G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket flat-tappet cams and no-zinc option?

+7
brownbomber77
BBMALIBU
ant7377
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
73ss
fishhead
michiganlarry
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aftermarket flat-tappet cams and no-zinc option? - Page 2 Empty Re: Aftermarket flat-tappet cams and no-zinc option?

Post by pila Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:49 pm

That's a great read for anyone installing a flat tappet set.
The one part I always stress for break-in, is ::DON'T LET IT IDLE !! Very Happy Idling, for even a short term, beats the hell out of the lobes & lifters...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket flat-tappet cams and no-zinc option? - Page 2 Empty Re: Aftermarket flat-tappet cams and no-zinc option?

Post by Joe73 Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:52 pm

I found it interesting the recommendation to fill the oil pan to within an inch of the engine block to aid in more splashing and oil vapors getting to the cam.
Never heard of that before. Interesting.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:17 pm

ant7377 wrote:Its not the added expense of the roller cam but the damage when one of the rollers lets go that scares me but maybe im being over cautious.

I believe the GM LS motors are equipped with roller lifters.  Durability shouldn't be a problem.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Since about '87 or '88, GM engines have had rollers. Must have been something about gas mileage (?) And of course the changes in oil, to satisfy emissions concerns about anti-wear additives like ZDDP etc..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:47 am

My brother has an aftermarket cam in his 350 Olds and I noticed it getting wiped out a couple years ago. The lobes were starting to show signs of scuffing to the point I suggested changing the cam. We dumped a bunch of gray stuff from NAPA and are pending results. New oil is junk for flat tappet.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 1cheapshot Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:43 am

Joe73 wrote:I found it interesting the recommendation to fill the oil pan to within an inch of the engine block to aid in more splashing and oil vapors getting to the cam.
Never heard of that before.  Interesting.

I wouldn't recommend this. To much oil causes aeration of the oil. Air isn't a good lubricant.
Joe Gibbs makes oil for the older flat tappet engines. Google it.
1cheapshot
1cheapshot
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:38 pm

One flat tappet cam wipeout I had was from letting a fresh engine sit for a few months, before running it, even after pre-oiling it before running it....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:45 pm

pila wrote:One flat tappet cam wipeout I had was from letting a fresh engine sit for a few months, before running it, even after pre-oiling it before running it....

I agree. I've read that several times. Thats why I didnt assemble my engine before doing my body work. When I do assemble it I will break it in within a week or two.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Every thing I've built over the years had flat tappets, and in these later years I just make sure the cam break-in is done right. That seems to be the way to assure that it lives...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:24 pm

The more mild the cam is with low spring pressures helps too.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2