G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'77 Monte Bench Seat Question?

2 posters

Go down

'77 Monte Bench Seat Question? Empty '77 Monte Bench Seat Question?

Post by BAS-Sr Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:52 pm

I just pulled apart a '77 Monte Carlo Landau and it has a real nice white interior with a bench seat (6 way power).

When I pulled the rear side panels off, behind the passenger side was the build sheet. For the bench seat it has RPO A52 (RPO before that is A42 for the 6 way power). These seats are very nice, wondering if they are real leather or not? Could be a "PLEATHER", anyone know what they put in these?

Also, it has UM2 for the radio which reads "RADIO AMFM&TP". Is UM2 the AM/FM with 8 Track? Reason I ask is all I pulled out of it was an AM/FM Stereo, no 8 Track.

Let me know please.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

'77 Monte Bench Seat Question? Empty Re: '77 Monte Bench Seat Question?

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Leather was not used in these cars.  Some describe it as such when they are selling...but, they all came with vinyl.

The UM2 RPO code does, in fact, call out an AM/FM/8-track player.  My '77 Build Sheet confirms this for my all-original Monte that has this same radio option. Somebody must have swapped that one you found.

Am curious...how did the interior plastic hold up?  White is usually the first to dry rot.  If you're parting this car and selling pcs, let me know.  Just had a guy asking about white trim parts.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Leather was not used in these cars.  Some describe it as such when they are selling...but, they all came with vinyl.

The UM2 RPO code does, in fact, call out an AM/FM/8-track player.  My '77 Build Sheet confirms this for my all-original Monte that has this same radio option.  Somebody must have swapped that one you found.

Am curious...how did the interior plastic hold up?  White is usually the first to dry rot.  If you're parting this car and selling pcs, let me know.  Just had a guy asking about white trim parts.

Does the UMX (1 or 2) always have the external power cooler? Maybe I missed that this is an 8 Track? Have to look at it closer.

The interior plastic is pretty good. A pillars both had rot holes, but in general very little dry rot. The seats are in great shape.

I am piecing it out, so if anyone needs any parts from the interior, let me know.

BTW, the dash pad is used! That is the reason I picked the car up, dash pad was immaculate, dyed it black for the '75 el Camino, looks great in it! :-)
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:49 pm

The "external power cooler" as you call it is referred to as a convector.  I have read on other forums that these were used to enhance the FM signal.  However, I have an AM/8-track radio (no FM) I pulled from a '74 Grand Prix and it has the convector attached.  Oddly, it is an AM Stereo/8-track player. I also know from pulling a number of factory radios that this is the only AM radio I've seen that had the convector.  Also, not every AM/FM/8-track radio came with them.  So, based on that, I can say both AM & AM/FM 8-track radios came with convectors...although, I have no clear idea exactly what function they served.  Maybe it has something to do with the "Stereo" effect. BTW, I've never had the occasion to look under the dash or behind the glove box to see if my car has one or not.  

This friend of mine looking for white interior plastic needs the upper windshield and back window trims...as well as the ones above the door glass.  BUT, they must be nice and not showing dryness and crumbling along edges for him to be interested.  Otherwise, he'll just paint some others he has.  The fact that the "A" pillars have dry rot holes makes me question how solid these other pcs are.  Also, are they yellowed?  Let me know.  Thanks.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 am

From what I read years ago, those radios that have the external attachment was due to the amount of power they required, thus the external cooling via the aluminum finned attachment. I always thought these were for only the AM/FM 8 Tracks but recently found this same setup with a AM 8 Track. The radio I pulled out of this '77 did NOT have the external power cooler, so I assumed it was not an 8 track, have to look at it closer.

If your you would like to put your friend who is looking for white interior parts wants to contact me, give him my direct email: PaceCarNut@OptOnline.Net

Bruce
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:33 pm

This is the best explanation for what function the convector serves that I have found. Courtesy of the Nat'l. Corvette Restorers Society forum:

http://www.ncrs.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-75496.html
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:45 pm

Yes, it is a convector. Somewhere years ago, I was also told that this was designed this way to dissipate the heat from the extra heat produced in powering the speakers.

Anyway, I checked the radio I pulled out and it is definitely not the AM/FM 8 Track as shown on the build sheet. Like you said, must have been swapped out somewhere along the line. The AM/FM Stereo plays very nicely, has the original rear 6x9 and front 4" dual 10 ohm speakers.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum