G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"75 Cruise Control

3 posters

Go down

"75 Cruise Control Empty "75 Cruise Control

Post by BAS-Sr Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:09 pm

OK, so my '75 SS el Camino has the factory installed cruise control. Tried to get some help on other forums, but not successful.

Does not seem to work, all seems to look as if it should, vacuum lines in place, speedometer works fine. I even changed the cruise unit out to one that I know works.

I am not sure where to start diagnosing it? From what I remember these did not work below ~40 mph, only for speeds above that.

Anyone know where I can find a "functional" diagram of the system? That would give me a place to start looking at what is not working. I have an electrical diagram, but missing some key "functional" aspects, so hoping someone here can help.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

"75 Cruise Control Empty Re: "75 Cruise Control

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:29 pm

I take it you don't have a service manual, there's a whole section about how to operate the cruise master system, how to adjust it and how to trouble shoot it. Section 12 in the accessories section
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I just started installing the cruise components on my '75 Laguna.  The electrical is pretty simple.  Here's a photo of my harness.  You've got the flat wire (on bottom half of strg column) from the Cruise/Turn Signal stalk that plugs into a three-wire harness connector on the main harness that runs out thru the firewall.  There is a pink plug for the fuse box, a pink-red plug that goes to your brake switch and a plug on the engine side that goes to the Cruise Regulator.  That's about it.  Is your vacuum dump switch on the brake pedal adjusted correctly?  Linkage to carb attached correctly?  Servo holding vacuum?  If all that checks out, it can only be the Cruise Regulator or the Cruise switch on the strg column stalk (assuming you have power to the harness).

"75 Cruise Control Cruise10

I do have a favor to ask.  The system I'm installing was from the '76 Laguna I parted.  This '75 doesn't have the mtg holes drilled in the inner fender for the Vacuum Servo.  Could you send me a photo of exactly where that's supposed to sit?  Also, I had forgotten to grab the bracket at back of the carb that holds the Cruise cable.  Can you take a photo of that as well?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:44 am

chevellelaguna wrote:I take it you don't have a service manual, there's a whole section about how to operate the cruise master system, how to adjust it and how to trouble shoot it. Section 12 in the accessories section

Which Service Manual did you find that in?

I have the 1975 CHEVROLET PASSENGER CAR CHASSIS SERVICE AND OVERHAUL MANUAL SUPPLEMENT and the 1975 FISHER BODY SERVICE MANUAL, but in neither in Section 12 do I see anything about Cruise?

BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:49 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:I just started installing the cruise components on my '75 Laguna.  The electrical is pretty simple.  Here's a photo of my harness.  You've got the flat wire (on bottom half of strg column) from the Cruise/Turn Signal stalk that plugs into a three-wire harness connector on the main harness that runs out thru the firewall.  There is a pink plug for the fuse box, a pink-red plug that goes to your brake switch and a plug on the engine side that goes to the Cruise Regulator.  That's about it.  Is your vacuum dump switch on the brake pedal adjusted correctly?  Linkage to carb attached correctly?  Servo holding vacuum?  If all that checks out, it can only be the Cruise Regulator or the Cruise switch on the strg column stalk (assuming you have power to the harness).

I do have a favor to ask.  The system I'm installing was from the '76 Laguna I parted.  This '75 doesn't have the mtg holes drilled in the inner fender for the Vacuum Servo.  Could you send me a photo of exactly where that's supposed to sit?  Also, I had forgotten to grab the bracket at back of the carb that holds the Cruise cable.  Can you take a photo of that as well?

I got the electrical parts. all the connections are good. I was wonder if the brake switch might be incorrectly adjusted or bad?

I will definitely take some pictures of the vacuum servo and the carb bracket. I might even have the carb bracket from the '75 Monte I pulled the cruise off and sold. Have to look.

I won't be able to take the pic's until over the weekend. Send me a PM with your email and I send the pic's to you (still have not found a way on this site to post pic's other than using something like Photobucket).

Bruce
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down