G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pondering...thoughts?

+12
Roadcaptain S3
73guna
ant7377
bigredlaguna
Laguna Budman
SSTOOLMAN
impalamonte
G3NUT
77mali
Hawk03
Joe73
clanceman427
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pondering...thoughts? Empty Pondering...thoughts?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:01 am

I've been banging my head for about six months or so.
I've got the 77 and it's a really nice, low mile mostly orig car. I like it just fine like it is.
Problem is, I've been itching for a little sportier SS or Laguna. I've been looking around and I gotta get serious now with winter here, "**** or get off the pot" my old grand dad would say.

I'm in the fortunate position to be able to do either of these

1. Take the 77 and put the Laguna nose on it, add 18 in wheels, lower it a little and maybe even add an LS.
2. Keep the 77 as is and find an SS or Laguna.

The problems? I can only drive one at a time, and I have limited storage space. If I got another car I could keep it at my friends house, but that's a 45 minute drive one way. Or I could rent storage close to home, but that tweaks my cheapskate bone.

I also feel kinda stupid wanting two different versions of the same damn car. I really like having a classier cruising vessel, but I also want the sporty version.

Thoughts?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Pondering...thoughts? Empty Re: Pondering...thoughts?

Post by clanceman427 Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:15 am

I guess it's up to you, I would just caution if you do go with an SS, remember, those were only 1973 for the G3 generation, and you won't be able to share many parts between your 77 and a new (to you) 73 SS from my limited (but growing) knowledge on these cars. Lots of "1973 only" if you go get a 73 SS. So if your limited on storage space....
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 73guna Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:40 pm

I understand your quandary and personally, I would get an SS or Laguna and sell the '77.
Nothing wrong with the '77 but it is what it is.

73guna
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:47 pm

That would be a tough choice for me. I love my ss but I really love montes as well. Had a 74 daily driver in the mid 80s and it was a great car.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:07 pm

If its a laguna you want, I would just buy one instead of trying to put the nose on the 77. Too much hassle for something you should be able to buy whole at a decent price. Driving to storage isn't bad - at least you would have some where to store the extra car.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:33 pm

No way I'd sell the 77. Love it too much. That's why I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to tinker with it.

To me a 73 SS or 74 Laguna is kinda like a Mustang, and the 77 Malibu is a Thunderbird.
They are different enough that I really like them both.

So I have to decide whether to have a T-bird and a Mustang, or create a Mus-bird.

I could all be a moot point anyway. If I get something else it's gotta be a 73 SS or a 74 Laguna and I ain't having much luck finding either.

Most of what I've found are ragged or too far away to go get.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Choice #3? Get a Firebird or Camaro & keep your 77 as is. Very Happy
Might be fun to have that combo.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:14 pm

77mali wrote:Choice #3?  Get a Firebird or Camaro & keep your 77 as is. Very Happy
Might be fun to have that combo.

It did cross my mind. I've had other cars but always come back to the 73 77s. I've figured out that the Mustangs, Impalas, T birds etc are like the neighborhood floozies that are only really good for a few rides. After a while they get fat and start bi***ing too much. Very Happy
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:28 pm

LOL....soooo true (especially fords!)
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:04 pm

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5333733466.html

I have a 74 chevelle Laguna Rere bbut commly known as the chevelle Ss ugly sister well I'm homeless I need to get a crib 1200 is my lowest I have a lot of parts for it new and used it needs floors & truck pans the the most motor and transmission mounts I have a transmission for it the one in it pulls fine you can drive it home she's a running A$$ car she needs spark plugs and wires witch I have all that and hella more call for me info 5136337494

Pondering...thoughts? 00a0a_9QjV3Xn2lbS_600x450

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Limey,
Messaged that guy last week. It needs floors and trunk pans (at least) and he didn't have any more pics.
I'm gonna try to get a look at it this week if he can bring it over to where I work. Not sure I want to get into something that needs as much work as that one.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Sell it... just don't regret it. Or keep both.
Don't listen to me though. I sell everything I buy lol!
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:07 am

FWIW, if you get another one, that's one more that gets saved from the crusher.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:17 am

You already know what you have with your '77.  Sometimes, you can find a better car, but most of the time you will inherit another list of unexpected issues.  If you like the '77 and hot rodding the appearance and/or the driveline will get you what you want, why not?  Plus, your expenses are the mods which can come over time, and not the initial cost of another car with more expenses like tax, title, and insurance.

