G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need schooled on El Caminos!

+5
Limey SE
orange Juiced
thatfnthing
pila
JB2wheeler
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I need schooled on El Caminos! Empty I need schooled on El Caminos!

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:28 pm

So as I'm pending a sale on my 75 Monte, I've found a 77 El Camino (I need a truck, so why not something cool?) While I know the interchangeable parts between the Monte and the Camino, I need a quick schooling on whats interchangeable between the 73-77 years of the Camino. I want to know as much as you guys can share! A few things I need to know specifically for the car I'm looking at though, are the front end/grille, rear bumper/tail lights, emblems, interior plastic trim (bench seat, seat belts, is 73 plastic trim any different than 74-77 like the Monte?)

JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

I need schooled on El Caminos! Empty Re: I need schooled on El Caminos!

Post by dynchel Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Are you trying to put Monte Carlo body parts on it?  A brother of a friend put a '77 Monte front clip and doors on a '75 elcamino (he just had to change the door glass). Other wise all the front parts should interchange, you just may need more parts than you think.  I got a '76 elcamino grille for my '74 chevelle and found out the hard way I needed the brackets to the core support as they are different. Idk about the interior parts.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:49 pm

No no, I'm just using the Monte as reference. Some of the 73 Monte parts are 73 only.Then 74-75 are together, and 76-77 are together. I was wondering if the Camino shared a similar interchangeability between the years. Thank you for the info on the grille. I need to get a new grille/bracket, or a different year front end. The kid rear ended something and bent the grille in (thats why dad is selling the car, its too long for him to drive).

I'll be looking for some little parts soon too. One thing I remember, its missing the aluminum trim on the body of the body between the wheels. Rocker moldings.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:05 pm

I have owned a '73, a '76 SS, a new '77 Classic, and now have a '75 project ELCO.  Body sheet metal is the same for '73 thru '77.  Some early years have plastic inner front fenders. The front fenders will accept all grilles, but like mentioned, the brackets are different for each type grille. And all had two round head lamps thru '75. The base models of '76 & '77 also had the two round head lamps, but I've seen only one like that. "76 &'77 Classics had the 4-lamp set up.
The interior is mostly the same, but the basic plain-jane models seem to have shorter rear door post plastic trim, and don't have other items that the Classics & SS models have. Not sure about the seat belts & harnesses on the '73 models. The SS models are nothing special but some came with gauges instead of the lights, and the usual body side stripes.  Seems like a lot of this stuff was options.  The instrument panels ( dash) is the same except for the gauge options, and if AC or not.
 The Classics had the rocker panel trim you mentioned, as well as wheel well moldings.  These parts are hard to find in decent condition, since they are anodized aluminum, & dent and corrode easy etc
 The '73 & 74 had some difference in front control arm bushing diameters.  Rear ends were 10 bolt 8.5 inch ring gear types, ad some had Olds rears as well as Chevy.
  The '73 thru '75 had 9.5 inc rear drum brakes.  The '76 & '77 had 11 inch rear drums & 15 inch wheels to fit around the bigger drums.
 That's all I can think of right now....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:23 pm

JiMi_DRiX wrote:No no, I'm just using the Monte as reference. Some of the 73 Monte parts are 73 only.Then  74-75 are together, and 76-77 are together. I was wondering if the Camino shared a similar interchangeability between the years. Thank you for the info on the grille. I need to get a new grille/bracket, or a different year front end. The kid rear ended something and bent the grille in (thats why dad is selling the car, its too long for him to drive).

