G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welders?

+3
Joe73
dynchel
chevellelaguna
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Welders? Empty Welders?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:51 am

After years of whining, I'm going to try it myself.

I know NOTHING. Any advice on the type of welder to get for minor tinkering and teaching myself how to do it. First project will probably be building and welding in some brackets to mount swivels and console sometime this winter. Plan to find some scrap to practice on before hand.

I was looking at the little $99 little wire welder from good ol Harbor freight.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Welders? Empty Re: Welders?

Post by dynchel Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:38 am

A mig with shielding gas (argon) is the easiest to learn on.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:36 pm

And then hit harbor freight with a 20% coupon. But definitely go with the argon shielding gas. You'll have to buy a bottle and have it filled. The harbor freight welding cart with wheels is also decent. And it leaves space for a plasma cutter on the bottom shelf!!
Dont bother with the flux cored wire for the mig. It works, but you can have any breeze or anything. Argon is the better way to go.

Welders? 2n6w5xi
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Be mindful whether it's 110 or 220 volts, not sure if you have easy access to a220 volt plug. I have several mig welders, it's nice having a 110 volt machine can load it up in the car and take it anywhere. I would look for a used one on craigslist in your area. Absolutely go with shielded gas. Much easier, less frustrating for a first time inexterienced person. The more you practice the better you'll get.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Recommendations on brand or type of shielded MIG? I only have 110 in the garage.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Nice welder Joe, my wife works at Lincoln electronic, building welders.  I have lincoln welder (obviously) it runs on 110, and does just fine.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Confusion...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQjBAwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eastwood.com%2Fwelders%2Fmig-welders.html&ei=ICVyVNu6G43qoASO-4CoBQ&usg=AFQjCNHXX3mG7XknauMeDgMfLVkljkaK-g&sig2=calLKKVntdGzWzizA4JJcg
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:17 pm

I have the same one as joe. I dont know what the hell im doing though so im no help. I need to get the argon kit that adapts it to my welder. The holes are there nut i never bought the tank
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:30 pm

I've done (3) pairs of quarters and (2) sets of floorboards over the years with that welder. Not to mention a couple patch panels and treestands. I still love my arc welder though.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Check your local community education at trade schools, community colleges, etc. You will likely find a welding class available that will teach you the basics and show you proper technique and differences between types of welding/welders, and you can get practice time in before taking the torch to your own car. I took one way back when and actually dragged my car in and welded the quarter skins on. Planning on taking a refresher at some point.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Yeah, checked into those...700 smackers. Figure I can buy the welder and some scrap fro less than that, then set myself on fire. I've got a friend that can probably show me what to get and what to do, but he's 12 hours a day, 6 days a week at Ford at the moment.

I looked for the welder Joe and Ant were talking  about and Lincoln apparently no longer makes that model.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:51 pm

$700.00?  Wow! It only cost me $60.00 through local community ed.  Granted that was a while back, but it would surprise me that it's skyrocketed that much.  If that's the the case, though, you're right -- better off to do some research on the interwebs, buy a unit and some scrap, and get practicing.  And the guys are right on the gas-shielded -- the flux-core stuff throws a lot of slag around that you will have to grind off.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:54 pm

That was the cheap course. The longer class was closer to 1000. It looked like a great course, but you are buying the materials, paying the instructor etc. Of course that's the local adult ed. Comm College forty mile from here might be cheaper, didn't check

Looks like the newer version of Joe's welder is the Lincoln 140.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 pm

A quick look around our area shows that there appears to be a difference between career or vocational welding courses, which are in the neighborhood you described, and 'recreational welding' courses, which only run about $150.00.  I'm thinking the latter is the one that applies here, but there seems to be fewer of those. Neutral
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Probably.

I looked into it last year shortly after I retired. Had the time but the price was silly. I just assumed they were all about the same.

You've inspired me to dig a little.

I think i found a Lincoln 140 close to me with all of the accessories for 600.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Another "accessory" that is a must have IMHO is a auto darkening helmet.  Once you use one you will never want to be without it.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:11 pm

This guy has the cart, jacket, gloves and  kobalt AD helmet,extra wire, gas gauges, magnets, chipping hammer
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:45 pm

dynchel wrote:Another "accessory" that is a must have IMHO is a auto darkening helmet.  Once you use one you will never want to be without it.

And I have to say that the harbor freight auto darkening for $40 on sale works well too. I've had mine for years and still works good. Mines solar charged so no batteries to add.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:07 pm

I think mine was around 250 bucks 12 years ago. I really could practice with it and probably get good but i cant do it inside and its starting to get too cold out. Making excuses though.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Yeah definatly need the auto darken helmet. Mine works good too.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:08 pm

It was too cold up there in September for me bro.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:12 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:It was too cold up there in September for me bro.

Haha! Me and Joe are about 15 miles away from each other we both are stuck inside till April.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:14 pm

I feel bad for ya. We complain about a few inches.

I went to a school with a guy from your neck o the woods. His roomy was from Houston. You shoulda seen the fights over the thermostat.

Hang in man.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:15 pm

When hunting season ends the third week in december, then I'll be inside. But only until there's enough ice to go ice fishing.
Still have plenty of wood to split as well.

But looking forward to doing a teardown and rebuild of my original muncie trans over the winter.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:19 pm

Hey Joe good for you . Make good use of the time. Maybe I gotta think of a winter project on my cars. Still hate the damn winter though.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: