G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trunk lid weather-stripping replacement

4 posters

G3GM :: Media :: Videos

Go down

Trunk lid weather-stripping replacement Empty Trunk lid weather-stripping replacement

Post by zucchi Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:28 am

I hadn't intended to record a video for this – after all, it's just weather-stripping, right? Well, just a few moments into removing the old weather-stripping, I discovered a string encapsulated within the weather-stripping. Here's the video:

I know the weather-stripping that seals the window-to-body on the doors of coupes has a wire in it, but has anyone else replaced their trunk weather-stripping and seen this? I'm genuinely curious why the weather-stripping would have an integrated string.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

jpowen49 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Trunk lid weather-stripping replacement Empty Re: Trunk lid weather-stripping replacement

Post by Joe73 Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:54 am

I replaced mine in the 80s and dont recall having that string. Probably just a different supplier was used or its been changed before you got the car.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Trunk lid weather-stripping replacement Empty Re: Trunk lid weather-stripping replacement

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:45 pm

Yeah I have a 76 Malibu and I don't remember a string either as with Joe. I would caution folks that at least on Chevelles many of these trunk weatherstripping repros don't seal correctly. Maybe they are trying to cover more variety of cars? Insist on strict OEM profile.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:45 am

Any weatherstrips that I have seen with a string (typically side door) are because of the assembly order.

Weatherstrip goes on first, then interior trim.  If the weatherstrip is supposed to shingle over the interior trim, either for appearance or to protect the trim, then you pull the string to quickly unzip the part and get the flap to cover over the edge of the trim.

Sunroof weatherstrip/trim is like that too, now that I think about it.  Sunroof and weatherstrip were installed as a unit in the body shop, then the headliner installed on the trim line.  Pull the string to get the flap on the weatherstrip to cover the edge of the headliner opening.

I can't imagine why a trunk weatherstrip would have it unless they use the same raw (extruded) material to make the part.

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:47 am

By the way, my trunk seal is original and does not have a string.

It is not a rubber part. It's more of a foam part.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:29 pm

There were a few weird things with this car when it rolled off the Fremont CA assembly line in August of 1974. The most beneficial was being equipped with HEI.

Other than this strange weather stripping, the Monte Carlo Landau badge for the B-pillar sail panel was only installed on the driver's side. The vinyl roof treatment didn't even have holes in it on the passenger side for the badge. Some years later when I peeled the vinyl off, I discovered the mounting holes in the sail panel where the badge should have been mounted. I'm surprised that omission got past the factory QC, dealer QC, and the first owner.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:42 pm

True. Fremont was a pretty "loose" plant, because of the California culture and distance from central office.

On the other hand, it was fairly common for us to build a truck that was a Chevrolet on one side and GMC on the other.

You can't see both sides of the truck at the same time, anyway (that's what we would tell ourselves).

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:25 pm

Keith Seymore wrote:True.  Fremont was a pretty "loose" plant, because of the California culture and distance from central office.

On the other hand, it was fairly common for us to build a truck that was a Chevrolet on one side and GMC on the other.  

You can't see both sides of the truck at the same time, anyway (that's what we would tell ourselves).

K

I think something like that happened with my 76 Chevelle although it was built at Doraville which had a good rep. I have an oil pressure switch build that was used for GM pickup trucks rather than the standard used on Chevelle cars.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:32 pm

That reminds me of another oddity; my A/C-heater blower motor is for a pickup truck.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down