G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just thought I would share....

+10
dynchel
BK-75
driveit
thatfnthing
Oldschool454
77mali
Mcarlo77
editguy
Wallyuph
chevellelaguna
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Just thought I would share.... Empty Just thought I would share....

Post by bitterfitter Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:29 pm

So I always prided myself on being a fairly intelligent person.  I try to do things correctly and I have yet to find a task in life I couldn't do.  From automotive to projects around the house, to things at work; I have always tried and accomplished random tasks that many would not attempt.
 My last car , a 1967 Cutlass Supreme conv. got a complete frame off resto. where I performed all work except the paint.  I did everything from the welding of the body to the full interior work to the new convertible top.  I hired my brothers friend to paint the car and it was the worst part of the car.  I drove that car for about 5 years but got bored with it so I sold it and started my latest car.
 This 1974 Malibu Classic needed alot of work but I thought I could do it.  It has the swivels seats, full gauges, power locks and windows.  I built a ZZ430 engine for it and reworked a 200r-4 trans.  I also redid a late model posi with disc brakes but it is not in the car yet.  So when it came time to do body work and paint, I decided to do it myself.
 This is were I am having troubles.  I wish I know not to use metallc Single Stage paint for my first attempt.  It has been very difficult to get the peces prepped and cleaned, then lay a good coat without runs or drips, and try to keep it clean with no crap in the paint as it dries.  To this point I have lacked in at least one pf these categories for almost every attempt.  I have some pieces done but the hood and one of the fenders has been a bear.  I either have crap in the paint or the metallic gets clumpy and I have to do it again. Barf 
 Please don't think I am giving up.  I will paint this car and I will have it looking right.  If I have to sand it all off and paint it 100 times.  Just a lesson for everyone reading this:  UNLESS YOU ARE AN ACCOMPLISHED PAINTER AND HAVE ACCESS TO A PROPER PAINT BOTH; STICK TO BASE/CLEAR PAINT OR SINGLE STAGE COLORS WITHOUT METALLIC!! Head Bang

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Just thought I would share.... Empty Re: Just thought I would share....

Post by thatfnthing Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:18 pm

I hear ya, especially the part about crap falling in the paint. That's by far my biggest problem -- I can get excellent results with a damned rattle can, but not two seconds later there's something stuck in it. This is why I'm going to farm it out, even though I prefer to do all my own work.

Keep at it, you'll get there!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks, that's kinda what I needed to hear.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:56 pm

We were able to get very acceptable results painting (my Oldsmobile metallic red)  in my home garage.  My good friend did the spraying (since he had a lot of experience) it does take a lot of preparation to get good results.  We closed the garage door 3/4 of the way down, had two box fans (to draw out the fumes) and wet down the floor to keep down dust.  A neat trick my dad taught me was to stuff old brake shoes behind all four tires (lining out) that way the hose doesn't get caught (and piss you off ) while you are painting.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:46 pm

I just came in from the garage to check out the parts I am having issues with.  The hood will be OK; if I look real hard in the sunlight, I can see a couple dark stripes from bad blending when I was laying down the paint.  I can see that I am putting it on too thick per coat.  I will give it a quick sand and another light coat to hide the dark lines.  As for the fender; it has fish eyes.  I found it hard to believe as no parts I have painted have had this problem.  Must of missed a few areas when I was wipping down.  I guess I have to sand this fender down and spray again.  Could be worse I guess.
 Has anyone tried painting the door jambs with the doors on the car?  I figured I would try as these doors are a bitch to get right.  I spent about 2 weeks getting mine just where I wanted them for a dry fit before painting.  It is a real Pain In The @** to get the paint everywhere it needs to be and look good.

I will get the hang of this painting yet.... Thumbs up

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:40 pm

I love when people are absolutely disgusted about how much it costs to have something painted. I think to myself...if it's that easy then go ahead and do it yourself! I have respect that you are attempting it at home, and I hope you get it ironed out. Keep
Practicing, be patient, don't give up. I guess I just take painting for granted...lol I wouldn't feel comfortable installing a convertible top though! I'd buy a car with a good convert top....and paint it!!
I've painted jambs both ways, you get a much better result with the doors off. I normally do all the jambs and cut in work first, then hang all the sheetmetal, and back tape everything. Get no overspray on anything, and it looks cleaner... Otherwise it just looks like you hosed the paint in there, it'll eventually peel off. Then it looks like total crap.

Last edited by chevellelaguna on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:32 am

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to end up pulling the doors and do it right. I also agree about people wanting great workmanship for nothing. Just to be clear; it is not the cost that led me to pick up the paint gun. This is something I always wanted to learn to do and i hate to give up. I want to be able to proudly say " I painted the car" when someone asks.
Something's in life come easy to me and something's I have to work at. For the most part I have to say the parts I have finished already look really nice. I just needed to gather my thoughts on what I was into and continue on. I hope this May help the next guy thinking about spraying his car himself.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:28 am

There's a story about a woman who takes her car to a mechanic because it won't start. He looks at it for a couple minutes, gets out a hammer, and taps the motor in a particular spot. "Try it now," he says.
The car starts with no trouble, so the mechanic says, that'll be a hundred dollars."
The woman complains, "A hundred dollars?! All you did was tap it!"
The mechanic replies, "It's only $10.00 for the tap. It's $90.00 for knowing where to tap."

I always loved that story, as it perfectly illustrates that there's skills required in everything -- in some cases, mad skills. A lot of times people don't understand why a particular service is so expensive, usually because they've never tried it themselves. Painting a car is one of those things -- not only do the materials and the tools cost a metric a$$load of money, but there's a hell of a lot of time and effort spent learning how to to do it right, or all the expensive materials have been wasted. I know enough to know that I don't know enough, so unless I was going to be painting a lot of cars (which I'm not), it's a lot more cost and time effective to have someone do it than to develop those skills. So when the guy quoted me $3500 -$4000 for it, I was just relieved it wasn't higher. Smile

I give Mike huge props for tackling it himself.

