re-chroming Empty Looking for info on re-chroming

Post by RossK73 Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 am

Hello - I pulled my bumpers this weekend as we are starting the repaint process on my 73 malibu. They have 40 years of jacking and scraping, so won't show real nice with the new paint! I am WAY east (maritimes) and there are no reputable re-chroming places locally.  I could sent to Ontario if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but want a good job done at a reasonable price. Anyone know the time line in doing this and a ballpark figure to work with??
Thanx,
Ross
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Looking for info on re-chroming Empty Re: Looking for info on re-chroming

Post by thatfnthing Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:41 am

I can't speak to every every location and price, obviously, and I don't know any platers in Canada, so this is FWIW. When I needed to rechrome the steel bracket parts below, Niagara Plating near me did an awesome job, but it's not a cheap process.  These cost me $350.00, so I would expect it to be something closer to 4 figures for an entire bumper...

Looking for info on re-chroming Bracke10
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Ah chrome plating...something I hope I never have to deal with again.  I used a local place that came in highly recommended.  (This was for my '60 oldsmobile) I had both bumpers done as well as some small parts and the bill was $1200.00.  Now they did need quite a bit of repair, dents and rust ( I ended up painting the lower bumper body color since they said that would be between $400.00 & $600.00 to do).  They came out nice but the front is showing gold.  I called them and the guy said that meant there wasn't enough chrome on it, bring it in and we'll redo it.  This bumper is several pieces, and bolts together as a assembly (very heavy)  I never took him up on his offer.  When I needed some other smaller pieces done I tried somewhere else (also local)  These pieces were pot metal, what I have learned as that there is no one (at least in the Cleveland area) that is competent enough to do pot metal and get even decent results.  My advice to you is ask questions and inspect the work before you pay.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:46 pm

dynchel wrote:They came out nice but the front is showing gold.  I called them and the guy said that meant there wasn't enough chrome on it, bring it in and we'll redo it.

That's because it's a 3-step process, the first two layers being nickel and copper, respectively, before the chrome layer. Insufficient chrome lets the copper show through. Although, having seen it, the copper stage is beautiful and would be tempting to leave it that way, but it would need a lot of protection to keep from oxidizing green.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Some platers don't do the copper plating.  Cheap way to do it, and doesn't last long.

If they were copper, they would have a nice petina after some time, like the Statue of Liberty Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Ross - check this out.

Midway Plating

They are local to me in London, haven't dealt with them, but have seen their work, not to mention what I've heard about them is all good.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by RossK73 Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:08 pm

thanx for the info guys. Anyone heard of Cambridge Chrome?....or anything about them? Thx
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 pm

RossK73 wrote:thanx for the info guys.  Anyone heard of Cambridge Chrome?....or anything about them?  Thx

I've never used them, but I did recently get a price quote and they aren't cheap. My dad did have some parts done for his bike a few years back. The chrome work was top notch.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:56 pm

I do not know if this will help, but everyone I know, including myself, has used Tri City Plating. I think they are in Tennessee or Kentucky? Pretty sure they are listed in Hemmings. Super Job Everytime!!!

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down