G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Impala SS Tailpipes

5 posters

Go down

Impala SS Tailpipes Empty Impala SS Tailpipes

Post by sportster_restorer Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Seeing as how a 96 and older Impala, Caprice, Roadmaster, etc. rear end will bold into a 73-77 G3, it got me to thinking. If those rear ends bold into 73-77s, that means all the angles and pickup points on the suspension are the same. Which got me to thinking,,,,,would that mean a 93-96 Impala 2 1/2" set of tailpipes fit a 73-77, assuming you used a side in/side out muffler like the Impala SS's used? Dynomax seems to have these 2 1/2" tailpipes still in stock, and the price isn't bad on Amazon.

My 74 Laguna still has the factory single exhaust. I was thinking of an experiment of getting just the right side Impala SS tailpipe, and a 2 1/2" side in/side out muffler, and see how it all falls together.

I know the Dynomax Impala SS pipes used a resonator behind them, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with just a straight piece of 2 /12"

I know there are aftermarket kits for dual 2 1/2" pipes, but I was just doing a little thinking. And I've heard all of them have shortcomings. Most seem to be some adaptation of 65-72 setups, which had different rear suspension pickup points and angles.

Last edited by sportster_restorer on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected typos)

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Impala SS Tailpipes Empty Re: Impala SS Tailpipes

Post by brownbomber77 Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:36 pm

I think he length will be greater for the Impala. No harm in calling summit racing and asking about them

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:51 am

My '74 Malibu has the Summit duals kit on it, the 2 1/2 inch pipes.
Just plain steel though.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:09 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-46478-Replacement-Tail-Pipe-Brand-New-/231595819334?fits=Model%3AMonte+Carlo&hash=item35ec2fc146&vxp=mtr
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:41 am

eBay pipes are 2".........

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 77cruiser Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:26 pm

I'm not sure of these, but they say they are for our cars. I was thinking the 3" myself.Impala SS Tailpipes A-Body_Tailpipe_Kits__2015_04_09
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:39 pm

3 inch is gonna be too big unless you are running a really big engine, like over 500 Cu In. It's about velocity of the gasses getting burbles in a too-big pipe etc...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down