I'll be looking for some little parts soon too. One thing I remember, its missing the aluminum trim on the body of the body between the wheels. Rocker moldings.
You will probably end up with a '74 /'75 grille as they were made out of pot metal (16 lbs worth!) and didn't break very easily.  If you go that route i have a extra '74 grile.
I need schooled on El Caminos! IMG_20130615_122809_916_zpscb1272a1
here is what it looks like.  It is blasted and painted.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 am

pila wrote:I have owned a '73, a '76 SS, a new '77 Classic, and now have a '75 project ELCO.  Body sheet metal is the same for '73 thru '77.  Some early years have plastic inner front fenders.  The front fenders will accept all grilles, but like mentioned, the brackets are different for each type grille.  And all had two round head lamps thru '75.  The base models of '76 & '77 also had the two round head lamps, but I've seen only one like that. "76 &'77 Classics had the 4-lamp set up.
The interior is mostly the same, but the basic plain-jane models seem to have shorter rear door post plastic trim, and don't have other items that the Classics & SS models have. Not sure about the seat belts & harnesses on the '73 models. The SS models are nothing special but some came with gauges instead of the lights, and the usual body side stripes.  Seems like a lot of this stuff was options.  The instrument panels ( dash) is the same except for the gauge options, and if AC or not.
 The Classics had the rocker panel trim you mentioned, as well as wheel well moldings.  These parts are hard to find in decent condition, since they are anodized aluminum, & dent and corrode easy etc
 The '73 & 74 had some difference in front control arm bushing diameters.  Rear ends were 10 bolt 8.5 inch ring gear types, ad some had Olds rears as well as Chevy.
  The '73 thru '75 had 9.5 inc rear drum brakes.  The '76 & '77 had 11 inch rear drums & 15 inch wheels to fit around the bigger drums.
 That's all I can think of right now....

Thanks! The one I got is a Camino Custom. It has power locks, glass, courtesy lights, the body trim (sans the lower trim, missing) nicer gauge package, remote mirrors, 350 4bbl. Looks like I will need some new seat belts. the driver side is having a retracting problem, maybe I can fix it. The wheel well and rocker trim is the same for Camino and Chevelle, right?

dynchel wrote:
JiMi_DRiX wrote:No no, I'm just using the Monte as reference. Some of the 73 Monte parts are 73 only.Then  74-75 are together, and 76-77 are together. I was wondering if the Camino shared a similar interchangeability between the years. Thank you for the info on the grille. I need to get a new grille/bracket, or a different year front end. The kid rear ended something and bent the grille in (thats why dad is selling the car, its too long for him to drive).

You will probably end up with a '74 /'75 grille as they were made out of pot metal (16 lbs worth!) and didn't break very easily.  If you go that route i have a extra '74 grile.
I need schooled on El Caminos! IMG_20130615_122809_916_zpscb1272a1
here is what it looks like.  It is blasted and painted.

This 77 has a 75 grille on it, but its bent and broke. I need to bend out the bracket/hood latch a little bit. I will need a grille though. I love the blacked out center. PM me and let me know what you want for it, and how much shipping would be on that thing. I have a 74 Monte grille set that I need to sell and ship still, its heavy! So I know what you mean. I have some mechanical things to address first, but as a car guy, of course I have to make a "because I want to" shopping list too. I will make a proper post once I get the car home.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 am

The wheel well trim is the same on the front, and so are the front fenders, but the rear trim is different.  The Elcos are the same as a Chevelle coupe from the rear door posts to the front.  Doors are the same except for the glass window shapes.  Wheel base on the Elco is the same as a station wagon, which is what the floor pan is. The area under the cover in the front of the bed is where the rear seat would be in a wagon.  At least that's what seems to be how it's described.

The El Caminos are model 80. The base models are shown as model C-80, and the classics are shown as model D-80. The plate on the right cowl in front of the windshield will have the model on it. Not sure what the Custom plate shows.

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:36 am

If I decoded the VIN correctly, its as follows:

1 Chevrolet
D El Camino Custom
80 2DR
L 350 4bbl
7 1977
R Arlington, TX

Maybe you can help me with the trim tag?

I need schooled on El Caminos! 10005834_10203599444052556_1004947067_o
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:45 am

I think I have all the trim tag.

1977 - Camino Custom Delivery - Arlington - factory number
TR 64C (I dont know this one, but relates to the interior color?) A65 - bench seat w/arm rest  

72U 72L Means it was RED top and bottom? No two tone? It is currently red and white

04A April production?

