G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear view mirror

3 posters

Go down

rear view mirror Empty rear view mirror

Post by driveit Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:46 pm

I get off work last night and climb into my dark car and stomp on something in the floor. I pick it up and guess what it is. I have already ditched the heavy original one in favor of a much lighter plastic one that looks similar. I held longer, but a few months is all I seem to get before another mirror falls off. ugh...
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

rear view mirror Empty Re: rear view mirror

Post by dynchel Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Are you remounting it with a proper remount kit & following the directions?  I've remounted several mirrors and never had one (remounted that is) fall off a second time.  Also not sure what you mean about "heavy" original???  Unless mines not OE, it is pretty light.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:50 pm

Compared to the one I have now the original was heavy. I followed the instructions. I think that it may be due to the heat in the car. No insulation or headliner in the roof, same for the floor so that along with the sun glaring in right on it through the glass. Maybe not. I was using a kit from the parts store, then the last time I got one that I was told was a GM kit. I was told it was better by the salesman. It was higher if I remember correctly. I followed the instructions every time and cleaned the glass just as it said with the stuff that it came with. I guess this last one lasted longer than I thought. It was almost a year now. Didn't seem like it had been that long.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Yeah wow the one I put on 20 years ago is still on the windshield! That sucks, maybe got a bad batch of rear view adhesive. Dunno. I have a friend that does everything with glass, primarily a windshield installer, but he does a lot of custom stuff, furniture, etching, beveled glass, cut glass, custom fit windshields, flush mounts etc. I'll talk with him about any pointers/tips he may have. Been doing it for 35 years.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member