G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuck in the the Drive Through...

Go down

Stuck in the the Drive Through... Empty Stuck in the the Drive Through...

Post by driveit on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:47 pm

My family and I had a nice time cruising in the Chevelle on Saturday. It was a beautiful day. We had a picnic and went for a walk at a local park then decided to go to Hardees to get a milk shake. The car is a little loud so I shut it off in the drive through. It wouldn't start back. It would barely crank. I had been noticing for almost a year that the starter was a little draggy and it seemed to have been getting worse of late. It died Saturday. I got it jumped and called Orielly Auto to see how much a starter would cost. They said they had a 1 year warranty starter for 35. I got there and they had already sold it. They gave me the lifetime warranty for the same price. Smile I had to remove the header just to take it off. I lost a header bolt and now I have one missing on both sides. I fired that thing up and it started like a new one. I could not believe how fast it cranked. I was told my old on e was a high torque starter, but it never cranked like this one. Love that old car. It is so much more fun to drive with the exhaust leak quieted down. I still have a small and need to get some new bolts.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Stuck in the the Drive Through... Empty Re: Stuck in the the Drive Through...

Post by thatfnthing on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Glad you got it going again! That'll be one less thing on your to-do list now!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:36 pm

A aluminum starter blanket is a good idea with headers.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Now that you mention it, I used to have a heat soak problem with my old starter. I upgraded to a mini and wrapped it with this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-340020/overview/

Never had an issue afterward.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:57 pm

They sell a small blanket (dei makes it)specifically for wrapping starters. I always had heat soak problems, (slow cranking) a simple wrap fixed the problem for $15.00.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:00 pm

That one lasted since like 2003 so that's not too bad I don't think.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:31 pm

driveit wrote:My family and I had a nice time cruising in the Chevelle on Saturday.  It was a beautiful day.  We had a picnic and went for a walk at a local park then decided to go to Hardees to get a milk shake.  The car is a little loud so I shut it off in the drive through.  It wouldn't start back.  It would barely crank.  I had been noticing for almost a  year that the starter was a little draggy and it seemed to have been getting worse of late.  It died Saturday.  I got it jumped and called  Orielly Auto to see how much a starter would cost.  They said they had a 1 year warranty starter for 35.  I got there and they had already sold it.  They gave me the lifetime warranty for the same price. Smile I had to remove the header just to take it off.  I lost a header bolt and now I have one missing on both sides.  I fired that thing up and it started like a new one.  I could not believe how fast it cranked.  I was told my old on e was a high torque starter, but it never cranked like this one. Love that old car.  It is so much more fun to drive with the exhaust leak quieted down.  I still have a small and need to get some new bolts.

I'm really Happy to see you took some time a spent it with your family. I know you have been busy doing a lot of renderings lately. You will never regret the time you take to spend with family and friends. Sucks you had a break down but later on you will all laugh about this time you got stuck in a drive through.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Just did. lol... That is true. we had a good time. My daughter is 16 months and she was walking right along with us at the park. There was a very large hill that was difficult for her to climb, but she was determined. She made to the top on her own. I was a very proud papa. We have hard times, but my family is truly blessed.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down