G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stubborn @$$ Bolt!

3 posters

Go down

Stubborn @$$ Bolt! Empty Stubborn @$$ Bolt!

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:21 pm

Evil or Very Mad

So today I was changing an E-rake cable on the truck and I busted a bolt on a mounting bracket that the cable will need to attach to.

I was able to take the bracket off as it mounts behind the bolt that holds the R/R shock...tried heat, on the vice, with MAP gas, PB Blast & pliers to try and "uncrew" it.  It spins about 1/64 of a turn and then that's it- either way.

I really don't want to drill it out...any other ideas?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Stubborn @$$ Bolt! Empty Re: Stubborn @$$ Bolt!

Post by Joe73 Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Ive had some stubborn ones over the years. Heat is always the way I get it out. If mapp on the surrounding area dosent work then you have to go with acetylene.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Heat just need more of it...can also weld a washer on the broken bolt and weld a nut to the washer, that works for me every time.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:49 pm

I have no access to welding tools sadly. I'll try again with a longer dwell time w/ the map gas. Have to find my vice grips & see if I can get better leverage vs pliers too.

If all else fails I might take it up to the Firestone shop near me tomorrow...ugh.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Stupid question but your heating the area around the bolt, right? Not the bolt itself. Heat the hell out of the area around the bolt. Then try to turn.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Yeah Joe.  There's a nut welded to the bracket on the bottom where the bolt threads through & I heated to the left & right of it.  I'll try and get it at least pink or purple before trying to turn it again.  There is a small recess where that welded nut meets the top of the bracket (Chevy engineering!) & there's a lot of rust that has expanded to pretty much solidify those threads that are not exposed.  That seems to be the issue.  What a pain in the butt!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Try hitting the nut with a hammer..and a dolly to support the hammer blows... Then heat the nut red.
Can't just drill a hole beside the broken bolt and nut and bolt the e brake bracket back on? Or just drill out the broken bolt and the nut behind it and nut and bolt it thru the old nut... It's for the e brake... Dunno if I've ever used the e brake on any of my vehicles.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Put it back on the vice and just kept twisting the bracket around both ways with some brute force until it started moving more. Took about 10 minutes & I was ale to unscrew the bolt. What a P.I.T.A. Rolling Eyes
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down