G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

colouring seat belts

3 posters

Go down

colouring seat belts Empty colouring seat belts

Post by Dinomyte Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:44 am

Has anyone done this?

If so what would you recommend?

I may have found a set of burgundy belts for my buckets, but need/want them either tan or black.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

colouring seat belts Empty Re: colouring seat belts

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I've re-dyed black ones...but, stayed with same color.  If I don't sell a pair of light blue ones soon, I'm going to try changing those to black.

Here's what I've learned:  Use an acid-based dye like what is sold by a company called Jacquard.  Found them online and they specialize in various dyes for various materials.  It's their part #639 (Jet Black).  The acid is nothing more than white vinegar that's added to the boiling water and powdered dye.  You bring a pan of water up to around 180-190 degrees and submerse the webbing for around 20-30 mins. while stirring occasionally.  Pretty easy...but, beware of possible splashes and drips onto surrounding surfaces that need to be wiped up immediately.  Anyway, the net effect, once they dry, is pretty good.  Dye doesn't seem to rub off.  I do notice the webbing looses it's "slippery" feel and the appearance is a little duller than new belts; presumably from the heated water melting away whatever plasticizer is on them?  I just wiped my set that's in the Laguna down with Armor All to bring back some of the luster.  Have no idea the long-term wearablility, yet.  

I got some blow-back on here stating this process made the belts weaker.  I'm not denying that it does, but no way to know for sure to what extent...if at all.  Besides, I only did the shoulder strap section that is always exposed and faded.  I still feel it's a viable option to spending several hundred dollars to have them re-webbed; although don't expect them to have the same "like new" appearance as factory belts.  But, I repeat...I don't know how successful changing colors will be.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks Mcarlo77 - I know that everything is at my risk. I was wanting to know if there was something out there. I did find the other thread after more searching, I guess dye vs paint makes a difference in the search Smile

I wanted to know before I consider buying them if they were worth it.

Did you have to remove the belt from the retractor? Or did you just fully extend the belts and hang the retractor out of the pot.

I did a quick google search as to how hot cars get with the windows up in the sun, ( with the air off ) and the info I found said about 190F, now that was for the dash pad and the steering wheel but I'm sure that's close to what everything else is heated to, so I'm not too worried about stressing the belts and making them less than safe.

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:17 pm

For what it's worth, I spotted a set of black swivel bucket retractor belts in a '74 H/O yesterday at a yard I often visit. Same problem, though...the exposed shoulder strap section was badly faded. Chrome buckle end had some small rust spots on them, too. Think those could be mostly cleaned off with a good buffing. If interested, I could call and ask what they'd want for them. If you do decide to go with the maroon ones, I think you'd have a better chance of changing the color to black as opposed to tan.

Regarding my dying the belts...what I did was clamp off the section of shoulder strap I wanted to dye and immersed that in the water while just letting the retractors sit on the stove alongside the pot. Not quite sure what technique I'd use if I was doing the entire belt. But, I do know I wouldn't bother with disassembling the webbing from the retractor. Maybe get as close as possible with immersing and then spoon the dye over the last 6" or so. Besides, who's going to see that last 6" of webbing, anyway?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Dinomyte wrote:Has anyone done this?

If so what would you recommend?

I may have found a set of burgundy belts for my buckets, but need/want them either tan or black.

Hope this latest bit of information isn't too late for you when considering purchasing those burgundy belts and dying them. As I stated, I had zero interest in a pair of light blue ones I had on e-Bay and today, decided I'd try and dye them black. Results were not good. They turned out kind of a gray color with a hint of the light blue. In other words, very little black dye was absorbed. I even soaked them for an additional 1/2 hr. I had just done a set of black ones and they turned out great! Lesson seems to be you only stand a chance of this method of dying providing satisfactory results if you stay with the same color as the original belt color. Guess it kind of confirms my original skepticism that the vinyl or plastic fibers in these belts are not able to absorb an adequate amount of dye to change colors.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:53 pm

That is good information. The burgundy belts were the one and only pair this guy had, but he never mentioned having a Laguna he was "going" to restore till we met up. BUT I did get a pair of second generation Camaro front belts. They will bolt into the roof with no mods, the receiver is long enough to buckle with the console in place. They work well enough for a guy of my size who pushes the seat back. So in short for now, you must be at least 5' 10" to drive the car Smile. Did I mention they were tan like the rest of my interior.

I'm still looking for a set, and I've talked to the local shoe repair place who said they were more than happy to sew, especially if I had a template for them to go by, also committed to it the price would be less than $50 to redo the two front belts, as the receivers wouldn't need anything. Not to mention seat belt webbing can be had here for about $0.50 / foot, sold by the foot (not the role) in tan too!
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 pm

If you're able to get the straps replaced locally for under $50, maybe you'd be interested in these blue ones I just tried to dye. Aren't much good for anything as they sit now that the straps are discolored. Could paint the plastic covers tan or black, put new straps on them and you're good to go.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:If you're able to get the straps replaced locally for under $50, maybe you'd be interested in these blue ones I just tried to dye.  Aren't much good for anything as they sit now that the straps are discolored.  Could paint the plastic covers tan or black, put new straps on them and you're good to go.

Got a picture and a price? I'm interested. PM me with the details please.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:05 pm

I bought new webbing for my Malibu, and took the hardware apart. The new webbing was sewed by a shoe repair place that had the sewing machine & thread to handle it.
Taking the retract mechanism apart opens a new can of worms though. A friend re-assembled that stuff for me. ( he likes a challenge Very Happy )

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Was curious if anybody on here had any experience disassembling/reassembling the retractors so the webbing could be replaced. I have vague recollection of trying it some years ago...but, think I gave up during the reassembly phase. Maybe it's time to research this and give it another shot...
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down