Last edited by thatfnthing on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:35 am

Point we'll taken. I would like to know where to tap the hammer when it comes to painting. My first passion is building engines. I would like to feel comfortable painting vehicles when I all said and done. I hate to get beaten by any project I start.
I have a feeling this won't be the last car I redo.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:45 am

bitterfitter wrote:I hate to get beaten by any project I start.

And that's what's going to get you through. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:54 am

I really do appreciate all the things brought up on this post. Please don't think I am some sort of know it all. I frequently am telling the guys at work about the troubles I am having with the projects I under take. If at any time, anyone on here needs to hear about what issues I had doing any job just ask. I would hate for you to make the same mistakes I have.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Just a thought but my plan when the time comes is to build a temporary paint shop in the yard.  Something out of 2x4's & also laying some 4 mil polyethylene film on the grass & stapling it to walls & ceiling too.  I have a nice little industrial fan that will be incorporated into the ceiling that will serve to clear out dust & get the extra paint & fumes out.  I'm at least hoping to keep the bugs. leaves & other debris from messing things up. I really don't care if the paint is "perfect".  It's very true though that paint is not easy to do "perfectly".  If that's what anyone is looking for I would also advise to have it done by a pro & preferably one that has some "seasoning" and has been doing it for a good while.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm

The house I bought never had a garage so about three years ago I designed one for working on cars and had it built about 250 feet behind the house. I included in floor heat and a nice large door. I have half of it setup for painting now with plastic from floor to ceiling and covering the floor.
 I still have to add an addition of the back to keep my tractor in. I had thought about using this addition as a spray booth and store the tractor there when not in use.  Maybe next year I will get to that area.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:27 pm

I have respect for any one that tries to do some thing them selves. When it comes to painting I am self taught and a lot of trial and error. I use my garage to paint in and I hang plastic up all around. I use a row of filters for the fresh air intake
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_2710" />

I then run a large barn fan out the window for exhaust.
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_2711" /> Advise here is to use about 4' of cardboard box like a plentum going out the window so no over spray get all over you outside walls. I use more plastic around the fan to the card baord like duct tubing for this.

here is the box pulled back almost into shop.
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_2712" />

Then I can push it back out when spraying.

As for single stage I find it way less for giving than base/clear coat and with the clear coat you can sand runs. bugs and some dirt out and buff it so for me its the only way to go.

A lot of new painter like to flood the paint on. A old school body guy said to me ounce thin to win. and that phrase I still think of every time I pick up a spray gun or rattle can.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Wish I thought more about the paint type before I started to paint. I would have gone Bc/cc. I really like you setup for painting.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Well you still can. Just buzz it down and start over. Thats what I have done.

Paint cans than are over 1/2 full from other projects like the house paint work well behind and in front of tire so hose does not get stuck too.

You will still get some dust but with clear you can sand it out easy.
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_2715" />

Just thought I would share.... Img_2714

I had jammed the doors and the door frame before I started the candy paint job. I have done them both ways. It is hard to get the paint on nice in the hinge area but it can be done.

Here It is sanding clear for dust bugs and what ever else you get I did not have any runs (this time) and then  buffed out.  
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_2716" />

After sanding a buffing.
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_4510" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:02 pm

WOW!! Very nice job. I do not think I could at this point bring myself to sand off all the paint down to primer and start over. Maybe sand everything like if I had to recoat after it dried but not totally start over. If I did not have one nice looking piece to show then I would consider it; but I have the taillight surrounds, headlight buckets, header piece, mirrors, skyroof completely done. I have maybe another coat or two on the hood, trunk lid and front fender and they will be done. Then just trim the drivers jamb and finish the car and doors. I gotta be 1/2 way there by now.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm

was this a color change on the car in the photos? I am wondering what you did in areas like the trunk lip and the front inner fenders? It looks like you still have the glass in the car also, correct? That must be easier to mask with the glass to support the paper. I have to say it again WOW!! Nice Job

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Yes it was a total color change it was originally a dark green and it was in rough shape new floors new qtrs patched fenders and made my own inner rear wheels. As for glass the only glass in the car was the windshield and it was just sitting there as a masking paper support. we had a new windshield waiting to go in. The triangle windows were card board and the rear window was card board also.  

Its hard to see in photo but look inside and you can tell its got two 2" tape for support and then card board over the tape for masking off. This way the paint gets down good for back glass seal.
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_2717" />
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_2718" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Awesome ideas. This is what this post is all about.  Beer 

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:27 pm

I love that color! What color did you do the interior?

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Light buck skin tan leather
Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_7114" />

Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_7115" />

Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_7116" />

Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_7117" />

Just thought I would share.... <a href=Just thought I would share.... Img_7118" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:42 pm

bitterfitter wrote:
 Has anyone tried painting the door jambs with the doors on the car?  I figured I would try as these doors are a bitch to get right.  I spent about 2 weeks getting mine just where I wanted them for a dry fit before painting.  It is a real Pain In The @** to get the paint everywhere it needs to be and look good.

I will get the hang of this painting yet.... Thumbs up

First props on the painting.

Regarding your doors, I haven't done this myself but heard and seen the results.

drill a small hole in each hinge, going through the part that contacts the body so you can use those two holes as pilot wholes when you go to reinstall the doors. It will put the door in the exact same spot.

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:45 pm

I think I will do just that. Thank you so much. I never would have thought of that.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Glad to help.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next