G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mud flaps

+5
Hawk03
Limey SE
knightfan26917
ant7377
Keith Seymore
9 posters

Go down

Mud flaps Empty Mud flaps

Post by Wallyuph Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Is anyone here running mud flaps on their cars? I'm working on installing some Wilwood breaks and see some of very small rock chips in my wheel well lips and lower sections. Back in the day I ran the chrome ones with a black rubber section on the bottom but they don't make them any more. I like the looks with out but just wondering what people thoughts are on it.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Mud flaps Empty Re: Mud flaps

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:07 pm

I will be putting some on there when I get the quarters fixed and heres Johns

Mud flaps 11076182_1433393313619945_1170724209622051972_n
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks limey, considering the shape of the body I would consider mud flaps mandatory on a "nice" car.  My car had them on it when I bought it (all white ones) which I removed real soon after purchasing.  It didn't take long for the rock chips to start.  After it was repainted, they went on immediately.  The ones I have I paid like $8.00 a pair for in the early '00's from a local auto parts store.  Check eBay.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Exact same as Johns LOL

Mud flaps $(KGrHqJ,!rYFG-llUoTCBR4(pZGyn!~~60_12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-CHEVY-BLACK-Front-or-Rear-FLAT-PAIR-9-X-15-Splash-Guards-Mud-Flaps-/181714456244?hash=item2a4f068eb4&vxp=mtr
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Wallyuph wrote:Is anyone here running mud flaps on their cars? I'm working on installing some Wilwood breaks and see some of very small rock chips in my wheel well lips and lower sections. Back in the day I ran the chrome ones with a black rubber section on the bottom but they don't make them any more. I like the looks with out but just wondering what people thoughts are on it.

LMAO Get these John May swap ya  never know 16.99 for all 4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SETS-4-FLAPS-BLACK-AND-BLUE-CHEVY-MUD-FLAPS-SPLASH-GUARDS-9-X-15-000578R01-/121616229212?hash=item1c50e4635c&vxp=mtr

Mud flaps $_57
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:48 pm

I kinda like those, but the black & white match the tires perfectly.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 am

I always thought this was kinda clever (...if I do say so myself):

I've had these mudflaps on the car for about 25 years.  Just a regular generic flap but then I took a piece of textured black plastic to form a kind of "running board" behind the wheel, bridging horizontally between the flap and the rear bumper.  It's fairly discreet but it I never ever have to clean the molten rubber from the burnouts off the quarter panels.

Mud flaps Chevellerear_zpsd4c96cd6

Mud flaps Chevelle_zpse7213459

Mud flaps Chevelleburnout_zps3698251c
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:16 am

[quote="Keith Seymore"]I always thought this was kinda clever (...if I do say so myself):

I've had these mudflaps on the car for about 25 years.  Just a regular generic flap but then I took a piece of textured black plastic to form a kind of "running board" behind the wheel, bridging horizontally between the flap and the rear bumper.  It's fairly discreet but it I never ever have to clean the molten rubber from the burnouts off the quarter panels.

Sweet idea and on a dark color car it blends in nice.

I just scored on two sets of the ones I ran back in the day off eBay. I'll install them when they show up. I still plan to plastic dip the wheel well lip and a section to back bumper. I ordered up some clear plastic dip so will have to see what it looks like but when it gets bad I can just peel it off and reapply it. Curious what the molten rubber will do to the plastic dip stuff.

Mud flaps <a href=Mud flaps Mudd_f10" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am

Wallyuph wrote:
Keith Seymore wrote:I always thought this was kinda clever (...if I do say so myself):

. Curious what the molten rubber will do to the plastic dip stuff.

Hot rubber will spot the Plastic Paint where it hits it at after all its only plasitized paint, I don't think it would last or look right and Just go to Walmart or similar that's where I get my Plasti DIp at
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:01 am

When i take a trip i take binder clips and temporarly clip a set to the rear 1/4s. I used to have the plain chrome ones on both cars.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:50 am

these are the Ones that are going on Mine when I get the quarters fixed LOL There's nothing to hold them there right now with out looking retarded lol

Thanks to John Hating them I scored them and got the Match from ebay

Mud flaps $_57
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Those were given to my probably 15 years ago from my parents neighbor (who is now deceased).
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 pm

dynchel wrote:Those were given to my probably 15 years ago from my parents neighbor (who is now deceased).

