G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summit Carb/Intake Manifold Pro Packs

+5
Ramfett
ant7377
Hawk03
pila
bracketchev1221
9 posters

Go down

Summit Carb/Intake Manifold Pro Packs Empty Summit Carb/Intake Manifold Pro Packs

Post by Ramfett Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi, everyone. I need some advice.

This coming spring, I'm looking to replace the stock 2 barrel carb and rusted, leaky intake manifold on the 350 in my '75 Monte. I'm not looking for huge horsepower, just a nicer setup for street use.

I was shopping around for potential replacements and found that Summit makes 4 barrel carb/intake manifold kits like these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-03-0193/overview/

I have a few questions before I buy...
Does anybody have experience with the Summit parts and are they decent or should I buy one of their kits that include brand name components (holley carb/edelbrock manifold)?

Is there anything else I may need to swap out a 2 barrel for what comes in the kit? I'm wondering if the throttle cable and various lines going to the carb will need to be changed or if I can use what's already there. It also sounds like a carb spacer may be needed for fuel lines to clear heater hoses?

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated!
Ramfett
Ramfett
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Summit Carb/Intake Manifold Pro Packs Empty Re: Summit Carb/Intake Manifold Pro Packs

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:28 am

I have no experience with those carburetors. They are a Holley 4010 series now sold under the Summit line. They never took off with popularity under the Holley line. The intake manifold looks like a good choice. For a stock setup, I would use the Edelbrock Performer EPS intake, and as best as I can see from the pictures that appears to be a copy of that intake. For the carburetor, I would look at a simple Holley 80457 carb.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Summit Carb/Intake Manifold Pro Packs Empty Re: Summit Carb/Intake Manifold Pro Packs

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:39 am

I bought an Edelbrock intake, not too impressed with the quality- although I bought an unfinished aluminum & not one of the more expensive polished or coated versions.  It was prone to oxidation, so I coated it with Por15 & painted with Duplicolor engine paint.  For the price of all that stuff in the kit you're looking at I don't think you can go wrong.  I think I paid $180 for the "brand name" intake alone.  

You may also need an adapter for your throttle cable and or trans cable, I know Holly sells them and the carb in your kit looks like it's built on that style platform.  Summit will prob have something for that & they are cheap enough.  

Good luck w/ the swap- make sure you use enough sealant in the front & back of the intake- there's a couple of areas (front & rear) where the intake meets the heads that you need to pay attention too so you don't leak oil.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:24 am

Looks like a nice kit, the intake is a cheap made in China version. Just a copy of an Edelbrock Performer. Those Chinese castings usually have issues around the thermostat housing, corrosion. Substandard casting, and material. For the price of the kit it's a good upgrade from what you have.
You'll need a new thermostat housing and gasket, those things are generally warped. Your two barrel trans kick down cable won't work with the Holley 4bbl linkage, the slot and cable travel isn't long enough. You'll need a 4bbl kick down cable. You'll have to modify your throttle cable, and bracket. There isn't enough travel for a 4bbl carb. Just a matter of making sure you have wide open action when the gas pedal is floored. You'll need some carb retun springs and a bracket for those. Will
Need some fittings for your heater hoses to connect to, the old ones are a bear to get out without a torch to heat up the manifold, if reusing your fittings get them out first!(while manifold is bolted to the block) you'll need some engine antifreeze, gonna loose some when you drain the system. Should do an oil change after the swap, going to get gasket debris and coolant in the passages. Need some sort of gasket scaper, stuff rags into the head intake and exhaust openings. Make sure you have a good distributor to manifold gasket, otherwise you'll leak oil out the back. The gasket usually sticks to the distributor, not always though.
A 4bbl will be a great upgrade!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:11 am

that's the Same carb I just got with my 355 motor, it is a good carb Just Summit branded Summit Carb/Intake Manifold Pro Packs 00000014
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:41 pm

My '74 Malibu had a 2 bbl carb when I bought in 1990. When I went to a 4bbl, which was an engine change to the 408, I found that the throttle cable for the 2 bbl was too short. The local dealer checked around the country to find the long one, and actually did find one. Very Happy
You will need a bracket for the throttle cable and the TV cable for the transmission of course...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:54 pm

I have the below bracket and cable on my new engine. They both fit great. You will need to trim the cable to fit since it's universal but its not difficult to install.