040506 Accessory option code? Not sure what it means either.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:25 pm

"64C" is Light Buckskin interior. And yes, "72U/72L would indicate factory Red up and down.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:"64C" is Light Buckskin interior.  And yes, "72U/72L would indicate factory Red up and down.

Ok, great. That means the interior is still the original color. Do you know which red that is? The darker maroon or the bright red?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:25 pm

On the wheel well trim: Chevelle and Elkie are the same, but there is a differance in cars with the wide rocker trim and ones with no rocker trim. One is shorter than the other. Get Driveit to draw your car up with the rocker and wheelwell trim left off perminately. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:29 pm

QUOTE:
"Ok, great. That means the interior is still the original color. Do you know which red that is? The darker maroon or the bright red?"

Here is a pic of my factory Code 72 Red for reference. Not to be confused with Firethorn Red; which was a little darker.

I need schooled on El Caminos! Steve_10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:32 pm

That looks like it. How would they tag a two tone Camino? Technically the top and bottom are red, but the middle is white! Haha
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 pm

On your cowl plate, the 1AD80 (D80) is the model. If you plan on keeping the Elco, you might keep an eye on Ebay for a '77 Service manual. The '77 GMC Sprint is the same animal, so that manual is OK too.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 pm

pila wrote:On your cowl plate, the 1AD80 (D80) is the model.  If you plan on keeping the Elco, you might keep an eye on Ebay for a '77 Service manual.  The '77 GMC Sprint is the same animal, so that manual is OK too.

Yeah I will have to pick one up. Im trying to take in so much information all at once, my head might explode!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:27 am

When I started on my '75 Elco project, I bought the service manual, the Fisher Body manual, and a parts book.  The thing about having all three is that each has some bits of info that the others don't have.  None of these were expensive from Ebay.
 There's a place that handles manuals, that may be more expensive, called Faxon Auto Literature too.
 In regard to parts, this 3rd generation A body stuff is not a high priority for parts suppliers, although it's gradually getting better.
   I've bought a lot of parts  from thepartsplace.com. , like my windshield, gas tank, and other misc parts.  Good folks there.

I still have a few misc small parts around here that I'm not using.

My photobucket album has pics that may help to see an Elco apart Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:41 am

Thanks!

Well if you think your 3rd gen Camino doesnt get any love, you dont know what its like to own a Monte. lol. I've notice a bit more for the Camino, but definitely isnt much compared to the first two gens. I will check out your photobucket!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:52 am

JiMi_DRiX wrote:Well if you think your 3rd gen Camino doesnt get any love, you dont know what its like to own a Monte. lol.

AMEN!!!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:45 pm

I posted a link in the Freebie section for a PDF file of the Fisher Body manual for 1977. The manuals are fairly cheap right now on eBay, I got the Service Manual (ST329-77), Unit Repair Manual/Overhaul (ST333-77), and the Wiring Diagrams (ST359-77) for under $30 shipped.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:47 am

Thanks guys for all the help so far! Right now I really need a pair of seatbelts. The driver one jams, and the passenger one is half missing... great. Do any of the other A-body cars interchange? or is it Camino/Sprint only?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 am

I have a set of Malibu bench seat ones Tan in color ? Want them ? LOL
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 am

Are they the same as Camino? My guess, as I havent taken the panel off to look, is that the upper rear mount is the same, just bolts into a different location? That would help me in my search for belts if so.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:18 am

thatfnthing wrote:
JiMi_DRiX wrote:Well if you think your 3rd gen Camino doesnt get any love, you dont know what its like to own a Monte. lol.

AMEN!!!

I don't know guys, I think out of all the Chevy's (73-77) the Chevelle's are the least appreciated. Everybody I talk to loves the Monte's & Camino's. When you tell someone you're restoring one of these Chevelle's they look at you like, "Why"?

Hater's gonna hate (B@stards). LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 am

Jimi...the shoulder strap retractors are different (smaller) than the other "A" bodies.  You're going to have to find a set out of a Camino or Sprint.  I don't know of any around here with the buckskin color that I could pull for you.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next