I am really surprised i was able to find any on Ebay  and was only the next town over at that who would have  thunk ? I love them Actually just goes to show why our sport is so diverse as it is with everyone's likes and dislikes
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:17 pm

I still think they are ugly, but I'm glad you like & will use them. Very Happy
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:17 am

Wallyuph wrote:
Mud flaps <a href=Mud flaps Mudd_f10" />

My 1979 Caprice Classic has mud flaps like this, tho the lower rubber part has come off one of them. My 1989 Caprice Classic has generic black flaps.

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"The tables finally turned" __ Randy Travis / Carrie Underwood __ 'I Told You So'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:19 am

I've been throwing up in the toilet, during this entire thread. I don't like mudflaps on any G3's or muscle cars. My humble opinion means nothing, take no offense. I've bit my tongue for as long as I could.... I think I did very well to hold out for as long as I have!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:28 am

Oh come on now, we all know your sporting the Yosemite Sam "back off" mud flaps. Lol
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 am

chevellelaguna wrote:I've been throwing up in the toilet, during this entire thread. I don't like mudflaps on any G3's or muscle cars. My humble opinion means nothing, take no offense. I've bit my tongue for as long as I could.... I think I did very well to hold out for as long as I have!

I have been waiting for someone to respond like this LOL I knew we all couldn't like mudflaps aka Pocket protectors for burnouts
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:40 am

chevellelaguna wrote:I've been throwing up in the toilet, during this entire thread. I don't like mudflaps on any G3's or muscle cars. My humble opinion means nothing, take no offense. I've bit my tongue for as long as I could.... I think I did very well to hold out for as long as I have!

I have to agree with you, I'm not a fan. I do like ant7377's idea though and clip them on only when driving a distance. Has anyone tried using a paint protection film?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Automotive/Aftermarket/Our-Brands/Scotchgard-Pro-Series/#WhereToUsePPF
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:44 am

A coworker used to spray all exposed paint (on the front of his car) before a long trip (Ohio to Colorado) with plastidip. When he got home he just peeled the bugs off.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 am

I would agree I like the look with out, But here is my dilemma I drive my car any where and every where. Even up the gun flint trail on dirt/gravel/muddy roads in MN in the rain and it even snowed a little on that trip. Now with candy paint you cant just repaint a Qtr of fender and at 1500.00 for the paint alone not clear and shooting a whole car leads me to the 50.00 mud flaps as well maybe not so bad. Everyone is entitled to there opinions and that's the great thing we can all do what we like to make are cars are own.

I was surprised I could find some like my 73 had in high school. Its making this decision easier for me as it brings me more back to my youth.

Here is my  car back in high school. Its not the red 73 I have now.
Mud flaps <a href=Mud flaps Wallys10" />

Mud flaps <a href=Mud flaps Wallay10" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:16 am

I can see both sides of it. Someone needs to make retractable mudflaps.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:26 am

The wider the wheels the more you need them. My 15/8.5 reverse offset wheels would destroy the paint with out them.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:31 am

I'm glad I wasn't the only one... And I see both sides of the opinion, everyone has made valid points as well.
3M makes a clear protective that comes in a roll. That's what I've always used on the Lower quarters. 295/60's on the back on gravel roads kick up a ton of rocks!
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:36 pm

chevellelaguna wrote:I'm glad I wasn't the only one... And I see both sides of the opinion, everyone has made valid points as well.
3M makes a clear protective that comes in a roll. That's what I've always used on the Lower quarters. 295/60's on the back on gravel roads kick up a ton of rocks!

A buddy of mine put that 3M stuff on his trailer front that goes behind his gold wing. He said it still chipped it up and that's a bike. This is why I was going to try the plastic dip.

I wished I would have rock guarded the inner wheel well lip. I put two good coats of rock guard on before paint and clear on rear of well to back of QTR and nothing has chipped at that locations. But my rear marker lights and wheel well has a few chips.

As you see in the photos below its only a few chips and that's almost 6 year old paint job. I have so many coats of clear on it that you can not tell its road guarded on rear section.

Mud flaps <a href=Mud flaps Img_4210" />

Mud flaps <a href=Mud flaps Img_4211" />

As you can see by the dirt in the wheel wells it gets driven any where. One of these days I need to take the wheel off and scrub it in there. Here is a shot of new breaks. Just have new master Cylinder to install and that should wrap that upgrade up.

Mud flaps <a href=Mud flaps Img_4212" />

Mud flaps <a href=Mud flaps Img_4213" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down