G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just thought I would share....

+10
dynchel
BK-75
driveit
thatfnthing
Oldschool454
77mali
Mcarlo77
editguy
Wallyuph
chevellelaguna
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Just thought I would share.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Just thought I would share....

Post by editguy Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:29 am

Long time bodyman/painter and automotive teacher here. One thing to keep in mind with metallic is the settings at your paint gun. If your gun is set correctly, you should have the metallic evenly dispersed. Do your adjustments on a big piece of cardboard or scrap of sheet metal. Also, sometimes (if you're doing BC/CC) if you see that you have some "streaks" before you start clear coating, hold the gun a little farther away and "mist" the paint on. That will usually do the trick. I also believe the original poster came to the correct decision - don't do a metallic for your first paint job. Get some experience with solid colors and then move on. There's a reason why shops have to charge the prices that they do.

editguy
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Just thought I would share.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Just thought I would share....

Post by bitterfitter Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:00 am

I could not agree more. I have made progress since I posted last. The car is now painted and looks pretty nice. I ended up spraying it Sunday because the weather sucked and I needed to get it done before the snow flies.
Being stubborn I left the doors on and used a small detail gun to get in there. It wasn't fun but it worked. I just have to spray another coat on the front fenders and everything will be done.
I will get some pictures posted soon. Now I need to decide on either a white top or black top for the vinyl roof. I car is a dark blue. Almost black in the shade.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:31 am

Great! When do I get to see it?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:37 am

Not soon enough. I was supposed to get ahold of you this spring to discuss our cars. Where has the time gone. We still have to meet up.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am

I have always loved a black top!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am

Can't go wrong with a black top if you're going with vinyl. It's a nice accent color with dark blue...and, not so pronounced as a white top. My '67 Cougar XR7 is a Med. Blue w/black vinyl and looks good IMO.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 pm

I used a single stage paint (original silver color) on my car and painted it in my 2 car garage with a 25 gal harbor freight compressor and 20+ year old siphone spray gun and got decent results. All in all I forked out about 225 bucks for the whole paintjob, materials and all. And I'm by NO means a good painter but I know the basics. I had couple spots that got little specs of debris in paint. I just posted some pics of it in a different thread a couple weeks ago. Props to you for not giving up though! It is tough working out of a garage.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:44 pm

Sounds like a couple votes for the black top. Anyone else......

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Just thought I would share.... - Page 2 IMG_20130615_122809_916_zpscb1272a1
Black would probably be a better choice, but I'm partial to white over blue.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:53 pm

One more for black...
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:21 pm

X2 on the black top w/ a dark blue (or medium blue). White ones go nice with a light or baby blue. My $0.02
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:37 pm

I'm going to go with the practical angle. I like both, and the white would give a better contrast with dark blue, but white is a damned bear to keep clean. The least amount of dirt will make it look dingy. Go with the black for less headaches.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Sounds like I will be ordering the black vinyl top.

While we are talking about this; I need some help. I know our cars came with the single seam down the middle. I have seen a couple with the double seam and I would like to know where to get one. I have the skyroof option and think the seam down the middle will look crappy. I have a picture of a skyroof car with the double seam and it seams a lot nicer. Any ideas on what to do?

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Try these guys out for starters they have the double seam tops.  They can most likely make you one if you don't see it in their product offering.  My Malibu was built a full vinyl top car (not a Landau).  The full tops for 76/77 were "Levant" grain.  IDK if earlier years were the same or not or if the vinyl for Landau was different in any given year.  

I seem to remember my 77 Cutlass (baby blue w/ white Landau top) was an "Elk" pattern I think, which is not nearly as rough a grain as the Levant.

http://www.perfectfit.com/24782/154122/Auto-Vinyl-Tops/Landau-Vinyl-Roof-Covers.html
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks for the link. I have sent them my info and I am waiting by the computer.
Once the top is on and glass are in, it will look like a car again.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 pm

No prob. Good luck with it.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Just thought I would share.... - Page 2 673DD07A-0236-46B4-BA01-0C7DE0C72164
Just thought I would share.... - Page 2 A2D2F6F4-606D-4AE8-AEA0-3ED0293A01C0_1
Here are a couple quick pictures.  Fender out drying in the sun and the trunk lid resting indoors. Here you can see the color in the sunlight and indoors with little light.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:15 pm

I love that color. What is it called again?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:18 pm

It is called Moonlight Drive. I bought it from Eastwood. I have also seen it available through TC Global online.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Looks great! Gets my vote.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks guys. I'll post some more when I get a chance. Every time I look at it in a different light it looks a little different. Direct on in the sun it looks more blue. The less light, the darker it gets. I can't wait to get the car assembled.
I am still working out details about the vinyl top. But I am going to go with black. It seems there are many grains and sheens to choose from.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:03 am

Wow. I'm usually a fan of bright / intense colours but I like this a lot.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:05 am

Wait till I post a shot of how blue it looks in the sun. It is very blue. I am glad I stuck with this color even after the initial problems I had.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:36 am

I remember this. It was the one that looked purple to begin with, right?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 am

Correct. I ended up getting another gallon swapped out. The first can, no matter how much I mixed it, had a reddish tint to it. This can looks just like the color you see even before the paint shaker. It was a shame to have to reshoot all the parts I started with. I am happy I did though.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next