Thanks -

Jerry
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:21 pm

I second Jerry's thoughts.......

You know what you have....more economical....

1. Take the 77 and put the Laguna nose on it, add 18 in wheels, lower it a little and maybe even add an LS.
( If keeping it original is not important )

Do it in your style....and have the only one like it !!!

impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:29 pm

I am partial to the SS, I looked on and off for 15 years before I found mine (the price/condition ratio had to be right before I would buy) i guess all your really getting is a couple of stripes and some bling badges. It may get a few extra looks, but usually from people who don't know anything about our cars and ask me "what is it?"
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:19 pm

I have my 74 finished, a 77 close, and one of my 73's started. I love these cars and all 3 will have a different look and style. My opinion, you can never have enough of them. Also, build them to your likes. Don't worry about others will think.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:15 am

If I had this quandary and the means to solve it, this is what I would do.

1) Keep the 77 and get the powerplant/drivetrain sorted out to your liking.
2) Get the Laguna nose and bumper shocks and paint to match.
3) Keep original nose pieces and swap them out according to what face you want to present.
4) Get springs/shocks that suit the exterior look for stance and ride quality or use an adjustable air suspension.
5) Mount points for bucket seats (sport mode) of your choice while retaining original bench (cruiser mode).

This way you could have two cars in one. It takes less space to store the nose pieces and seats than an entire car, and if you and a helper buddy can keep it under wraps, people will think you really do have twin cars.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:35 am

Laguna Budman wrote:I have my 74 finished, a 77 close, and one of my 73's started.  I love these cars and all 3 will have a different look and style. My opinion, you can never have enough of them.  Also, build them to your likes. Don't worry about others will think.

I agree. But I need a pole barn. Very Happy

I like the way you think.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:40 am

bigredlaguna wrote:If I had this quandary and the means to solve it, this is what I would do.

1) Keep the 77 and get the powerplant/drivetrain sorted out to your liking.
2) Get the Laguna nose and bumper shocks and paint to match.
3) Keep original nose pieces and swap them out according to what face you want to present.
4) Get springs/shocks that suit the exterior look for stance and ride quality or use an adjustable air suspension.
5) Mount points for bucket seats (sport mode) of your choice while retaining original bench (cruiser mode).

This way you could have two cars in one. It takes less space to store the nose pieces and seats than an entire car, and if you and a helper buddy can keep it under wraps, people will think you really do have twin cars.

This is really close to what I wanted to do. The only problem with the nose/headlight/grille swap is the paint match. I swapped the 74 grille and headlight buckets on, and they don't look great because my painter is old school and they were off by a couple of shades. I figure he couldn't do any better with the Guna nose. I may try to find a better 21st century guy, but you know how they are.

That's what led me to where I'm at. If I swap on the Guna nose, it's gonna have to be blended in with the rest of the car and would be basically permanent at that point.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:52 am

Paint both noses at the same time. If the paint color is off just a little bit, the paint can be blended on the fenders and hood to create a soft transition from one shade to the other. I've seen a tool used by a paint mixer that actually scans the original paint and then formulates a mix that will match the color exactly. It might not age the same, but that is where the blending technique comes into play.

However, it doesn't work if the shades are too far apart. Good luck on your life-altering decision here, lol!
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:25 pm

Just buy it. (Whatever it is) look if its not going to put you in the poorhouse how bad can it be? You will figure a way to make it work.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Tough decision, Bobby ... not sure what I'd do in your situation.  I suspect I'd buy a 2nd car & figure out a way to "make it work"....

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic  (awaiting new owner)
"Rockies are calling, Denver snow falling" __ Steve Wariner/Alabama __ 'Tennessee Christmas'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm eyeballing a 73 Malibu...it's nice but about a 2 hour drive and with the holiday it may be gone before I get there.

If I can get it for the right price and figure out how to get it home, I know what I'll do with the Laguna nose Smile
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:29 pm

The '73 Malibu isn't a black 454 from Indiana is it? If so PM me.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks -

Jerry
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next