I don't have the same carb but I did install the below fuel line from Jegs. I'd ask Summit what their recommendations are for a fuel line with their carb.

Bracket:
http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-24283-Throttle-Bracket/dp/B000BPZ36A

Cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-2431-Braided-Throttle/dp/B0008G5FZ6/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KRCDPCZPXD78MJ3D2EP

Kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-2435-Throttle-Bracket/dp/B00BYWXWCQ/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KRCDPCZPXD78MJ3D2EP

Fuel Line
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/100811/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Last edited by Hawk03 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added fuel line link)
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:29 pm

The combo kit he posted comes with a fuel line, will need sonething that hooks the fuel pump to the new line though
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:31 pm

I use the original cable on my 77 with a holley and it goes WOT originally had a 305 2bbl. I use holleys throttle bracket its kind of a plate with a bracket that bolts to it that I modified for use with the Vortec manifold.

Last edited by ant7377 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:36 pm

looks like this but was in a holley box. Bought it years ago http://www.professional-products.com/Cable-Bracket-Kit-Steel-p229.html
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:19 pm

ant7377 wrote:looks like this but was in a holley box. Bought it years ago http://www.professional-products.com/Cable-Bracket-Kit-Steel-p229.html

I have the same style but my manifold is a Vortec bolt pattern.  That's a good price mine is an Edelbrock $34.00 (paying for the name LOL)

As far as the fuel line, I was able to reuse the original steel line from the fuel pump.  Used 3/8" rubber fuel line & a filter between that & the carb and it lined up really well.  Sometimes however the fitting for the fuel line inlet might be for 5/16" line.  Make sure it's for 3/8".
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Paul, maybe it was an Edlebrock box. The first George Bush was still president and I had a full head of hair when I bought it at Performance Center of America. Remember that?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:49 pm

LOL Ant- those were they days!

Hey Ramfett- what about this set up?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-03-0124/overview/make/chevrolet

Might be a little easier w/ all your GM parts considering this carb is more like a Q-jet & same CFM, plus the intake has an EGR port (assuming your running EGR on a stock 70's Chevy small block).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramfett Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:49 pm

Thank you so much everyone for all the great info! I feel a lot better about doing the swap now that I have a better idea of how it'll all work.

I don't believe I have an EGR valve on my engine, or at least not running to that location.

I was definitely reconsidering one of the kits with the brand name Edelbrock intake, which is more advantageous, a 600 cfm Holley or Edelbrock carb?

Ramfett
Ramfett
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:08 am

HOLLEY and I HAD ( key word HAD ) one of them no name manifolds NOT worth the money you save.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Matter of preference on the carb, each has it's own advantages/disadvantages. I prefer Holley carbs, ease of upgrade and tuning compared to an edelbrock. I know people who had issues with edelbrock carbs. Either one are good to go out of the box on a stock or slightly modified motor. I personally feel that Holley makes a better performing, more reliable, better looking, easier to tune and upgrade carb.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:47 pm

I agree (picked up a Holley last season after my Q Jet crapped out during engine break-in).  Easy as heck to tune and work on for sure.

Only problem/annoyance I had was with the orientation of the carb fuel bowls (back to front) as they interfered with the vacuum fitting for the transmission lines on the intake that I have.  This is not a problem with a Q-jet type carb, which rests and does not go too far off the intake's bore opening.  I ended up having to get a spacer (which Holley says may hamper performance if it's too thick) & I'm hoping that it won't be an issue with hood fitment also but will have to wait until the motor is back in the car to find out for sure.  I think it will be OK though as the spacer was only about an inch thick.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:54 pm

I had a 1" thick spacer with a Holley, 3" Fram filter, still had at least an inch of clearance with the stock hood.
Air Gap intake, Holley, 1" spacer, heat shield, and a 6" K&N filter.... That requires a hole in the hood!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:22 pm

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/4921748578.html
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down